Final Fantasy VII - Hidden Under Waves

Tuned Logic

Shame on me, I don't know the source tune. I'll just comment on the rest of it.

Soundscaping is great. Drums aren't, they're too dry, which certainly doesn't fit the theme.

You've got a great stereo soundscape, tho at times, there's some notes that seem to clash but on a second listen, I can't find them! 1:20, 1:27 sound like places you should look up, just in case.

I like the progression, bot rhythmically, melodically, and in soundscaping. This feels much like a compelte work, actually. Except the drums, that feel too dry, great example of that starting at 2:18, especially the snare. The tom coming in around 2:50 is another great example of not so great drum mixing. Too dry.

Transition to 3:20 feels a bit medley-itic, tho, and the first key movement there felt clashing. Look that up. Also, it's a little short for a final section, and doesn't blend well into the piano melody at the very end.

But overall, like stated, this feels much like a completed piece ('cept teh drums). I like it, it's got a wide range of synths and effects, and the technical aspects don't detract from the musical aspects. Fix the drums and occasional melodies and sections, and I think you could submit.

Which means I probably missed something. Source vs interpretation - anybody?

Liking the intro. Nice soundscapes as Rozo said. Beats are introduced well and fit the track. Haven't heard any direct source references so far, lots of subtle references though. Wtf tempo change, awesome. Hah, this is really taking off now.

Hrm, it was over half-way before I heard a melody that I could definately associate with the source tune. This might be an issue with the judges imo. Its extremely liberal so far. Awesome guitar solo there :D.

I must say, production wise, this is incredible. So many changes and transitions to different sounds pulled off well. In terms of interpretation we may have a problem, as its very liberal. The ending is also kinda meh, you could have done something similar to the intro instead of just switching off. Imo you should just go back over and add a few more direct takes from the source, especially in the first half, but thats just my opinion. Awesome stuff either way :3.

Liking the intro. Nice soundscapes as Rozo said. Beats are introduced well and fit the track. Haven't heard any direct source references so far, lots of subtle references though. Wtf tempo change, awesome. Hah, this is really taking off now.

Hrm, it was over half-way before I heard a melody that I could definately associate with the source tune. This might be an issue with the judges imo. Its extremely liberal so far. Awesome guitar solo there :D.

I must say, production wise, this is incredible. So many changes and transitions to different sounds pulled off well. In terms of interpretation we may have a problem, as its very liberal. The ending is also kinda meh, you could have done something similar to the intro instead of just switching off. Imo you should just go back over and add a few more direct takes from the source, especially in the first half, but thats just my opinion. Awesome stuff either way :3.

Thanks. Well, actually if you listen, I used the main two opening two chords of the original for much of the first half. The pitch was differentiated, so you may have to listen closely, but they're there. And yes, I realize I need to fix the ending. And the guitar solo wasn't me playing directly, I just did some mad EQing.

Is this where I say: "Like Fishy said, 'Nice soundscapes as Rozo said'?" :D

Anyway, there's of course loads of different things to do with the same melodic theme. Start it off before the beat and let it rest on another key; play it at half speed; play it in bits and pieces; cut it apart and divide the parts between two different instruments; move from plain repetition to repetition an octave up, or down, or both; play it with the bass; play it backwards... Those being some ideas I get from not even giving you another listen. :P With the fantastic soundscaping you've got, repeating the theme a few times isn't gonna be as much of a problem as not having it play more than once or twice is.

OCR could be called ThaSource at times, because OCR wants a lot of that in the remixes they approve. That, and an ending, next.

Thanks. Well, actually if you listen, I used the main two opening two chords of the original for much of the first half. The pitch was differentiated, so you may have to listen closely, but they're there. And yes, I realize I need to fix the ending. And the guitar solo wasn't me playing directly, I just did some mad EQing.

dude, you have to use the majority of the melody in your song at some point, otherwise, the judges will call it more of an original piece than a remix :(, so you better listen to Fishy lol.

Anyways, this is a beautiful piece of sexiness in a can. Very nice beats that aren't muffled/muddy and stuff. Your EQ work is pretty damn good, though the chords/Pads could be reduced a slight bit IMO so that the arpreggio can come out a bit more. But yeah your guitar work is excellent and the tempo change is well, a good change lol. Just add another minute and a half or so for your song and pretty much rip the main rhythm so the J's can go OOOHHH i know this source now ;), then voila 'tis finished mah boi. Keep up ze good work dooder

I'm kind of confused... Pretty much the whole song is the source; I guess it's not as recognizable as I'd thought. To me, this sounds more conservative, but I guess I got carried away. I mean, I guess you all are referring to the middle melody of the song that you want repeated. But, if you listen, starting at where the tempo changes, from about 1:23 to 2:23, is that same melody. I guess I'll repeat it one last time at the end.

I thought liberal mixes would be welcomed here *shrugs*. ;-)

I'm kind of confused... Pretty much the whole song is the source; I guess it's not as recognizable as I'd thought. To me, this sounds more conservative, but I guess I got carried away. I mean, I guess you all are referring to the middle melody of the song that you want repeated. But, if you listen, starting at where the tempo changes, from about 1:23 to 2:23, is that same melody. I guess I'll repeat it one last time at the end.

I thought liberal mixes would be welcomed here *shrugs*. ;-)

they are :P I just don't recognize it...maybe you picked a cruddy source song lol

they are :P I just don't recognize it...maybe you picked a cruddy source song lol

lol maybe. It's one of the only songs from Uematsu that I like. I don't respect him quite as much as most, because IMO Mitsuda outdoes him. He's still really good, though. Here's a source link for those who don't recognize this source tune: http://www.squaresound.com/midis/ff7/secretsleeping.mid

now i recognize it...not one of the more memorable songs of FF7 IMO, but oh well, lol. I guess thats why I didn't recognize your remix ><

I'm quite ashamed to say... I never played FF7. Yes, I know, and yes, I will... that is if I can find a copy that's not through the roof in price. I just don't think it can match Chrono Cross and Xenogears, but we'll see...

Anyway, I added a little more to the song, and I just need to insert one more section. After that, I'll post another update.

I think its leaning towards too liberal, but I'd still be fairly confident about submitting this. The overall soundscape and production is very intricate and interesting, and the original additions are very cool. New outro is sweet :D.

I can picture this creating a judgewar, all the moar reason to sub plz.

Haha, sweet :razz:. Anyway, I'll submit soon; still waiting to hear back on my other mix I submitted last month. It's on the list to be judged. If rejected, I wouldn't mind applying that advice to this.