Earthworm Jim -- New Jack City remix

ChironX

Hello everyone

I'm ChironX and I'm new to the OCR community. I've always enjoyed composing and video game music, and I think the remixes on here are just awesome. Here is a very, very rough early mix of the New Jack City theme (first stage) from Earthworm Jim for SNES. It's a very early mix, but I'd like to know what you think of it thus far. Any tips or suggestions? Thanks!

Here's the link:

https://webspace.utexas.edu/vo57/remixes/rough_njc_chi.mp3

Tell me what you think!

Thanks for the feedback! Yeah the snare is a bit...iffy. I'm gonna definitely work on that. Don't know what I was thinking when I typed New Jack City. It's New JUNK City. My bad. Here's a the remix after a bit of tweaking.

https://webspace.utexas.edu/vo57/rem...gh_njc_chi.mp3

oh man, this is epic now, very reminiscent savy, you'll make Earthworm Jim fans happy in the pants :D - I have no idea what the other people think of this though, so don't submit this yet until other ppl give more feedback.

The really resonant bass thingy keeps bothering me, it works if it's jsut briefly in the intro, it lasts too long here.

See if you can funk this up with more groovy bass. See if you can spice up the drums by doing a cutoff sweep. See if you can get some more elaborate synth performance. A keyboard player/jazz pianist would be awesome here, see if you can write something in that direction.

Overall, the only gripe I have with this is that resonant bass thingy. It's a bit short, it lacks an ending, and there's still stuff to improve in terms of arrangement, but for a first wip, this is "totally awesome".

The really resonant bass thingy keeps bothering me, it works if it's jsut briefly in the intro, it lasts too long here.

Overall, the only gripe I have with this is that resonant bass thingy. It's a bit short, it lacks an ending, and there's still stuff to improve in terms of arrangement, but for a first wip, this is "totally awesome".

I'm still amazed that this is a first try for a remix - you're way ahead of us other nubs here :P

Hey everyone,

Thanks so much for the feedback; I appreciate it!

HoboKa - thanks for the positive feeback; as a first time remixer, that really made my day. 8-) I fixed the drums up a little bit, so hopefully they're sounding a bit better, though I know they're by no means perfect yet.

Schwaltzvald - Thanks! I agree, it sounds a bit minimal and I've been thinking of ways to fill it out w/o losing the feel of the original piece. I think it starts to sound a little fuller at 1:26. What do you think?

JustChris - haha I guess I was right the first time. Let me know what you think when you get around to listening.

Rozovian - thanks for the feedback! I think I know what you mean when you're talking about the resonant bass; ironically, it's one of my favorite parts of the original song, but I had a real hard time trying mix it down to the rest of the piece. I'm probably gonna take it out in some parts. I was definitely thinking that some sort of jazz piano (rhodes, e piano, or organ) is exactly what this piece needs and I'm definitely going to work on incorporating that.

What exactly is a cutoff sweep?

There's a knob in many software synths called cutoff, it's essentially a single-knob EQ that reduces (usually) the high frequencies drastically. It's often used in electronic music to dampen stuff. there's a number of different cutoff parameters that you can set the knob to control, but usually, it's the high frequencies.

A cutoff sweep is when you cut off almost everything in the track, drastically, and then in a beat or two restore it to normal. This usually works best with a high-pass cutoff. I know Prophecy had a vgmix track that used this effect, but it doesn't seem to be up on vgmix x. Don't remember any on ocr either.

Add a high-pass or low-pass to the master and play with the settings to see what I mean. SInce it's a sweep you need, you need to automate the effect, I dunno if you can do that in whatever DAW you're using. If not else, at least you'll learn what it is.

For what cutoff is and means and how it works. The picture says more than the thousand words.

There's a knob in many software synths called cutoff, it's essentially a single-knob EQ that reduces (usually) the high frequencies drastically. It's often used in electronic music to dampen stuff. there's a number of different cutoff parameters that you can set the knob to control, but usually, it's the high frequencies.

A cutoff sweep is when you cut off almost everything in the track, drastically, and then in a beat or two restore it to normal. This usually works best with a high-pass cutoff. I know Prophecy had a vgmix track that used this effect, but it doesn't seem to be up on vgmix x. Don't remember any on ocr either.

Add a high-pass or low-pass to the master and play with the settings to see what I mean. SInce it's a sweep you need, you need to automate the effect, I dunno if you can do that in whatever DAW you're using. If not else, at least you'll learn what it is.

For what cutoff is and means and how it works. The picture says more than the thousand words.

Thanks for the reply...Now I know what effect you're talking about, I just never knew what the name for it is until now. I think that would definitely spice the drums up. Thanks for the tip. I'm learning something new each day. 8-)

• 2 weeks later...