Castlevania 4: remix of stage 3-2

HoboKa

http://www.tindeck.com/audio/my/plwe/Castlevania4_CastUntoHisFate_Ver2

I R back with yet another fun remix.

And I pretty much finished this song, just need to do EQ tweaking...(my major weakness). Well, hopefully you guys think that the song has direction and is cohesive too, if so then it should be relatively easy from here on out.

Fantastic. I'm sure others might say that it's too quite, but I love the mellow feel and piano work in this. I really can't tell what more this needs and I'm not too technical with my comments. I'll leave that to more inclined members, like Rozovian. If a remixer gets the "It's goin on my iPod" phrase from me, it means I really enjoyed the song enough to want to listen to it again. Annnnddd... this song is goin on my iPod.

Fantastic. I'm sure others might say that it's too quite, but I love the mellow feel and piano work in this. I really can't tell what more this needs and I'm not too technical with my comments. I'll leave that to more inclined members, like Rozovian. If a remixer gets the "It's goin on my iPod" phrase from me, it means I really enjoyed the song enough to want to listen to it again. Annnnddd... this song is goin on my iPod.

aw shucks. Thanks Boz. If all else fails, this would make for an awesome vgmix song anyways lol.

Okay now that I'm awake, here goes. CLIPPING! Pull down every knob at least 30% and increase the volume of your monitors during the mixing stage. Piano could do with being less mechanical, it's just going soft melody->LOUD CHORD->soft melody->LOUD CHORD. Voice is sequenced quite awkwardly as well, especially the note transitions sound off. And yeah, lack of direction, this mix isn't going places, but it sounds alright.

Okay now that I'm awake, here goes. CLIPPING! Pull down every knob at least 30% and increase the volume of your monitors during the mixing stage. Piano could do with being less mechanical, it's just going soft melody->LOUD CHORD->soft melody->LOUD CHORD. Voice is sequenced quite awkwardly as well, especially the note transitions sound off. And yeah, lack of direction, this mix isn't going places, but it sounds alright.

I suspected as much. Yeah lots of clipping to fix and volumes to adjust. As for the direction, I guess I should devise a tangible lead eh.

By the way Joren, do you think that a dark church organ would make for an awesome lead? I've got two half decent samples for that if you think so. If not, got any other suggestions? Thanks.

I really can't tell what more this needs and I'm not too technical with my comments. I'll leave that to more inclined members, like Rozovian.

Aww... Now I feel all warm and fuzzy inside. :D

Anyway, I like how the strings and the choir blend together. I'm not gonna look up the older version, but I see what joren means about soft melody->LOUD CHORD. You could make the melody LOUDER towards the end.

About half way through, there's enogh of a change to make it feel like it's another source track. I admit, I don't know the source. Towards the end of the first section, it could get louder, only to move softly into this next section.

This is a nice and soft piece, Alex, and I think that's good enough a direction as it is. Some velocity tweaks and maybe some tempo changes and/or occasional long loud (-ish) echo effects would be nice.

Nice is, btw, a great work to describe this. it doesn't have your usual genre-schizofrenia nor (yet) an attempt to sound totally awesome. *ahem* It's really nice, and I think it shoudl remain that way. Make it prettier. If you can d that with a church organ, it's fine with me, but you better do it really impressive if it doesn't stay _nice_.

Aww... Now I feel all warm and fuzzy inside. :D

Anyway, I like how the strings and the choir blend together. I'm not gonna look up the older version, but I see what joren means about soft melody->LOUD CHORD. You could make the melody LOUDER towards the end.

About half way through, there's enogh of a change to make it feel like it's another source track. I admit, I don't know the source. Towards the end of the first section, it could get louder, only to move softly into this next section.

This is a nice and soft piece, Alex, and I think that's good enough a direction as it is. Some velocity tweaks and maybe some tempo changes and/or occasional long loud (-ish) echo effects would be nice.

Nice is, btw, a great work to describe this. it doesn't have your usual genre-schizofrenia nor (yet) an attempt to sound totally awesome. *ahem* It's really nice, and I think it shoudl remain that way. Make it prettier. If you can d that with a church organ, it's fine with me, but you better do it really impressive if it doesn't stay _nice_.

the church organ idea went down the toilet...I've got too many low to middle end instruments as it is, hence the harp and pizzicato to balance that out. I've got some decent french horns and tuba samples though, they're really really nice for free samples in fact. I've got a lot more velocity and volume tweaking ahead of me, as well as a BIT more work on the composition for the first 1:00, because its a bit too dull and put-you-to-sleep ish, so I gotta make it more interesting. But yeah, this is a huge step up for me, and no one can tell me otherwise, if they do, well then they can go shove their head in a blender and press the button. Might make them look prettier ;)

ANYWAYS, thanks for your comments Rho: much appreciated man. If you wanna collaborate with me on this and help me get it done, by all means, gimme a shout, eh? Thanks, hope to see you on msn soon.

The harp needs more reverb, the water feels unneccessary, and the synth pad in the background doesn't fit well. It's too sharp. A really soft pad might be okay, but...not this.

Lose the water. Let it appear somewhere, that's okay, but letting it just sit there throughout is distracting. It sometimes feel like some kind of EQ'd noise. Not good. Cut it out earlier, let it be heard a few times, and cut ut out in between. I feel the same way about the birds.

There's some stuff that sounds too loud towards the end. While I recognize it as the ending, it's a bit too loud, there moight be some kind of distortion... Are you using lazy compression again? See if you cna smoothen stuff out in the louder sections without removing intensity.

Anyway, the water fits well into the beginning and the end, and some place in between, but it's too loud in the intro, and it needs to be removed from some parts so it doesn't distract the listeners. This piece has softer water, but I'm still annoyed at it when I hear it. That's in a piece where it's taken out a lot too.

Still, harp and strings are good. I like the sound.

As for EQ, don't get too excited. Just drop the right track a few dB at the right frequency. The goal isn't to EQ everything, it's to enhance the sound, bring out the important instruments, and ive the remix balance.

It's a bit quiet, but it occasionally peaks. That's a problem. Maybe using a limiter on the master and raising gain a few dB. It's now meandering about the 50% line, most music is a bit louder than that.

Also, some piano notes should be longer (longer decay/longer notes), perhaps some harp notes as well. The harp sounds mechanical in places, I recommend pulling back the attack a bit. If you can, do some _MINOR_ tempo variations where appropriate.

The ending tweaks are essentially this: the low piano keys should be louder. 2:15, piano soft. From 2:25, the piano should be booming, the harp should have its velocities move along with some rhythm you feel it should have. Save, experiment, listen, and compare.

Arrangementwise, I've got nothing to say short of a one-man applause: this is pretty. I'd YES this, but I would have YESed a number of my own too. In terms of direction, the whole song vanishes and returns towards the end, so it's a good progression in that sense. But volume mastering, and mixing, possibly some more arrangement tweaks for direction. If the source ratio is as it should be, I'd say you should submit when you're done mixing. Or you can come here to ask if we can hear something you've missed.

Few MIDIs are available about that game, but I could send you a couple of tracks I found.

For example "Crescent Moon Village" would be great to remix and so would the "Hurry Up" theme.

About CV4 2nd WIP, man, that can be submitted at once according to me! :D

not according to Hemo (one of the guys at #ocrwip) he says that it lacks harmony. He might be right, but he might be on crack as well, I think I'll submit it after I work on it some more and try to get it to sound crystal clear. My sample quality is pretty meh though, becase I don't have $500 to buy a decent sample library atm...

not according to Hemo (one of the guys at #ocrwip) he says that it lacks harmony. He might be right, but he might be on crack as well, I think I'll submit it after I work on it some more and try to get it to sound crystal clear. My sample quality is pretty meh though, becase I don't have $500 to buy a decent sample library atm...

Nah, Hemo is usually right when it comes to music theory etc. You often only use a fifth as a harmony, which is why it sounds empty. Try to fill the harmonies out by adding at least major and minor thirds (in the string chords for example etc.). And yes, this would probably get rejected based on sample quality and lack of a real chord progression/cadence.

Also, don't trick yourself into thinking that when a lot of people like your wip on the wip forums it's anything like close to submission. I actually had a 5-page long thread full of people saying how awesome that Castlevania wip was (including a jdgfgt!) and it still got rejected twice. Definitely pay attention to who's saying what and don't say Hemo's on crack just because he isn't swooning over your stuff like other <100 posts people here.

Nah, Hemo is usually right when it comes to music theory etc. You often only use a fifth as a harmony, which is why it sounds empty. Try to fill the harmonies out by adding at least major and minor thirds (in the string chords for example etc.). And yes, this would probably get rejected based on sample quality and lack of a real chord progression/cadence.

Also, don't trick yourself into thinking that when a lot of people like your wip on the wip forums it's anything like close to submission. I actually had a 5-page long thread full of people saying how awesome that Castlevania wip was (including a jdgfgt!) and it still got rejected twice. Definitely pay attention to who's saying what and don't say Hemo's on crack just because he isn't swooning over your stuff like other <100 posts people here.

Thought I felt you looming over my shoulder :P. Yeah, okay I'll try and do that. BUT man your castlevania song was pretty good, this site has way less interpretive/interesting rock songs on it, and it's being dinged just because the EQ quality isn't 100% fine. Anyways, I'm done bitching.

hey thanks for replying to my WIP thread.

IN RETURN:

HEY this has a harp and strings and stuff, too. It's pleasant. I am sort of familiar with the game's soundtrack due to my friend's semi-obsession with it, but I can't say I recall the original. It would be cool to hear it again. Anyway...

I got some criticism from someone regarding the dissonant chords in my terranigma thing. I know it's really tempting to try to break the mold a little, but without style surrounding the dissonant notes, they just sound like wrong notes. After hearing them (near the beginning, and 0:53) a couple times, then going back to the song, I can sorta' see the note. ...But for first time listeners it might be awkward. (Basically, style is key.) Or perhaps I'm in too much of a critiquing mood.

Definitely has a lot more texture than my WIP! (That ending song is a killer of ideas.)

Nevermind. Keep it up the great work ;)