I want to build you a computer

prophetik music

i think i posted that wishlist here before and it was pretty much the same. I got it all off of newegg. I'd post pictures of the inside but it's definitely not professionally done but works for me.

*COOLER MASTER Mystique RC-632S-KKN1-GP Black Aluminum/ SECC ATX Mid Tower Computer Case - Retail

*CPU; Intel Core 2 Duo E6750 Conroe 2.66GHz LGA 775 65W Dual-Core Processor Model BX80557E6750

*Kingston 4GB (2 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR2 SDRAM DDR2 667 (PC2 5300) Dual Channel Kit Desktop Memory Model KVR667D2N5K2/4G - Retail

*MSI NX8800GTS 512M OC GeForce 8800GTS (G92) 512MB 256-bit GDDR3 PCI Express 2.0 x16 HDCP Ready SLI Supported Video Card - Retail

*GIGABYTE GA-P35-DS3L LGA 775 Intel P35 ATX All Solid Capacitor Intel Motherboard - Retail

*500 gig SATA Western digital

*SAMSUNG 20X DVD±R DVD Burner Black SATA Model SH-S203B - OEM

*ZALMAN CNPS9700 LED 110mm 2 Ball CPU Cooler - Retail

*SILVERSTONE SST-ST75ZF ATX 12V 2.2 & EPS12V 750W Power Supply - Retail

*Microsoft Windows Vista 64-Bit Home Premium for System Builders Single Pack DVD - OEM

I got the free "The Witcher" game with my card but everytime after I install it refuses to boot up but I'll mess with it later, probably something simple I haven't patched or Driver'ed.

i think i posted that wishlist here before and it was pretty much the same. I got it all off of newegg. I'd post pictures of the inside but it's definitely not professionally done but works for me.

*COOLER MASTER Mystique RC-632S-KKN1-GP Black Aluminum/ SECC ATX Mid Tower Computer Case - Retail

*CPU; Intel Core 2 Duo E6750 Conroe 2.66GHz LGA 775 65W Dual-Core Processor Model BX80557E6750

*Kingston 4GB (2 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR2 SDRAM DDR2 667 (PC2 5300) Dual Channel Kit Desktop Memory Model KVR667D2N5K2/4G - Retail

*MSI NX8800GTS 512M OC GeForce 8800GTS (G92) 512MB 256-bit GDDR3 PCI Express 2.0 x16 HDCP Ready SLI Supported Video Card - Retail

*GIGABYTE GA-P35-DS3L LGA 775 Intel P35 ATX All Solid Capacitor Intel Motherboard - Retail

*500 gig SATA Western digital

*SAMSUNG 20X DVD±R DVD Burner Black SATA Model SH-S203B - OEM

*ZALMAN CNPS9700 LED 110mm 2 Ball CPU Cooler - Retail

*SILVERSTONE SST-ST75ZF ATX 12V 2.2 & EPS12V 750W Power Supply - Retail

*Microsoft Windows Vista 64-Bit Home Premium for System Builders Single Pack DVD - OEM

I got the free "The Witcher" game with my card but everytime after I install it refuses to boot up but I'll mess with it later, probably something simple I haven't patched or Driver'ed.

do you like that cooler? i've been looking into getting a new one, and that was one that i was looking at.

i just bought the 650w version of that silverstone psu - it's a fantastic supply as a whole. i LOVE it.

if the game itself doesn't boot at all, go to the website for it and dl the patch for 1.2 - it's got both a patch that should fix the boot issue AND a bootpatch that'll fix it if the first one doesn't. although, i don't remember how witcher works on vista, i've only ran it on xp. it's one of the few games i own that works better on an x64 xp system than anything else, actually.

do you like that cooler? i've been looking into getting a new one, and that was one that i was looking at.

i just bought the 650w version of that silverstone psu - it's a fantastic supply as a whole. i LOVE it.

if the game itself doesn't boot at all, go to the website for it and dl the patch for 1.2 - it's got both a patch that should fix the boot issue AND a bootpatch that'll fix it if the first one doesn't. although, i don't remember how witcher works on vista, i've only ran it on xp. it's one of the few games i own that works better on an x64 xp system than anything else, actually.

I like the cooler. the lights are a bit much, but the inside is really nice. The hard drive bays especially. snap in and out really easy. The silverstone PSU really has a ton more stuff than i need but it's pretty sweet for the price, i got it for 120.

@gt - i'm up for hand delivering stuff for whoever, as long as it's reasonable. however, up to this point i have mailed almost everything i've built. so, yeah, i'll ship to cali...

What shipping company do you use? And where can you ship to? P.O. boxes? Does the price of shipping get tacked on to the price of the computer? I wouldn't mind paying for it... once I have money to buy one in the first place.

i'll ship anywhere in the world - as long as you pay for high-quality shipping. the last two computer's i've sent out have arrived with the shit kicked out of them (neo destiny's video card FELL OUT of its pci express slot, meaning that it slipped the plastic plug that holds it in AND the clip that Transformer cases use to hold in expansion slot stuff and got unplugged as well...wtf?), so i'm not using USPS or UPS any more unless it's with one of their more premium services. i don't want to deal with this bullshit anymore.

I've been told that keeping the comp parts exposed is actually worse for circulation. Truth?

What, you mean like leaving the case open?

It's my understanding that that's bad since you wouldn't necessarily get a directed flow, so you might not get any airflow at all on some parts that need it.

basically. it also introduces contaminants into the system, which hinder airflow significantly.

Contaminants get in there anyway, whether the case is open or not. (Dust)

What really harms airflow is the lack of a vacuum created by the rear case fan and power supply. With the case closed, the vacuum literally sucks the heat out. With it open the heat has nowhere to go, and it stagnates.

This theory only works if you have good airflow in the first place however, if you have cables and wire ties and everything strewn everywhere it does not work as well.

• 4 weeks later...

so i'm thinking seriously about getting water cooling for my case. my load temps are in excess of 70 degrees C when i'm not overclocked, and it's to the point of my computer shutting down when it's OC'd. it doesn't help that my case is sitting under a desk at with a closed back, or that i don't have the i/o panel for the mobo installed, either - but WC is the logical next step anyways, so i'm going to go ahead and do it.

• 3 weeks later...

With regards to dedicated vs. integrated graphics cards:

I understand that the difference between the two is that the former has memory dedicated to displaying the graphics. On the other hand, an integrated graphics card relies on the system's RAM. My question is, could it perhaps be better to increase RAM rather than upgrade from an integrated to a dedicated graphics card? I figure an extra gig of RAM should work better than 128 mb of dedicated system memory.

Of course, I am not certain and that's why I'm asking. I've a feeling that the efficiency gain of a dedicated card as well as those 128 mb moving it's data faster may make a difference bigger than the numbers would suggest.

And the other reason I'm asking is that I've become a bit of a cheapskate regarding computers these days.

pretty much, integrated graphics are shit. just get a card - even a cheapo 8400 is better than any integrated graphics out there. you can get them for like 20 bucks.

video ram is a difference, but another part is the difference in processing abilities and optimization between your cpu and your gpu. when i build systems, i'll stick 4 gigs of ram into it - but until i install the graphics drivers, the system still lags on simple visual elements that the most basic graphics card could handle. it's just the nature of the thing - nowadays, you can't survive without a graphics card.

• 2 months later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Looking for a new, preferably smaller form factor (cube, server rack, slim tower) machine as a sample farm. What kinda price can you get me;

* 2.4ghz quad core, minimum (45nm preferred, eg. Q9550, but give me a range of prices vs. Q6600, preferably)

* 8gb RAM - DDR2

* 500gb hard drive, 640gb is OK if it's only marginally more expensive

* Don't care about video at all, but no integrated video

* No audio card needed

* MOBO needs to support processor NATIVELY!!! With no bios update. Also, needs gigabit lan.

* No OS needed, I'll use Windows XP 64bit