I want to build you a computer

prophetik music

flash is cpu-dependent. not related to discrete graphics, unless it's a specialty dependency.

i can do a budget machine pretty easily. depending on how budget, you can go anywhere from the lowest sandy bridge processor (the 2120) to middle-of-the-road AMD stuff. for that low-end stuff, amd's prices are better, but you get a lot less for your buck.

what's your budget?

Just wanted to post a little thank you note for referring me the parts for my own build, Brad.

My rig runs screamingly fast! I ran Just Cause 2 at max settings and 32xAA so smooth while installing other games and leaving various stuff open in the background (and staying around 50 celsius the whole time). Projects I had at over 100% CPU on my old computer are now 20-30% on this machine. I am really happy with this machine. :D

If anyone want the specs (or pics if you're that interested), just PM me. Brad really helped make the most out of my budget, and I am not disappoint. :<

flash is cpu-dependent. not related to discrete graphics, unless it's a specialty dependency.

Ah. I forgot about that.

i can do a budget machine pretty easily. depending on how budget, you can go anywhere from the lowest sandy bridge processor (the 2120) to middle-of-the-road AMD stuff. for that low-end stuff, amd's prices are better, but you get a lot less for your buck.

what's your budget?

As low as possible without sacrificing too much on capability. Trying to stay under $300. It doesn't have to be too much better than a computer built in 2002 with a 2.4GHz P4 and an nVidia GeForce4MX graphics card (what he has now). Like I said, really budget. The reason being is that my dad's funds are being sucked away in large amounts by other things, but he does need a replacement computer. The current one is finally kicking the bucket; it's slowing down to absurd levels these days, and nothing I do is fixing it.

The replacement probably doesn't need even 100GB of drive space, but it does need to have at least two cores and, like I mentioned, preferably a graphics card of some kind just to support some of the games he does play. I don't intend on this being a computer that has to last a great many years, just long enough for him to get back on his feet financially so he can afford something better.

300$, you'd be better off buying whatever trash they're selling at the local computer shop used. i charge 50$ for OS installation and testing, so you're looking at roughly 225 for parts after the assembly fee. it's just too little, really, to get anything =( not to mention it's almost not worth my time to assemble.

just go to sam's club or best buy and get the cheapest laptop there. they usually run 300$ sales for that stuff.

kick-ass? nope. can it play crysis 2? sure. but C2 ain't the game that brings systems to their knees. metro 2033 is. and this can't do metro 2033 - likely at all - on 1920x1200 =) also, they went with a horrid PSU, a bad cpu (they went with AMD because they're worried about the one that's there being phased out for a cheaper one that's better-performing, but their mobo got phased out? riiiiight), and a bunk HDD. 30$ for a PSU? i think not =)

cheap is cool, but that's a little too low-end for me. note that the CPU and GPU is almost 60% of the cost of the parts. noooo thank you!

maximum pc's articles about budget building are way better, and way better researched. here, they're just trying to sell their 550 TI card, when AMD offers way better price-performance ratio in that price range.

just lots of faulty logic, unfortunately.

halcyon, i can't wait to do a crazy weather-modeling machine for you. bobby's machine was specially designed for audio only - doing one that's all raw power all the time will be bloody awesome. 12 cores and 24gb of RAM, here we come!

• 4 weeks later...

bumpin this shit sooooo hard

I would like to get a new tower case, and new hard drive.

Current tower is mid-size, housing 2 CD drives (k 1 drive and an audiobox thing), 2 floppy drives (k 1 floppy and 1 universal card thing), I think there's 2 front fans going, a side fan, and a rear fan... houses 3 hard drives (a new one might make it 4), and 5 various card things in the back (will probably remove 2 and bring it down to 3). Not looking for something amazingly fancy, just reliable. Would like to spend under 100 bucks (canadian).

The hard drive I'm looking for at least 1tb. Again, reliable. Preferably indestructible. Hopefully, under 100 bucks (canadian).

Much obliged.

I think for a mixing computer it really depends on how demanding your sample libraries are. A fast HDD, a good amount of RAM and a non-bottleneck Processor should be the priority. Stuff like a GPU can be completely skimped on and shave off like $200 if it really is intended exclusively for mixing.

For reference, I recently upgraded to 16 gb ram and an i7-2600 and I still haven't gotten anywhere near maxing it out even with all of LASS, Superior 2.0 with full bleed on, etc.

400$ is a tough number, simply because of how pricing works with me. i charge 50$ for system testing and OS installation, and 10% of the parts for a handling and assembly fee. for a big system, 50$ is piecemeal, but for a smaller system, 50$ is a major chunk of change. you'd be looking at roughly 325$ for parts max, which is a very, very minimal amount. for 400$ plus shipping, i could do a tri-core AM3 system (3.1ghz, 3 cores) with 4gb of RAM, 500gb HDD, dvd burner, and basic integrated graphics. i don't like AMD systems, but that's all that's available in this price range. the graphics are next to nothing, but most casual internet games are flash- or silverlight-based, which is dependent on the CPU and not graphics card, so you should be mostly fine for that kind of stuff. you can always add a cheap graphics card in for under 50$, just plug and chug and install the drivers.

i'll pm you some more information.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 5 weeks later...
relyance's system fell through due to personal stuff, so i used his parts and build RECKENEFIN of paper mario project fame a computer. i7-870, GTX 460, 4gb of RAM, TX650 PSU (it came in a velvet bag inside the box :< ), and an asus P7P55-E deluxe mobo, which is gorgeous and awesome and i want it now.

RECK is one lucky dude...

in more recent news, i just got the payment for a computer for greg michalec (sole signal). we'll be using the brand-new Sandy Bridge processors for his system, which is primarily a music and video editing machine.

And it's running great, once I discovered the cause of the freezeups; RAM was jostled during shipping and wasn't completely seated. Now it breezes through my largest projects without breaking a sweat. :smile:

And it's running great, once I discovered the cause of the freezeups; RAM was jostled during shipping and wasn't completely seated. Now it breezes through my largest projects without breaking a sweat. :smile:

=) i'm so glad that that issue is over with. i can't believe that the ram actually got bumped that much.

• 1 year later...

Ah! this thread! oh how I've forgotten you!

This reminds me why I need to save my money. I did get a laptop for Christmas (finally have my own computer wooooohooooo), but just because it runs x64bit windows doesn't mean it's built for music. Hopefully I can get the funds for Brad to build me one of his famed magic machines