I want to build you a computer

prophetik music

So after finding out USPS sucks, I got my desktop today after waiting outside for over 5 hours!

It was well worth the wait though - computer is <3 !

Thanks Brad!

good to hear you got it fine. i am so frustrated that they still required a signature after i made a stink of myself at the desk and signed the form and everything.

I don't need a new system yet (the one you built me like 3 years ago is still running strong as a fucking ox) but tell me about this deal please. I'd much rather buy from you than anyone else I can think of. :)

basically, my fee is reduced to 5% the cost of parts plus 50$, instead of 10%. for smaller machines it isn't a huge savings (which, honestly, i get so little from them that there's not much left anyways) and for big machines it can be a pretty large discount.

Just bumping this thread to write up a review of the build I got from prophetik a few weeks ago.

This thing is amazing. The guy knows his stuff. I'd been using a Sony VAIO throughout college, and it just didn't cut it for serious creative work. With the extra processing power and the solid state drive, boot-up time is about 20 seconds. And I have yet to run into any kind of lag or artifacts while running my DAW. This helped immensely when I was working on my track for the upcoming FFVI album. The quality of my work has improved thanks to the new hardware, and to me, that's a more important indicator of quality than the computer's specs.

Aside from the computer itself, prophetik provided great service. I'm not well-versed in hardware, but he was able to figure out what I needed and more importantly, what I didn't need. This helped keep the cost down while ensuring the computer would perform well where I needed it to. I just got Starcraft II and it runs perfectly on the low-end graphics card he chose for me. If you're not comfortable building your own PC, definitely contact prophetik. The fact that he provides consultation free of charge puts him above tech stores and other companies.

Another positive experience, here. I eventually decided to build my rig myself, but back when I thought I was going to order from Brad, he was exceedingly helpful, spending a half hour or so on the phone then answering additional questions via e-mail and giving a couple potential builds with various options, noting price and performance differences. Knew his stuff (obviously) and was a very cool dude and easy to hash stuff out with. For various health/work/misc reasons on my end, I ended up putting things on hold for months and then cancelling the order, but I felt assured when I was preparing to order from Brad that I was going to get a solid, reliable rig. [And I paid him half his base fee because I thought it would have been a dick move to go halfway through the process and not give him anything for it.]

I know that doesn't hold weight the same way as other experiences do - from people who sealed the deal and are happy owners of prophetik computers - but I thought it couldn't hurt to add it and I wanted to give a public recommendation/thanks-of-sorts.

• 2 weeks later...

Oh my gosh, the ultimate husky rig actually broke down. This computer.

Apparently it overheated and then the water pump went out.

Details at

in the video.

Anyone want to guess how much that computer cost? I'm serious, I don't know. Last time this question was proposed, prophetik asked "the hardware or the dressings?" And I never answered him. But I'm still curious, do does anyone know how much the individual components cost?

Edited by Thin Crust

get me a parts list and i'll get you the cost. i'm really tired now and not super into listening to that mouthbreather too much XD

Motherboard: X79 from EVGA FTW edition

evga geforce gtx 680 2gb. (3 of these)

water cooling with UV blue tubing with monsoon gold colored fittings.

2 Terrabyte hard drive (3 of them) With Crucial Adrenaline SSD cache

"We're also just for giggles gonna throw in a 256 gig SSD also from Crucial.

"32 gigs of Crucial ballistics mark tracer. Tactical tracer"

Enermax cooling fans (What's the point of fans if you're doing water cooling?)

1200 watt power supply with custom gold and blue cables (?)

"This is a 45° fitting. You will be the first person to use these in your build on the planet" (Somehow I doubt that)

"We also wanted to have some cutting edge lighting. ForcePC sent us the new monsoon helios LED spotlight. This allows us to shine a high powered spotlight to any particular component that we want." I'm guessing to make it all blue and pretty.

Some sort of pure sliver plug (Couldn't make out the name. It's at 5:54 in the video)that will "prevent any corrosion or algae buildup in your system"

I don't know what any of this stuff is really, so I hope this is enough information.

Motherboard: X79 from EVGA FTW edition

evga geforce gtx 680 2gb. (3 of these)

water cooling with UV blue tubing with monsoon gold colored fittings.

2 Terrabyte hard drive (3 of them) With Crucial Adrenaline SSD cache

"We're also just for giggles gonna throw in a 256 gig SSD also from Crucial.

"32 gigs of Crucial ballistics mark tracer. Tactical tracer"

Enermax cooling fans (What's the point of fans if you're doing water cooling?)

1200 watt power supply with custom gold and blue cables (?)

"This is a 45° fitting. You will be the first person to use these in your build on the planet" (Somehow I doubt that)

"We also wanted to have some cutting edge lighting. ForcePC sent us the new monsoon helios LED spotlight. This allows us to shine a high powered spotlight to any particular component that we want." I'm guessing to make it all blue and pretty.

Some sort of pure sliver plug (Couldn't make out the name. It's at 5:54 in the video)that will "prevent any corrosion or algae buildup in your system"

I don't know what any of this stuff is really, so I hope this is enough information.

love how they use useless stuff - like an ion bank in the silver plug - to make themselves sound super cool. it's a lot of nice hardware, but honestly i can't imagine myself using all of that crap only to cycle in new parts in six months.

also, 45d fittings aren't new. i use them all the time in watercooling kits with fat tubes that don't bend well.

I thought that was implicit, which is why I didn't say anything about it.

Well, I wouldn't say water cooling systems are exactly common knowledge for those who aren't as versed in tech as some of us. I have seem some folks who are under the impression that you can ditch fans completely with water-cooling, which of course isn't true.

• 1 month later...

My brother is going to buy a computer tomorrow. He sent me the link for it and I was hoping you could confirm or reject his choice. He doesn't want to spend more than $500, he doesn't want a refurbish, and he wants a laptop. Could I get your guy's take on it?

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/Lenovo+-+IdeaPad+15.6%26%2334%3B+Laptop+-+6GB+Memory+-+750GB+Hard+Drive+-+Graphite+Gray/8890508.p?skuId=8890508&id=1218931036140#tab=overview

Can you install a computer inside a small beer fridge instead of trying to cool it with fans and whatnot? Peirce it for the cables then seal with epoxy or I dunno ?

no. most fridges can barely cool themselves, and the condensation created would nuke just about any system.

Ooh, can't wait to see those pics! I've been thinking about using a closed-loop watercooling system for my next full build, so I'd love to see how you did with it.

the h60 is a pretty nice unit (there are better out there but not better price/performance in that price range). you just strap the cooler on and then put the radiator unit either between the rear 120mm fan or behind it, so that it pulls air through it to cool everything. easy to install and effective. once the dvd drive gets here tomorrow and i can actually finish the build, i'll post some pics.