I want to build you a computer

prophetik music

• 3 months later...
Start with a budget.

Can't install from USB?

sure i could, but i didn't have a build ready OR a functioning dvd drive in my system. it had died like a week or two beforehand.

bottle rocket, i'd need a bit more information about what you're looking for really before i could recommend anything. if it's just general use and you're doing it yourself, you're welcome to just get whatever maximum pc is recommending at the time, since they're usually decent guidelines.

This has been one of my more recent dreams actually, to build myself a computer. It'd be a gaming / entertainment computer as I have my iMac for music production. I just wanted to chime in, even though the OP was asking to build a PC for other people. Now... if only I had some extra money...

*EDIT* I forgot to ask... where would you guys recommend the best place to buy parts from? Is there any online site that ships worldwide, and are there any guidelines? Anything a newbie should know first before tackling a project like this? I don't mean to steal thread but I'm genuinely curious. :) Thanks!

i'd need a bit more info than that. i've done some stuff with touchscreens but not any custom work, if that's what you're asking.

I'm wanting to try and build an android-powered device from scratch, with a touch interface. i was asking because I was wanting to know if you had any recommendations for this or not.

I'm wanting to try and build an android-powered device from scratch, with a touch interface. i was asking because I was wanting to know if you had any recommendations for this or not.

i've never done anything like that =) i'm assuming it's just a matter of checking compatibility - android's got so much out there that almost all components are documented with functionality lists and everything.

• 3 weeks later...

I'm wondering, can you get a good deal on a tower that has the mobo and CPU already in it?

I see deals like this for $109 and I really need an upgrade (currently sitting at 2.5ghz bottlenecked)

But I know nothing about putting a CPU on a mobo or replacing any of that stuff, so I wouldn't want to risk damaging anything. All the other parts of my computer have been replaced, so I basically already have a custom thing but with the original mobo/CPU.

I put in a 750W power supply, the GTX670, firewire card... I guess that's all there really is to it... Can probably swap out the DVD drive in this if I need to... so just wondering, what are my options?

Replacing the CPU is as easy as lifting a small locking bar, lifting the old one out, dropping the new one in, and closing the small locking bar. Slap a few drops of thermal paste on that bad boy and spread it around evenly, plop the cooler back on, and you're good to go (or if you want to use the stock cooler that particular processor comes with, thermal paste isn't even necessary.) In terms of installation, it's probably one of the easier things to do. Sure, the pins on the bottom of the processor are pretty delicate, but so long as you aren't scraping the thing across your motherboard or something, it should be fine.

If you can do all of the other stuff you have done to your system without any issues, you shouldn't have a problem handling CPU installation.

Something to consider: If you buy a motherboard/processor combo deal, they both may come packaged separately.

As for thermal paste: I'm not sure how you could have an accident with it as it's a fairly self-explanatory process, but I do know that you wouldn't even need to worry about it with that processor you linked to, as it comes with a cooler that has thermal tape already attached to it. Unless you have an aftermarket CPU cooler that you want to use, you wouldn't even have to worry about thermal paste at all.

What are the specs of your current system? If you have older DDR2 RAM, there aren't many modern boards that use it, so a RAM upgrade would likely be in the cards as well.

Edited by KyleJCrb

I don't know anything about buying a CPU or Mobo, that's why I came here! I know that my 670 is bottlenecked, and an upgrade is needed. I'll probably have to replace the RAM too like Kyle said. I've got a little money saved up but probably not enough. I got scheduled less days this month too, and counting in MAGFest, I don't have quite as much available as I have saved.... some of it already is allocated to things like MAGFest.

I'll post my PC's stats when I get home if I remember, working until 2:30pm est.

I don't know anything about buying a CPU or Mobo, that's why I came here! I know that my 670 is bottlenecked, and an upgrade is needed. I'll probably have to replace the RAM too like Kyle said. I've got a little money saved up but probably not enough. I got scheduled less days this month too, and counting in MAGFest, I don't have quite as much available as I have saved.... some of it already is allocated to things like MAGFest.

I'll post my PC's stats when I get home if I remember, working until 2:30pm est.

i'd want to see everything before i declared anything, but you'd probably be looking at an upgrade on your cpu and mobo (possibly ram) depending on what you've got.

one other question - how old is your PSU, and do you run it 24/7 or just when you use it?

I think I use the PSU 24/7, computer is always on, eh?

How do I find out what the mobo is? Here's the other stuff:

Operating System: Windows 7 Ultimate 64-bit (6.1, Build 7601) Service Pack 1

System Manufacturer: Gateway

System Model: DX4300

BIOS: Default System BIOS

Processor: AMD Phenom II X4 805 Processor (4 CPUs), ~2.5GHz

Memory: 8192MB RAM

Available OS Memory: 8192MB RAM

Page File: 3642MB used, 12738MB available