prophetik music

I want to build you a computer

554 posts in this topic

If it shows how long it's been since I last actively lurked OCR, I didn't realize that Nabeel had changed his handle.

Here's a fun escalation of this case: The computer does not boot with said drive connected (BSOD error "Bad_System_Config"), but will boot just fine if I disconnect this storage drive. I can even hot-plug the drive in after boot and access files just fine, but as long as the HDD is connected during the windows boot sequence, I get a BSOD error.  I called microsoft custserv, and they recommend running chkdsk but only after I back up the drive, which means I need to find a 3TB disk in the near future.  They also sent my case to a seperate MSFT tech support team, who I won't hear from until later this week.

In short, I have no idea what's going on.

2 hours ago, misty78 said:

Lost most of my money on cryptocurrencies, could not cough up the 1700 even if my life depended on it.

My deepest sympathies.  I'm almost too scared to touch that realm, for that very reason.

16 hours ago, Anorax said:

Here's a fun escalation of this case: The computer does not boot with said drive connected (BSOD error "Bad_System_Config"), but will boot just fine if I disconnect this storage drive. I can even hot-plug the drive in after boot and access files just fine, but as long as the HDD is connected during the windows boot sequence, I get a BSOD error.  I called microsoft custserv, and they recommend running chkdsk but only after I back up the drive, which means I need to find a 3TB disk in the near future.  They also sent my case to a seperate MSFT tech support team, who I won't hear from until later this week.

during boot, the computer attempts to initialize all the drives. sounds like there's something that's causing that service to choke during boot that windows itself is fine with.

replace the drive immediately. don't use it unless you absolutely have to.

14 minutes ago, prophetik music said:

@misty78, you'd be surprised what you could do with a much smaller budget, i think. depends on what you're doing though.

If and when I ever have a budget, you will be the first guy I talk to when I need a custom built computer. :P