Producing a Background Choir Effect

Hey, I'm trying to figure out the best technique to make my own background choir sound. It will be behind a guitar solo for harmonic enrichment. (I use producer edition of FL, btw)

How do I make it sound like an ambient "chorus" and not just many of the same voice? Should my vocal harmony be more than one note? What effects (panning, reverb, etc.) should I put on?

Yes, what you want to do is record multiple harmonies - if you're dealing with 3 or 4 note chords, you should have 3 or 4 separate tracks (one voice singing one part.) It definitely helps to have a bit of experience singing or arranging for voice so you know how to write a sensible set of parts. Once you have your multiple tracks, layer them together and pan them widely. Add reverb, possibly some delay, and EQ down the low end. You can easily get a "pad" style vocal sound.

Now if you want a literal CHOIR kind of sound, that's going to be hard with one person. Unless you have a dedicated vocal processing plugin like Antares Avox I'm not sure if it's really possible to do it convincingly.