listening choices

Patrick Burns

1, I guess. It's kinda ambiguous. I listen to all the remixes, and then purge the ones I really don't like. I won't purge those that I'm "eh" about and listen to every once in a while; it's only those I would never listen to. Which means most of what's on the site is still around on my hard drive. I've only purged a fraction of the total.

I feel anyone who has any other listening habit at OCR other than option 1 misses out on a lot of good, free stuff.

That may be true, but if I don't have some kind of prior connection to the music then it's much harder for me to appreciate. It's like what usually happens with me and Weird Al: I end up hearing his version before the song it parodies. Sure, it's still funny, but if I actually heard the original first I would be able to find his songs that much more humorous.

I guess I fall into category 2. I tend to download more new remixes from games and artists I recognize. (and when the torrents come out, I just get everything that I missed.)

That being said, some of my favorite remixes on this site are from games that I've never played and by artists that I'm not familiar with.

I kinda miss VGDJ and it's weekly clips of the latest remixes. Back when it was active, I was closer to a 'category 1 listener'; I'd listen to the previews and determine whether or not I wanted to download a particular remix.

2, because I'm kind of a nostalgia whore. :\

...Which sucks because I know I'm probably missing out on some stuff that I'd really like. For example, I've never played Life Force, but Tactile Freefall is awesome, and I've never played Crystalis, but I really like House Leaves. Well, actually I played Crystalis, but only after I'd heard House Leaves. Also, I tend not to download ReMixes from games I've played that I didn't like so much...but that doesn't happen very often.

I'm really surprised by the responses I've seen so far. I would have expected more people to listen to each song at least once as they are posted.

I'm definitely a 1, although I don't keep most songs very long. I even went back and listened to all the songs (about 1200) that were posted before I found the site, but that was really time consuming.

When I first found the site, I went and got the torrents that existed at the time (up to 1,000) and kept up with current stuff. When the 1,000-1,500 torrent was released, I got that too. I've heard every song on the site once. If I don't like the production or style, I won't keep it. In general, I know what I like, but I'm open to hearing something new if it's outside the genres I like best.

1. I just finished catching up on all but the latest 3. I have heard, at least once though some more than that, all of the OCRemixes including almost all of OCRemoved. I listened through even when I found some tracks grating or annoying... which was sometimes often.

I still need to hear all of the Radical Dreamers and FF7 Projects but I've heard all of the others.

I tend to be a purist with collections in general.