Professor Layton and the Curious Village

NNY

Professor Layton is a brainteaser game for the DS. Developed by Level 5, it delivers a charming art style, voice acting, and full on cutscenes. Oh, and there are these brainteasers too.

Incredibly charming. The game's real simple in concept. Go to point A, talk to man, do puzzle. But the puzzle's are real difficult. The puzzles were written by famed Professor Akira Tago, who's written a few puzzle books himself. It's the first in a trilogy to come, but if you find yourself finished with the game and itching for the sequel, there will be a new puzzle up for download every week.

If you're on the fence for this title, you can play a demo on the game's site.

http://professorlaytonds.com/

OK. Truth time. When I first saw this name, I thought it would be just another one of those brain training games thats been flooding the market. So I naturally just wasn't going to buy it, yet from what I hear from here and there that it is a fun game. I might just have to go get this game upon further study.

(Right after Apollo Justice =D)

I'm planning to pick this one up... I love the puzzle-type games, but what I love about this one is the artsy style of the characters, the music, the storyline etc. Reminds me of the Triplets of Bellevue!

I'm going to Europe in about 5 weeks and this just seemed like the "perfect" game for traveling around there, both in terms of the play format (short puzzles you can do in between train rides and what not), and the overall atmosphere of the game.

I'm planning on picking this game up soon. There've been a lot of really great puzzle games coming out lately, like this and Zack & Wiki. It makes me so very, very happy.

Only problem is, I doubt I'll be able to finish this game before Apollo Justice comes out, and I know that I'll be spending all of my free time playing that until I finish it. But I get the feeling Layton is the kind of game that you'd have absolutely no problem picking up where you left off months after setting it down.

Yeah. Apollo Justice still will be the top visual novel style game for the DS in the coming weeks. I'm buying both, but overall the impressions aren't as high as it is for Apollo Justice (straight 9's compared to a few 8's for Layton in Famitsu reviews. Mostly the same reception elsewhere).

I don't have a very high opinion of Level 5 since they seem to downplay their games even when they work on high profile stuff like Dragon Quest. I think smaller games suit Level 5 more.

They're curious as to who the hell you are, so they give you a puzzle while holding you at gunpoint.

"Only one of these bullets is a blank. The blank weighs less than the other bullets. You can choose which bullet will be loaded into the gun that shoots you; can you correctly choose the blank if you can only weigh the bullets two times?"

I still say the DS is still 'kiddy-ish' but that doesn't mean it doesn't have a huge library of great games. The 3rd party tends to straddle the line between being kid friendly and just running loose with a few titles with the DS while for the PSP, they tend to jump straight into the mature fare knowing their audience.

A man gets murdered roughly twenty minutes into the game. How is that kiddy?

This whole notion of calling a game "kiddy" is immature in it self.. And I want it out of my thread. This thread is about a wonderful game that kids and adults alike can enjoy called "Professor Layton and the Curious Village" not "I need games to make me feel mature."

The latest Penny-Arcade comic is about Layton. Awesome stuff! Oh, and the game is sweet -- does it eventually pick up the difficulty? I'm on puzzle 20 or so right now...

You know, that was the first PA I read in about two years. It wasn't very funny.

"Fuck you!" as a punchline? Seriously?