Morning Sun (new WIP) Sonic Adventure re-re-remix :D

AkumajoBelmont

vmbi <<<<< WIP 9-ish~!!!

^^ MINI UPDATE ^^ SEE PAGE 3 FOR CHANGES :D

EDIT: I suppose I should mention that this is a remix of Speed Highway - At Dawn from Sonic Adventure.

Okies, so this is a new version of an oldie... well 2 oldies actually. I started this remix years ago and actually wrote lyrics, but never got around to recording them.

Then I started a re-remix, and never got too far into it, but I did record the lyrics and miscellaneous versions of that WIP still exist on the interwebs.

Now I've come back to the track with what really feels like the culmination of all those other versions.

Still a WIP at the mo (duh), but this is the result of a couple of days work, so a finished version of the track could turn up real soon :-P Might re-record the verses during the week, and still many things to add.

Lemme know what you think... cheers :-P

-Robbie.

Here's the second version of the WIP... almost done... just really polishing this thing up is all that's left to do.

wduk

Changes I still wanna make:

*muck around with the lead at 3:24

*Smooth the transitions out a bit

*play withthe ending up a bit

Thanks for the comments peeps... glad to see that it's agreeing with yall :D

Enjoy :-P

I think the ending was a touch abrupt, but that was amazing and I don't typically enjoy techno music. Wow man, kudos to you. Also, loved the vocals, and you've got a great voice for that kind of thing.

Hey thanks man! Yeah, that wasn't the real ending, that was just the end of the first WIP ... it's fixed now :D

It's a bit lacking in the high range, at least in my headphones. It doesn't have the punch it should have. The song in the verses is pretty monotonous. The lead at 3:24 needs more volume and/or should have an overdrive or other intensity-increasing effect on it. You might also want to consider vocoding the first verse as it's too monotonous to really grab the listeners' attention.

That being said, this is a great take on the source. I looked up the source and had no problem spotting the similarities.

There's those pesky production issues that need some work, but this is impressive despite that. This is cool!

vmjq <<< UPDATED VER. 3 !!!

Well here's WIP 3!!!

The focus of this revision to clean it up a bit. You'll now notice the higher registers are there, which were severely lacking in the previous WIP's. FIXED! :-P

Also added a vocoder behind all vocals to emphasise the parts and round it all out, as I don't have the strongest voice in the world.

Still wanna add stuff... anything that sounds empty, I will probably fix in the next couple of days :-P

The hihats feela bit too sharp. Pulling back on the attack or lowering the high EQ on them might work. Seems like there's some headache-inducing noise in this, listen to each track solo so find it. Start with the first verse.

You didn't get what I meant with a vocoder, or then you just didn't care. The first verse doesn't go far in terms of pitch, so vocoding or otherwise "destroying" much of it could make it more interesting, as it's melodically boring.

This does sound better overall. I noticed the delay, and more voices, which sounds great. Dunno if you had it in your last version, but it's great. The bubbly pad that plays in the intro could use some milder cutoff. If it's the same instrument that you're using in the chorus (there without chorus) it might be a good idea to drop the bubbly effect a bit and reduce the strength of the cutoff. If it doesn't sound better, revert to what you've got, as it works as it is.

This is cool man.

At first I couldn't believe someone would even think about adding lyrics to this track. (I like the original version a LOT!!) but this isn't half-bad. I thought the synth arrangment in the 3rd ver. of the WiP at the 3:24 was pretty cool.

The instumentation and production is excellent. If the judges dig the vocals and the lyrics than you definitely have something here. :wink:

• 1 month later...

Well, I actually like this. I'm takin' a stab in the dark, but it sounds like your influence with this came from Eiffel 65. Which is awesome, I always liked their stuff.

Not really sure what to say about how you can fix it up. You seem to be doing a decent job by your self. I will say that you make me jealous. xD

Keep up the good work.

With the exception of the very sharp F's and S's, the new vocals are great. Dunno if I prefer clean vocals, but this is cool. A little more rhythm or sound difference between verse and chorus would be good, tho. The chorus is also a bit quiet compared to the vocoded verse, it gets a little buried in the music when it's not as sharp. Try shifting up the pitch an octave on yet another voice track, let it play kind'a quietly, just to add some higher tones in the background. It's an idea, see if it works.

The music seems a little cutoff, it could use some more high frequencies, or less mids. Try EQing the master track a bit, see if it sounds better. Subtle changes, nothing drastic.

This is great, tho.

I like it pretty well. It almost reminds me of the vocals in Dreams Of An Absolution from Sonic 2006 (go to hell, I liked the music in that game)

People didnt like the music in that game?!

In this world?!?!

THAT WAS AWESOME!!!

Anyway.

Yeah, I really like this...

Thats all I can say lol... not much else to say except well done!

• 2 weeks later...

WIP 7!!!

rddt

Okies, so it's almost a complete overhaul. Structure is identical, but Ive mixed the percussion up a bit... intro is now getting there... stylistically is feeling a bit different from the last WIP!!! Again, it's still missing a few things, but it's mostly all garnish. I wanna elaborate, melodically, on the intro. Also, the bridge is a bit bare at the moment, but it's getting there. Some wooshes and sweeps to add, but again, nothing major. This is very close to final, so hopefully another couple of WIP's, and it'll have gone gold!!!

Awesome, so yeah, lemme know what you think of the changes!

-Robbie.

• 3 weeks later...

HUZZAH~~!!

ngbc <<<<<< WIP 8~!!!

This will probably be the last WIP version of this mix... I feel its almost complete. Like I said before, some MINOR flourishes to add (FX and harmonies in the intro, verses and bridge), but this is about as close to finished as anything I've done recently (i.e. not a lot :).

Things I've changed for WIP 8:

* done another re-master -- lots of levels and EQ's changed.

* filled out the vocals in the chorus ! :D

* added a high string-pad line and other various synths.

ENJOY!!! :D

Oh, and here are the lyrics :D

VERSE 1:

So many nights I sit in silence,

staring into darkness and I'm too afraid to turn away.

But today, I'm seeing in a different light,

And there's a feeling I just cannot fight.

And it's streaming through my window.

Beaming on to my face.

It's in the air that surrounds me.

A familiar place, it keeps me safe,

And nothing can get me down...

CHORUS:

Now I know I'm not the only one.

You don't have to tell me; I won't change.

I've opened my eyes to the morning sun,

And here I'll stay.

Don't you know you're not the only one,

whose ever felt this way.

Just open your eyes to the morning sun.

VERSE 2:

So many times I've tried to tell you,

that there's no use in fighting or denying how we truly feel.

And it's real.

You'll see me in a different light,

And I know nothings ever been this right.

I can feel it passing through me.

Running into my veins.

So I just keep on breathing.

Now the spell is cast, I hope it lasts so

nothing can get me down...

CHORUS:

Now I know I'm not the only one.

You don't have to tell me; I won't change.

I've opened my eyes to the morning sun,

And here I'll stay.

Don't you know you're not the only one,

whose ever felt this way.

Just open your eyes to the morning sun...

Not too fond of the synth used when the track really gets started, nor of the square or whatever it is in the first part of the first (fits better after "cannot fight").

You've got painfully sharp s's in the non-vocoded vocals. The vocoded ones aren't as sharp, though they could use some dampening too.

The five-note little arpeggio-like melody just before the chorus (and half way through it) sounds a little forced and not quite fitting. Might be that it's jsut breaking out of the soundscape, try just dropping its levels a little.

This is great, it just needs to be less painful. :P

Speed Highway is a great melody to work with, and you've done a lot of justice to the original.

Lyrically it's fantastic, I love what you've come up with here. Vocally, again, fantastic. I'm not crazy about the sound of the verses, but the vocals of the chorus really shine through. Once we get past the vocals to we get a little simple, classic SA1 sound before it cuts into something a bit more upbeat. You've paced it really well. A really great job, I'm looking forward to the finished product.

Mini Update GET!

vmbi <<< WIP 9-ish

Fixed the vocals... they aren't as sharp not, and they are at the point where I think they are sounding great, and the way I want them... I don't want to work on them anymore :D

Added pretty whooshes and the like... also a little breakdown in the second verse to change things up a bit.

Not to much changed other wise, but it sounds much more polished than the last WIP version.

Still things to be added... intro still needs work, for example. I'll get there eventually :D

I hope you likies :D