New OST wip (indie RPG)

zircon

Got a commission recently to do a small soundtrack for a tactical RPG styled after classic sprite games in the 16 and 32bit eras. The first track I worked on is the battle theme, which is now done;

http://www.zirconstudios.com/music/wips/wilmeth-battle.mp3

(NOTE: Sounds are all temporary, will be replaced by awesome samples soon, just need approval of the final arrangement)

It's heavily influenced by Kenji Ito (Romancing SaGa III) and Hitoshi Sakimoto (Final Fantasy Tactics, etc.) so hopefully you'll enjoy it.

What's this? A zirconian WIP with only one post? We can't have that.

The beginning just kinda absorbs you in, which is perfect because that's what happens in an RPG battle. Makes me feel like I'm in a field or something. Real FF-Esque, reminds me of FF9 the most. Good brass and string work. It should sound awesome once it has had a quality-boost. Great job.

Hmm really nice track. I love the arrangement youve got here. Definitely a nice battle theme. Personally I think this would work better as a boss theme, because its quite long. I think hearing the small beginning for every little battle wouldnt be epic enough :P. But yea, my oppinion is that this would work better as a boss theme.

VERY NICE (Thumbs Up)

This is some sexy shtuff. It is definitely reminiscent(grrr, sp) of Nobuo Uematsu's kind of battle theme styles and some of his other theme's styles. Very good stuff, and i think the instrumentation is fine for an OST of a sprite-based game; personally, i think it would be weird to hear a very well-done sweeping score alongside crappy sprite characters in sprite forests outside of a sprite town named spritesville. Thats just me though.

This is some sexy shtuff. It is definitely reminiscent(grrr, sp) of Nobuo Uematsu's kind of battle theme styles and some of his other theme's styles. Very good stuff, and i think the instrumentation is fine for an OST of a sprite-based game; personally, i think it would be weird to hear a very well-done sweeping score alongside crappy sprite characters in sprite forests outside of a sprite town named spritesville. Thats just me though.

Hahahahaha.:lol: yeah I hope the game quality matches this great type of rpg track, I can't stand it when theirs cheap sprites, but the music is nice. Bothers me.

Thanks for the comments, guys! I don't think this is quite dramatic enough to be a boss battle, but also keep in mind that this is a tactical RPG, not a traditional turn-based/ATB kind of thing. Battles are usually a bit slower paced, and thus longer.

Yep, you gotta draw it out as long as you can in that case, good call there Mr. Aversa.

YouTube seems to be down, or the route to it from here, or whatever.--I thought I'd try listening to the song while looking at some typical battles in RPG games.

Anyway.. This battle music sounds good to me. It's probably always a good idea to use a less common time signature/structure (FF X - "Decisive Battle") for such songs, to capture the surprise moments/elevate the feeling that this is something special.

There are a couple of notes I thought stuck out too much; specifically at the end of the section starting at 1:17 (1:23/1:24). Yea.

Cool.