ASK A JUDGE: While we're busy NOT voting - your questions, we want 'em

Liontamer

The best way to get an answer about that kind of submission is to just make the piece of music, submit it, and let us look at the mix itself and judge accordingly, rather than grasp at trying to describe a very specific type of conservative mixing.

Or, at least, post a WIP; there are enough people who read the WIP forums who aren't judges but who often would share the judge's opinions on whether a mix is submission-ready. Of course, that draws the risk of having people applaud a non-OCR-worthy mix just because they like it, but it's a shorter process than submitting and waiting for a NO.

• 7 months later...

Heheheh

That would certainly get your workload down. Also it'll make you vote much quicker just to get your share of the submission fee. I wonder if getting your song on the site would get harder or easier though (if you get a dollar for every vote, will you vote more sloppily and just NO everything and be done with it, or YES everything and be done with it?).

I know it has nothing to do with the submission date, so what determines the order in which mixes are posted (or judged for that matter)?

I'm actually kind of wondering the same thing, it seems there's song in the judge thread thing that were submitted last year and yes'd at some point, but haven't been posted...even though songs submitted this year that were also yes'd seem to have been posted.

ok i have a few questions, I often ALWAYS read the judges panel like every chance i get and read on the votes on the artist remixes. Is that s good idea to do? I dunno just that I read to gain knowledge and to see what mistakes I don't make when im starting my next mix even though the info doesnt really apply to me I still read it to take pointers.

Also Larry ive often see the word "synergy" in your post...what the hell does it mean? :razz:

and what do you like more in a mix sound design or standard sounds but used in a effective way? because being that my style is Trance I always find ways to sound fresh and im always looking for new sounds to grab the listeners attention.

"Synergy" means that the whole is greater than the sum of its parts. In other words, it's different elements (or all of the elements) in a song sounding very good together, where if any one of those elements were changed, the loss would be greater than the loss of that one element itself.

Simply put, it's two or more parts working really well together.

ok i have a few questions, I often ALWAYS read the judges panel like every chance i get and read on the votes on the artist remixes. Is that s good idea to do? I dunno just that I read to gain knowledge and to see what mistakes I don't make when im starting my next mix even though the info doesnt really apply to me I still read it to take pointers.

Also Larry ive often see the word "synergy" in your post...what the hell does it mean? :razz:

and what do you like more in a mix sound design or standard sounds but used in a effective way? because being that my style is Trance I always find ways to sound fresh and im always looking for new sounds to grab the listeners attention.

Keep readin', I often make killer jokes!

Also, I like both sound design and standard sounds used in an effective way. That's pretty much what makes a good song :3 When we're talking trance, if the sounds are standard but the arrangement is killer, now worries. Although the other way around is less common (and often kicked in the ass since this is about the arrangement) getting some serious sound-sweetening skills WILL often help you as long as it's not tasteless.

..kinda

Also yeah, Larry should tattoo: EGO SUM TEH PANEL! on his back.