ASK A JUDGE: While we're busy NOT voting - your questions, we want 'em

Liontamer

Hmm, cool thread. Been a while since I been on the boards (have more free time lately), so I'm sorry if I ask any question already asked.

1. Seems like you guys know each other irl, at least some of you. Which judges know each other irl, and is knowing each other ever a factor in becoming a judge?

2. Do you guys get paid? or just paid in love? conjugal love?

Hmm, cool thread. Been a while since I been on the boards (have more free time lately), so I'm sorry if I ask any question already asked.

1. Seems like you guys know each other irl, at least some of you. Which judges know each other irl, and is knowing each other ever a factor in becoming a judge?

1. I know no one from OCR irl and the only person I've spoken to on skype or anything is AnSo which also means it isn't a factor in becoming a judge.

2. I get no moneys but larry does love us regularly.

1. Nah I don't know any judges in real life. And I get left out sometimes due to the fact that I'm the only UK judge and so in a different time zone :cry:

2. Paid? PAID? Haw Haw HAW! I don't do this for money, this is my way way of giving back to OCR for helping to make me a better musician.

EDIT: I get love from all of my fellow OCR members (sometimes....)

1. If you're on the East Coast and you go to the meetups, especially Magfest, you get to meet judges. I ended up meeting djp, Liontamer, Darkesword, and BGC last year at Video Games Live, and zircon and pixietricks at the next meetup. So I think most of the East Coast judges have met each other.

It's only a factor in that it helps give a better sense of a person's personality. Participation on the forums, your remixing history, and of course the arrangement criticism you can give counts for far far more.

2. Every so often, Larry gives us kisses for judging. Yeah, it's pretty weird. :?

1. I've met djpretzel, zircon, Liontamer, palpable, pixietricks, harmony, and uhh...I think that's it. The thing is, I met them all IRL after I became a judge. Knowing someone IRL doesn't really factor into becoming a judge these days.

2. Love? Ha. Try lots and lots of judgehate.

1. I know no one. I live in Sweden! :D

2. I get the occassional quicky with Larry but that's it.

This is more than five months ago. ;__;

To be fair, we've only got one May and one June on the panel right now, and both of them are split decisions waiting on a couple stragglers. Around late July/early August is when you start to see a lot of subs on the panel. That's still about three months, not really an excuse for us.

1. I've met djpretzel, zircon, Liontamer, palpable, pixietricks, harmony, and uhh...I think that's it. The thing is, I met them all IRL after I became a judge. Knowing someone IRL doesn't really factor into becoming a judge these days.

2. Love? Ha. Try lots and lots of judgehate.

Screw you. I totally didn't wait outside that Italian place in DC and flag you down for a parking spot. *angry face*

Anyway, let's see, in order of actual chronological meeting, I've met (past and present judges) Pixietricks, Zircon, Liontamer, DJ Pretzel, Harmony, Palpable, Crapesword, CHz, DarkCecil13, Shnababula, & JJT.

Some remixes are labeled right away, but it's not common. I think it has something to do with the fact that the source material isn't labeled very well in the first place, especially if it's an NSF or other chiptune. Most SPCs have names but they're often given by the ripper, and so the song names are not official, and even though they often fit or give a good description of where in the song they play, it's not good enough for OCR.

I don't know what the current policy is, if sound test names are good enough or not. I tried to help labeling the Top Gear remixes, and I actually contacted the original composer and asked him for song names, but all he could tell me was that he never named them, so he had no answer to give me. I think LT&Co is working on an official policy for labeling source tunes that have no name, but until they're finished...

We're still voting on your stuff, don't worry :3
That's "we" as in you, me and Palp, but that's it. The rest have obviously quit.

The following observation seems to confirm that. :D These are the voters from the Ds on the first page of Js Ds:

no - larry, palpable, anso

no - larry palpable, anso

no - palpable, malcos, larry

no - larry, palpable, darke

no - larry, anso, palpable

no - larry anso, palpable

no - larry, malcos, anso

no - larry, fishy, anso

no - larry, anso, bgc

no - larry, anso palpable

no - larry, fishy, anso

no - larry, palpable, fishy

no - larry, palpable, vig

no - larry, palpable anso

yes - larry, palpable, zircon, darke, zyko, bgc, malcos, anso, vig, fishy, chz,

yes - palpable, vig, larry, zircon, bgc, chz, malcos, anso, darke

no - larry, palpable, zyko

yes - larry, anso, palpable, fishy, zyko

no - larry, malcos, palpable, zyko, chz, anso, bgc

no - larry, zyko, palpable

no - larry, zyko, palpable

yes - larry, palpable, vig, zircon, malcos, bgc, darke, fishy, anso, zyko

no - larry, malcos, palpable

no - larry, anso, palpable, fishy

no - larry, darke, palpable, anso, malcos

And yes, I was bored.

And the most recent "yes" got its last vote in July. Some judges haven't voted since, some only once or twice (except for in submissions still on the panel, which I know nothing about). Well, 3 judges is all you need to make a "no", so I guess the fact that most of you are taking a break doesn't really matter much.

You missed the comma between larry and palpable a few times. It actually looks pretty funny. Like a name. "Here he is, the amazing Larry Palpable!" It actually gets even funnier in reverse order.

Also funny is the fact that all of the yes'ed mixes needed so many votes. None of these apparently good enough to be liked by everyone.

Screw you. I totally didn't wait outside that Italian place in DC and flag you down for a parking spot. *angry face*

Anyway, let's see, in order of actual chronological meeting, I've met (past and present judges) Pixietricks, Zircon, Liontamer, DJ Pretzel, Harmony, Palpable, Crapesword, CHz, DarkCecil13, Shnababula, & JJT.

Sorry. :(

The circles were just too big and giant. I blocked them out.