ASK A JUDGE: While we're busy NOT voting - your questions, we want 'em

Liontamer

My only question(for now at least lol) is how do I look at a specific song that you guys have judged in the past? I've used the search function to find a few songs but others I have no luck finding mainly with the more recent ones. I would like to have a better understanding of your criteria when judging more recent songs just to see what to look for in my remixes and this current one that I'm waiting to see up on the boards xD.

My only question(for now at least lol) is how do I look at a specific song that you guys have judged in the past? I've used the search function to find a few songs but others I have no luck finding mainly with the more recent ones. I would like to have a better understanding of your criteria when judging more recent songs just to see what to look for in my remixes and this current one that I'm waiting to see up on the boards xD.

This should find you some of them: http://www.ocremix.org/forums/search.php?searchid=1366289

• 2 weeks later...

I have another question: Are the songs, that are posted in the "To be Judged" section judged in any particular order or do you just pick one randomly? Just wonderin because I have a song up there now that I'm waiting to be judged and I was wonderin if I know when it'll be judged or just wait till I see it up there...

I have another question: Are the songs, that are posted in the "To be Judged" section judged in any particular order or do you just pick one randomly? Just wonderin because I have a song up there now that I'm waiting to be judged and I was wonderin if I know when it'll be judged or just wait till I see it up there...

I try to judge in order, but we don't have a set order for judging. There's a handful of reasons why we don't strictly judge in order. Sometimes we give priority to resubmits, mixes we may want to tie into a site feature, and closing out decisions. If a decision is difficult, sometimes I have to let it weigh on my mind and in the meantime I'll judge something else. Also, often, if I don't have a lot of time, I'll pick the first submission I see from a game I know. (If I don't know the source, it takes much more time to judge.)

Does your knowledge of the source affect your judging decisions? also, have you ever had to NO a renown name of OCR like zircon of JJT, if so, was it awkward?

Well, we check the submission against the source in every case. If it's from a game and we're already intimately familiar with the sourcetune (SMB overworld, Ice Cap theme, Brinstar Red, Zelda WIndmill Hut, etc), then there's obviously not much need to "go back and compare it".

Yes, "renowned" remixers get rejected form time to time. It's not really awkward, and it all depends on the remixer's maturity and understanding of our objective. There are some really awesome tracks that do not meet the site's remix criteria, and there are sometimes some really great mixers who put out lazy crap from time to time :)

• 1 month later...
The Currently In the Judging Process is hardly current anymore. It's days away from being a month old.

This is actually something i TRIED to resolve by assigning particular weeks to certain judges so we could all share the load equally. The only judges who ended up giving half a crap about that idea were the new ones (Anso, Palp, Fishy) and they don't yet have MOD access to that forum yet. I took care of it for a little over a week, but seeing as no one else would share the load, I basically said eff it.

This is actually something i TRIED to resolve by assigning particular weeks to certain judges so we could all share the load equally. The only judges who ended up giving half a crap about that idea were the new ones (Anso, Palp, Fishy) and they don't yet have MOD access to that forum yet. I took care of it for a little over a week, but seeing as no one else would share the load, I basically said eff it.

Life is hard for us judges :tomatoface: