ASK A JUDGE: While we're busy NOT voting - your questions, we want 'em

Liontamer

Up to date now.

I submitted a song a week (on the 7th) before the newest edit (the 14th, today), and it doesn't appear in the "To Be Judged" and I haven't been sent a rejection letter. Is there a cutoff date for the submission email to be added to the "To Be Jedged" section?

To the judges: on average, how long does it take for a mix to be accepted, but not posted to the site, before you realize "Oh dang, we should really post that..." I ask, because there's a mix (Vision of Celes) that was accepted on September 8th, 2007, which was well over a year ago. Do you usually try to space out games/genres and the like? Or in this case are you just waiting for an update from the ReMixer? It just seems to me that a year and 3.5 months is a long time to wait for a mix to be posted to the site (if nothing is outstanding, as in waiting for something from the ReMixer/etc..).

I submitted a song a week (on the 7th) before the newest edit (the 14th, today), and it doesn't appear in the "To Be Judged" and I haven't been sent a rejection letter. Is there a cutoff date for the submission email to be added to the "To Be Jedged" section?

Yeah, the stuff listed in that thread is only the stuff on our panel. Submissions as old as October '08 may still be sitting in the inbox waiting to be evaluated by Liontamer. It may be a while before you see your song in the thread if you just submitted it.

To the judges: on average, how long does it take for a mix to be accepted, but not posted to the site, before you realize "Oh dang, we should really post that..." I ask, because there's a mix (Vision of Celes) that was accepted on September 8th, 2007, which was well over a year ago. Do you usually try to space out games/genres and the like? Or in this case are you just waiting for an update from the ReMixer? It just seems to me that a year and 3.5 months is a long time to wait for a mix to be posted to the site (if nothing is outstanding, as in waiting for something from the ReMixer/etc..).

Haha, just noticed that one myself earlier today. Pretty old, huh? Pretty sure in that case we're waiting for an update from the remixer. DJP tries to give the oldest stuff priority, but other factors play into when something gets posted.

If I remember correctly, one of the latest Dragon Quest (Warrior) mixes wasn't posted for over a year because the mixer was going to update something. I think he never got around to it, and told the panel to just post as is.

Personally, all of my mixes were posted in a relatively timely manner after their acceptance. The longest part is the actual judging process, it seems. (no offense intended)

If I remember correctly, one of the latest Dragon Quest (Warrior) mixes wasn't posted for over a year because the mixer was going to update something. I think he never got around to it, and told the panel to just post as is.

Personally, all of my mixes were posted in a relatively timely manner after their acceptance. The longest part is the actual judging process, it seems. (no offense intended)

Approaching the 9 month mark on two of mine, eh.

• 2 weeks later...

NO, RESUBMIT means that we feel the mix is below our bar, but that with a reasonable amount of effort, the ReMixer is capable of putting it above the bar.

NO also means that we feel the mix is below our bar, but that in order to pass, the mix would need major, time-consuming changes. In other words, it's pretty far off - you might be better off doing a new mix than trying to rework a NOed mix.

So about how long, on average, will it take from the moment of submission until it's past the panel (if accepted), and until it's posted, nowadays? 3 and 6 months? More? Just curious.

A while. Working on HD Remix, the bread and butter's definitely taken a back seat. '09, djp'll be trying to post more. Right now, I'd say anywhere from 3-9 months, with some outliers in both directions.

• 3 weeks later...
If you're already posted, it's hard to change names and we REALLY don't encourage it. I think it has hardly ever been done.

Blizihizake changed his name to Blake Perdue;

DJ StarBLaSt changed his name to Star Salzman;

SysteManiac changed his name to Daniel Baranowsky;

etc.

So yeah. As you can see in the write-ups, their names were different. Yes, it has been done before.

• 2 weeks later...

Between updating the "Currently in the Judging Process" thread, how many days of submission are judged usually? I ask because on January 2nd, it was for mixes subbed prior to October 29th (I believe). And now, 3 weeks later, it's mixes subbed prior to November 2nd. Was there just an absolute massive amount of mixes subbed between those two days or was there not a lot of time to review mixes and you just wanted to keep the thread somewhat new (as in, it doesn't take over a month to see any update in the "CitJP" thread)? Or is that the standard, ~5 days of mixes for every 2-3 weeks of judging?

Between updating the "Currently in the Judging Process" thread, how many days of submission are judged usually? I ask because on January 2nd, it was for mixes subbed prior to October 29th (I believe). And now, 3 weeks later, it's mixes subbed prior to November 2nd. Was there just an absolute massive amount of mixes subbed between those two days or was there not a lot of time to review mixes and you just wanted to keep the thread somewhat new (as in, it doesn't take over a month to see any update in the "CitJP" thread)? Or is that the standard, ~5 days of mixes for every 2-3 weeks of judging?

Currently no days, that's all there is to it. We need to get back in gear.

Blizihizake changed his name to Blake Perdue;

DJ StarBLaSt changed his name to Star Salzman;

SysteManiac changed his name to Daniel Baranowsky;

etc.

So yeah. As you can see in the write-ups, their names were different. Yes, it has been done before.

That's still only a handful of ReMixers out of hundreds, and again, we don't encourage it.

That's still only a handful of ReMixers out of hundreds, and again, we don't encourage it.

To clarify, we don't encourage name changes, but as long as I'm here, I'll generally push for what the artist wants as long as they're absolutely sure. Then it's a matter to nagging djp to move forward with the change, but I'm here to help. :-)

• 1 month later...

Hello! Just curious: I see new mixes posted but there is no *YES* thread in the judges panel since a couple of months, more or less.

Have all mixes been direct posts since then?

I'm asking because I really enjoy reading the *YES* ones and I thought they were available as soon the mix in question gets posted.

Am I wrong?

Best regards,

Jorge