ASK A JUDGE: While we're busy NOT voting - your questions, we want 'em

Liontamer

Are you kidding? The production is a little rough on it, but Ninjascape is not a good example of what JasonP27 is asking about. These are, though: http://www.ocremix.org/remix/OCR01032/ and http://www.ocremix.org/remix/OCR01482/

...I honestly thought those had equal or better production than Ninjascape! :P

EDIT: How about http://www.ocremix.org/remix/OCR01211/ then?

Edited by LuketheXjesse

The reason Yannibubula got judged so quickly was because BGC could post the track directly into the panel, without having to go through the inbox, right? Just curious about the process. :)

But really I just wanted to give you guys props for picking up the judging pace, and the front-page posting.. there's now, often one or even two new tracks for me when I check the front page. Very nice.

--Eino

The reason Yannibubula got judged so quickly was because BGC could post the track directly into the panel, without having to go through the inbox, right? Just curious about the process. :)

But really I just wanted to give you guys props for picking up the judging pace, and the front-page posting.. there's now, often one or even two new tracks for me when I check the front page. Very nice.

--Eino

Mainly, yes--just one of the perks that Judges get. However, it also helps that I'd had several of them check it out in IRC beforehand, and also that it was a remix of a well known source, so it's not like there needed to be any extensive research on the source material, and usage, and all that jazz. However, you'll notice that it still took ~3 months once I posted it, which isn't that far off of the average once a song reaches the panel from the inbox.

Edited by big giant circles
I am full of typos today.

ohooo one I can answer!!! ^_______^

even when songs are voted as *YES* they still aren't guaranteed to be posted until they actually are on the front page. Not posting the *YES* threads just makes it so mixers don't get all excited, only to have their hopes dashed if something comes up. TO my knowledge, it's never happened (at least not as long as i've been visiting the site), but it's still a good policy.

even when songs are voted as *YES* they still aren't guaranteed to be posted until they actually are on the front page. Not posting the *YES* threads just makes it so mixers don't get all excited, only to have their hopes dashed if something comes up. TO my knowledge, it's never happened (at least not as long as i've been visiting the site), but it's still a good policy.

I think this has happened once, and it had to do with sixto's first remix; the castlevania one.

It happened to Darangen's votl track akshully. He forgot to mention its like, a cover of something else :P. Went from YES to NO on revote.

It happened to Darangen's votl track akshully. He forgot to mention its like, a cover of something else :P. Went from YES to NO on revote.

His "North Cave" remix right? What was it a cover of, does anyone know? (I would like to do my own compairisons)

Whoa, so 'YES' songs still aren't guaranteed posted? What the hell do yall do to it afterwards? I thought you guys didn't even mess with the song after it's been 'YES'd. Does djp review it again once all the votes have been casted? O_o

No, it just happens before it was posted someone pointed out (cause it was already out on votl) that it was actually a different song mixed with the ff7 one.

Sorry I can't remember the track, but it was just blatant, no comparison needed.

I don't think this has been asked. Feel free to flail me if it has. I just thought it'd be interesting. It's for any and all judges, really. ^_^

How often do you vote yes or no on something, then read another judge's vote and commentary, take that commentary into serious consideration, and then change your vote based on what the other judge said?

I don't think this has been asked. Feel free to flail me if it has. I just thought it'd be interesting. It's for any and all judges, really. ^_^

How often do you vote yes or no on something, then read another judge's vote and commentary, take that commentary into serious consideration, and then change your vote based on what the other judge said?

It happens. We've had some recent cases when Vig swooped down and changed the heart of like three people. I'm pretty sure both me and Vinnie has changed Larry's vote too by perhaps pointing out some source usage he missed or similar.

It happens, but not very often.

I had a question about DJ Friendly Remixes.

I'm an old school electronic composer in a sense that I gear my mix towards the DJ / Live performance of it all and I know (have read) how stern the judging can be on a pieces source material; my question-

Lets say a remix is about 6:30 long, and approx 1:45 of that is "DJ friendly" time, is there any leniency on the track for arrangement like this? I ask because I'm on the fence for a submission due to this fact and would love to get a judges opinion. Most forum members who listened said source wasn't enough, which started the argument of "DJ Friendly" mixes. If the judges get an off the chain trance / house / electronica remix with DJ friendly time but breaks a huge source standard what is the word? ... Make a Radio Edit?

Thanks.

I'm an old school electronic composer in a sense that I gear my mix towards the DJ / Live performance of it all and I know (have read) how stern the judging can be on a pieces source material; my question-

Lets say a remix is about 6:30 long, and approx 1:45 of that is "DJ friendly" time, is there any leniency on the track for arrangement like this? I ask because I'm on the fence for a submission due to this fact and would love to get a judges opinion. Most forum members who listened said source wasn't enough, which started the argument of "DJ Friendly" mixes. If the judges get an off the chain trance / house / electronica remix with DJ friendly time but breaks a huge source standard what is the word? ... Make a Radio Edit?

Thanks.

Radio Edit would be preferable. The whole point is that the source tune (or clear arrangement of said source) should be identifiable and dominant during the track. "DJ Friendly" mixes, sadly, often doesn't meet this criteria. It's case by case really but the guidelines state you need a source that is identifiable and dominant in the track.

Hope that helped.

Thanks.

Case-by-case. Trying to generally answer your question though, I don't care if the structure is "DJ friendly". As long as the arrangement is sufficiently creative, interpretive and developed, you're free to do whatever you want with the structure. AnSo's right in that most tracks like your implied example probably wouldn't make it, potentially for lack of development, or potentially for lack of source usage. But like I said, it's case-by-case.