ASK A JUDGE: While we're busy NOT voting - your questions, we want 'em

Liontamer

Thanks you for bringing this to our attention. Clearly we were not aware of this until you told us, again and again and again. :lol:

We're already getting to 'em. They're being got.

I'm just concerned that people aren't getting judged when they should be. I was just wondering if you do something other than a first come first serve basis, and why.

I'm just concerned that people aren't getting judged when they should be. I was just wondering if you do something other than a first come first serve basis, and why.

As our queue empties out, more mixes get put in from the inbox. Sometimes mixes submitted in later months get judged first because they're easier decisions to make.

It's never going to necessarily be first come first serve.

• 4 months later...

I have a question about an issue that's been brought to my attention, why are some remixes still gettin special treatment? I asked a question about songs being posted in order according to dates and from what I'm still noticing, the songs are still being posted in an erratic manner. There were songs in the same timeframe as mine that have been posted, then there have been some that were judged and passed long after mine and still got up =/. I tryin not to complain but it's been almost a whole year since I even sent it in my one remix and it still hasn't been posted yet, kinda ridonkulous if you ask me =/.

I have a question about an issue that's been brought to my attention, why are some remixes still gettin special treatment? I asked a question about songs being posted in order according to dates and from what I'm still noticing, the songs are still being posted in an erratic manner. There were songs in the same timeframe as mine that have been posted, then there have been some that were judged and passed long after mine and still got up =/. I tryin not to complain but it's been almost a whole year since I even sent it in my one remix and it still hasn't been posted yet, kinda ridonkulous if you ask me =/.

I'll take full responsibility for that. When people send stuff that's not encoded the right way (bitrate too high, size too large, etc.), I'm already too busy to juggle contacting everyone about fixes along with everything else on the table. So you, frankly, get lost in shuffle, and that definitely holds it up. But the squeaky wheel gets the grease, so I'm glad you posted.

Your mix wasn't encoded with the right settings. Email me (larryoji@ocremix.org) with a copy that's at 44kHz stereo, not 48. Also, feel free to bump up the bitrate if you want, now that the size limit is 8.00MB instead of 6. Once you can send that, we'll get the mix up soon. I think Pot Hocket had this stereo issue too, so I definitely appreciate the overall reminder.

I'm going to have to do a fundraising drive to pay me $400,000 a year to quit my job and do OCR full-time. Then I'd do everything super duper hooper looper fast. :lol:

Edited by Liontamer

QUICK!

Get the Star Wars Trilogy on Blu Ray a lifetime supply of McDonald's Baked Apple Pies!

Your new life will be great, Larry. :D

(bitrate too high, size too large, etc.),

Aren't these things addressed in the submission guidelines? I don't even think the mixes should be judged if they don't follow the submission guidelines.

I understand the clogging of remixes for the judges panel, but that's just ridiculous how the "TO BE POSTED" is even MORE clogged simply because the mixer didn't follow regulation. :P

Edited by Neblix

I don't even think the mixes should be judged if they don't follow the submission guidelines

That seems a bit harsh (in relation to the bitrate guideline).

Everyone makes mistakes, i've done that very same thing before.

Personally, I think they should put it conditional on bitrate change if that occurs, it would mean it would be put in the conditional queue and the remixer would then have to contact a judge to see what the problem is.

Also, while i'm posting, could you guys update the judging queue? hasn't been updated in a month ;)

Edited by WillRock

Dunno if it's been answered already, but I'll ask it anyway:

I've noticed there's mixes from quite a time ago that're still in the "To Be Posted" list, including a YES'd from 2008. I understand they're never 'closed' decisions until they appear on the frontpage, but why is it that some rearrangements seem to wait more than the others to make it?

Edited by Guifrog

Dunno if it's been answered already, but I'll ask it anyway:

I've noticed there's mixes from quite a time ago that're still in the "To Be Posted" list, including a YES'd from 2008. I understand they're never 'closed' decisions until they appear on the frontpage, but why is it that some rearrangements seem to wait more than the others to make it?

See above. Either issues like that or it's from an unreleased project.

• 2 months later...

I have a question regarding the proper procedure to submit an arrangement of an "unknown" or "less popular" source.

If someone were to remix a source tune from an extremely ancient or obscure videogame, with no original soundtrack or MIDI files available on Youtube or any other site, what would be the advisable course of action?

I suppose the remixer would be obligated to provide the source tune together with the arrangement. Would it be OK if they recorded the source tune directly from the game (in mp3 format), hosted a ZIP file with both the arrangement and the source mp3, and provided the link in the submission e-mail?

The submission instructions don't address this issue, and I think you should add a paragraph explaining the proper way to do it. I realize that most arrangements have their original counterparts available on the internet, but this problem is bound to arise sometime (hint hint).

I have a question regarding the proper procedure to submit an arrangement of an "unknown" or "less popular" source.

If someone were to remix a source tune from an extremely ancient or obscure videogame, with no original soundtrack or MIDI files available on Youtube or any other site, what would be the advisable course of action?

I suppose the remixer would be obligated to provide the source tune together with the arrangement. Would it be OK if they recorded the source tune directly from the game (in mp3 format), hosted a ZIP file with both the arrangement and the source mp3, and provided the link in the submission e-mail?

The submission instructions don't address this issue, and I think you should add a paragraph explaining the proper way to do it. I realize that most arrangements have their original counterparts available on the internet, but this problem is bound to arise sometime (hint hint).

That'd be one way to handle it, but with all the chiptunes available, it's not too common. :-)

Do you have an example? I personally know plenty but I'm quite the obscure gamer! ;) To verify it's actually from the game I would suggest a video first a foremost, seeing that the audio is indeed from the game, and maybe audio to accompany that just for clarity. I know this is much to ask but it'd at least make me more comfortable. :)

Good point you brought up, we will no doubt discuss this further!

Yeah, it's happened before, a game rip not existing. The few cases of it that have happened, the submitter ripped the track themselves and just hosted or attached it without having to be prompted. If they didn't already do that, we just email them as ask.

As zircon just mentioned to me in #judges, "If we don't have access to the source, we can't judge it, so, it then becomes remixer's responsibility to provide the source". djp also added, "The policy is also case-by-case for rejecting games due to extreme obscurity/"indie"-ness." So if the game is just someone's Newgrounds game with original music, but the game isn't mega-popular, then we'd pass on it.

I supposed we can add a sentence to the guidelines on that, but I honestly can't say I've seen the need in 6 years of being a panel member. The worst case scenario is just that the submitter can't find the original audio and we have to do the legwork. We've yet to have something submitted from something that absolutely can't be tracked down.

Say LT, I know you're extremely busy and whatnot. Have you ever considered picking an assistant to help keep the Judges Decisions forum updated? It might make things easier.

We all have access to do it, and we try to keep it updated weekly. It only takes 5-10 minutes so usually it's a case of forgetting or assuming that someone else will do it, rather than busyness. :wink: We tried to work out a system of who updates it when, but inevitably somebody will miss a week and then we're back to the same system.

We all have access to do it, and we try to keep it updated weekly. It only takes 5-10 minutes so usually it's a case of forgetting or assuming that someone else will do it, rather than busyness. :wink: We tried to work out a system of who updates it when, but inevitably somebody will miss a week and then we're back to the same system.

For the most part, minus these past few weeks because of Otakon and other things, I or OA try to update every Wednesday. Now that Otakon is (sadly) over, it should get more consistent again.

• 2 weeks later...

Hello there, I was wondering what OCR's stance is on accepting remixes of "cracktros", that is, the hacker intros you used to get on old floppy disk based games (usually with cheat options and a shoutout to all the BBS crews). I know they're not strictly game music, but the only place you hear them is if you load the game up, so I was just wondering if I were to sub a remix of a cracktro tune, would it have any chance of passing?

Hello there, I was wondering what OCR's stance is on accepting remixes of "cracktros", that is, the hacker intros you used to get on old floppy disk based games (usually with cheat options and a shoutout to all the BBS crews). I know they're not strictly game music, but the only place you hear them is if you load the game up, so I was just wondering if I were to sub a remix of a cracktro tune, would it have any chance of passing?

Sorry, wouldn't be accepted. It needs to be music in the game.