ASK A JUDGE: While we're busy NOT voting - your questions, we want 'em

Liontamer

Alright, I get you there. Stinks cause I really like that song, for some reason I had that game on NES as a kid so I heard that song a LOT.

One more question since I've got you fellas here.. haha. What's up with projects? I remember djp saying some would come out after Otacon. I'm kinda excited for when Teen Agent can be released. :-o Also I have this new idea to make EPs instead of albums, like a collection of 5 or 6 songs to release as an EP. Would that have the possibility of coming out faster than a regular album due to its smaller size?

• 2 weeks later...

I want to make something and I have a big question about it so I guess I can't keep it secret.

I want to make a Demon's Crest EP, or series of EPs depending on how it goes with the first one. I want to do this EP in the style of Dimmu Borgir, black metal but with strong orchestral elements. I know the panel doesn't have a bias against certain genres and they usually don't have too much trouble critiquing live stuff. Sometimes they seem a little too soft on live stuff, and at other times unreasonably harsh. But the point is I don't think they really have all that much experience judging orchestral black metal, it has a distinct kind of production, performance, including vocals...

I guess my question is, preferably if someone like Larry or DJP or someone who can DJP could come in and opine on this because I think it's a pretty big question about less common genres. I think the music in Demon's Crest is pretty great and would lend itself to black metal in a creative and enjoyable way, but I don't want to invest all that time and emotion into the project if it wouldn't fly at OCR.

As for the argument "do it because you want to", well I have original stuff I could do and release separately. I don't want to do that just yet. I want to work on some more remixes. :3

I don't mean any offense with statements made above, the panel does a good job yet they don't get the opportunity on a regular basis to hear many diverse sub-genres and more underground genres.

Here's my Demon's Crest youtube playlist: http://www.youtube.com/view_play_list?p=C9A7FFC5A6B949AE

Some black metal for example: this and

, the latter being a lot less approachable but more traditional Edited by Brandon Strader

We don't discriminate based on genres at all, and you're underestimating the vast range of styles we hear. We've received subs in an enormous range of genres - think about the amazing range that is posted on OCR, and now imagine that you're only hearing about 10% of what we actually receive. I think every judge as well as djp himself would freely admit they've evaluated things in styles that they had never heard before. It's unavoidable because there are practically limitless genres out there, but thankfully the concepts of production and arrangement are pretty genre-neutral with a few rare exceptions (like chiptunes, which are intentionally very lo-fi.)

There's certainly nothing inherent in black metal with orchestral elements that would be a cause for concern or merit any special attention at all. In the entire history of OCR that I'm aware of, chiptunes are the only genre (if that's the right word for them) where we had to spend a lot of time discussing how to judge them. Dave's judgment was that they don't get special exceptions, and that production and arrangement is just as important with them as with any other style. This does mean that chiptunes are effectively judged "more harshly" because stylistically, they're lo-fi, but we don't really cut them any slack for that.

Listening to your YT links, a remix in the style of the first one would be fine. We had a Castlevania II death metal remix like that. The second one is (IMO) not well-produced at all. Too muddy with poor frequency balance. I could imagine a remix in this style being well-produced, eg. through proper mixing/mastering and balance, but retaining the vocal style, heavy guitars and fast drums. But if this is the exact sound you're going for in terms of mixing and production, I think you'd have a hard time passing.

Keep in mind an album project does not need to be primarily comprised of mixes that would pass on OCR. About 1/3 is what we look for at a bare minimum (preferably more.) So if you wanted to do a few tracks in the exact style of your second YT link, that would be fine, provided a good chunk of the album is passable on OCR.

but thankfully the concepts of production and arrangement are pretty genre-neutral with a few rare exceptions (like chiptunes, which are intentionally very lo-fi.) [...] In the entire history of OCR that I'm aware of, chiptunes are the only genre (if that's the right word for them) where we had to spend a lot of time discussing how to judge them. Dave's judgment was that they don't get special exceptions, and that production and arrangement is just as important with them as with any other style. This does mean that chiptunes are effectively judged "more harshly" because stylistically, they're lo-fi, but we don't really cut them any slack for that.

[rant]

It is very interesting to see people think of chiptunes as a genre. It's more of an instrument choice, or subset of instruments. It's like "strings" or "percussion" as a term, not a genre, as you can have chiptunes that are metal, classical, VGM, funk, prog, whatever.

The whole discussion of "limiting yourself" with chiptunes can be as easily applied to any other genre, if it's gonna be lumped in with them. With metal, you're adhering to a specific sound and won't really stray from it, unless you are willing to be accused of not making a song that's 100% metal, and this could be true of other genres. As for the instrument part and it being "lo-fi," I'd say you have to judge it within its own standards. For example, if you have a song that's entirely a piano piece, the author is probably limiting themselves to something that can be played with two hands by a single person, and no other instruments cuts down on what they can do as well. If a piano song sounds just like a piano in real life, it's "quality," but if a chiptune sounds like something an actual 8-bit machine could spit out, it's "total lack of production," "terrible sound quality," and "limiting creativity."

Yeah I know this isn't gonna change anything, and I've probably wasted my time, but I'm sick of the close-mindedness here that's just the de facto standard.

[/rant]

tl;dr: meh

[rant]

It is very interesting to see people think of chiptunes as a genre. It's more of an instrument choice, or subset of instruments. It's like "strings" or "percussion" as a term, not a genre, as you can have chiptunes that are metal, classical, VGM, funk, prog, whatever.

Not quoting the whole thing, but replying to the post generally... If i'm allowed to step in here, chiptune music is a style of music which is made using a computer or video game sound chip. The artists at ocr are emulating the sound quality of the samples used in video game music, so I'd call that chiptune music.

There are popular artists that are known as chiptune artists as well, such as she.

I do sort of see what you are saying, but they also have a very distinctive sound and its associated with the chiptune label for the music now.