ASK A JUDGE: While we're busy NOT voting - your questions, we want 'em

Liontamer

the TBJ queue.

Holy Crap.

That is all.

I've seen worse.

Also, I have very fond memories of seeing 2-year-old submissions in the queue without realizing they were resubs of mixes submitted 2 years ago and not actually submissions that had been waiting for 2 years for the judges to bother. Made me really pissed off, too. :pretzel:

(That's right, Will, I got stuck for another few minutes.)

DrumUltima wants to know...

<DrumUltimA> is a remix acceptable if it's an arrangement of a theme backwards?

And I think he means if you like...take a theme and reverse the melody.

Interesting. For me, it would have to sound recognizable in some way, it's not enough that I can compare it note-to-note and see that it lines up backwards. But I don't think we've ever had a sub that did that, so I can't tell you how others would approach it.

Interesting. For me, it would have to sound recognizable in some way, it's not enough that I can compare it note-to-note and see that it lines up backwards. But I don't think we've ever had a sub that did that, so I can't tell you how others would approach it.

Even if it doesn't sound recognizable one way?

Braid needs a backwards remix.

but it's SO GOOD!

actually i was toying with the idea of arranging the lavender town melody forwards, but in a manner where I could write out the whole arrangement in retrograde after, so halfway through you'd be going backwards

but I don't think I'm smart enough to do that ._.

I got away with doing something similar on My Child, where I did a retrograde of the theme in order to create a whole phrase to base the song off of. Considering it was posted, I don't see any reason why using a retrograde source would be a problem, in of itself. Obviously, all the other standards and guidelines would apply. Judges?

I got away with doing something similar on My Child, where I did a retrograde of the theme in order to create a whole phrase to base the song off of. Considering it was posted, I don't see any reason why using a retrograde source would be a problem, in of itself. Obviously, all the other standards and guidelines would apply. Judges?

"My Child" satisfied the arrangement criteria since the source tune was overly used at least 50% of the time. Whatever else is there isn't particularly important.

That said, using a theme backwards, and needing to reverse a song just to hear the connection isn't overt usage of a source tune.

Would a remix based solely on this source work out? http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kwVRgDvjvPg

Been thinking of doing this lately, inspired by our own Doug Perry. His All-percussion remix was deemed to be not-remixable at first either...but what do y'all think?

"popular music" is usually built off of a structure of 3 or 4 chords that repeat throughout an entire 3 minute song. I don't see why you couldn't remix this.

Would a remix based solely on this source work out? http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kwVRgDvjvPg

Been thinking of doing this lately, inspired by our own Doug Perry. His All-percussion remix was deemed to be not-remixable at first either...but what do y'all think?

Ultimately it's about whether or not it's recognizable, prominent, and taking up most of the remix's length. The all-percussion source still has a lot more rhythm and timbre to draw from. I did a remix based on a four note sequence. It's being judged, and iirc had two NOs last I heard.

I'd say this is borderline impossible. Borderline because I can imagine a few ways of doing it, but I don't think any of them would pass.

"popular music" is usually built off of a structure of 3 or 4 chords that repeat throughout an entire 3 minute song. I don't see why you couldn't remix this.

Popular music also has this thing called melody, usually sung. Rhythm seems fairly common as well. I'm no expert on popular music, but I've heard it sometimes has more instruments too.

Edited by Rozovian

Popular music also has this thing called melody, usually sung. Rhythm seems fairly common as well. I'm no expert on popular music, but I've heard it sometimes has more instruments too.

This is a song that came to mind. I believe a few second source that is only 3 or 4 chords would work fine for a song like this. I was actually planning something like that my own self. You'd think a few second source would be easier for the jooj's to hear, rather than learning a full length source. Don't know why it should be considered a "source of annoyment" or frowned upon. :-P

Yeah, it'd have vocals, and an additional lead melody or two, but apart from that there's really not a lot going on in a song like this. Some drum changes and stuff. Anyway I'm pretty sure I'm gonna make a song like this from a short source so I'll let you know how it goes

This is a song that came to mind. I believe a few second source that is only 3 or 4 chords would work fine for a song like this. I was actually planning something like that my own self. You'd think a few second source would be easier for the jooj's to hear, rather than learning a full length source. Don't know why it should be considered a "source of annoyment" or frowned upon. :-P

Yeah, it'd have vocals, and an additional lead melody or two, but apart from that there's really not a lot going on in a song like this. Some drum changes and stuff. Anyway I'm pretty sure I'm gonna make a song like this from a short source so I'll let you know how it goes

That song has a melodic chorus.

In any case, I should stress again that this is the Ask a Judge thread, not the Ask a Brandon Strader, Ask a Rozovian, or Ask a Somebody Who's Not a Judge thread. People are asking questions in here specifically for an official answer from a judge. In other words, if you're not a judge, please don't answer, because you're only adding to confusion.

Edited by DarkeSword

Ok then, feel free to answer the question

The short answer is yes.

The long answer is, as always, that it depends on the approach taken in the submission. Would a three chord source work as an OC ReMix? As we always say, as long as the piece is recognizably an arrangement of the source material, then it's fair game. Is there enough material there to build a complete, cohesive piece? That's up to the artist to determine and accomplish. Would it pass? We have to hear the remix before we can say anything.