ASK A JUDGE: While we're busy NOT voting - your questions, we want 'em

Liontamer

Would the first song from this be mixable?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YjYf94WPV80

It uses a portion of

by Bach, but... that's public domain isn't it?

EDIT: I'm gonna add this question on just to be a douche, it's more of a general question probably anyone could answer, but anyway... once you have an NSF or whatnot for Chipamp, how do you actually find out the name of the songs? They're all just listed as Track #.. and some of these are purty obscure

Edited by Brandon Strader
typo lmao

Would the first song from this be mixable?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YjYf94WPV80

It uses a portion of

by Bach, but... that's public domain isn't it?

EDIT: I'm gonna add this question on just to be a douche, it's more of a general question probably anyone could answer, but anyway... once you have an NSF or whatnot for Chipamp, how do you actually find out the name of the songs? They're all just listed as Track #.. and some of these are purty obscure

This is pretty much the same question as came up for this sub: http://ocremix.org/forums/showthread.php?t=32570. Song is remixable but only the original parts. Public domain or not doesn't matter with our standards. I would be surprised to see a passable arrangement of the Gyruss song, most of it is Bach.

Track names can come from the game itself, OSTs, names the composer has provided some other way, or sometimes fans will come up with names. I think we use names in that order.

Edited by Palpable

Hello folks,

I seem to be suffering a submission fall-through; I submitted a remix for consideration way back on the 26th of September last year, which I know was listened to as I got an email on the 5th of December advising me to sort out a problem with the track's high-end. I attempted to do so, and within 24hrs replied to this email with the amended track attached.

I have not since heard from anyone regarding this; I sent a PM to Liontamer on December 30th to ask about its status, but he did not respond, so I thought I'd best mention this here.

My question ultimately is whether or not the amended version was received, and, if so, whether it was sent to the back of the queue again. I'm also worried by the fact that it has never appeared in the "Currently in the Judging Process" thread.

The remix's title is "Snowfall", which uses "People of the North Pole" from FFX as its source.

Thanks!

Hi dear Judges! Considering folk/classical songs ReMix isn't accepted (as you told to various people in this topic since bLiNd's track was rejected), can we use parts of folk/classical music in a ReMix? For instance, can we mix the SMB Theme with Bach's Toccata (or another classical track)?

I know there were problems with Rize's Aria of Sorrow ReMix (which he had to cut the organ intro), so I thought asking would definitively help me. Thanks! :)

Hi dear Judges! Considering folk/classical songs ReMix isn't accepted (as you told to various people in this topic since bLiNd's track was rejected), can we use parts of folk/classical music in a ReMix? For instance, can we mix the SMB Theme with Bach's Toccata (or another classical track)?

I know there were problems with Rize's Aria of Sorrow ReMix (which he had to cut the organ intro), so I thought asking would definitively help me. Thanks! :)

Precedence: http://ocremix.org/remix/OCR00753/

Hello folks,

I seem to be suffering a submission fall-through; I submitted a remix for consideration way back on the 26th of September last year, which I know was listened to as I got an email on the 5th of December advising me to sort out a problem with the track's high-end. I attempted to do so, and within 24hrs replied to this email with the amended track attached.

I have not since heard from anyone regarding this; I sent a PM to Liontamer on December 30th to ask about its status, but he did not respond, so I thought I'd best mention this here.

My question ultimately is whether or not the amended version was received, and, if so, whether it was sent to the back of the queue again. I'm also worried by the fact that it has never appeared in the "Currently in the Judging Process" thread.

The remix's title is "Snowfall", which uses "People of the North Pole" from FFX as its source.

Thanks!

We've got the amended version, but yeah sometimes when we're waiting on a new version, we don't pick it up immediately. Thanks for letting us know, I've added it to the queue.

The usage has got to be minimal. Even in Pachelbel's Ganon, it's more the Canon style and sequence that is being used rather than the melodies. We have to look at songs case-by-case.

Edited by Palpable

That Space Invaders threads in the Judges forum got me thinking. It got 2 NO's and a NO (resub) That resub was from Vinnie, and that set the ol' gears turning. if a 4-note source could possibly make it on if it was fleshed out enough, I'm wondering, what about THIS source (

)?

Probably the most minimal source ever, and since I'm sorta interested in avant-garde music like some of John Cage's stuff ( 4'33" comes to mind, as well as a bunch of others, definitely not that one though ), I'm wondering...would it work if done well?

It's been bugging me lately and I'm trying to figure out how it could work.

That Space Invaders threads in the Judges forum got me thinking. It got 2 NO's and a NO (resub) That resub was from Vinnie, and that set the ol' gears turning. if a 4-note source could possibly make it on if it was fleshed out enough, I'm wondering, what about THIS source (
)?

Probably the most minimal source ever, and since I'm sorta interested in avant-garde music like some of John Cage's stuff ( 4'33" comes to mind, as well as a bunch of others, definitely not that one though ), I'm wondering...would it work if done well?

It's been bugging me lately and I'm trying to figure out how it could work.

It's repetitive, but not as minimalist as you think. The percussion and beep form something anyone could be able to work with. That music is a lot more defined than something from, say, flOw. You'd likely have to pair this with something else from 1942 to have a concept that could extend pasta few minutes, but it sounds viable. As always, it's a case by case basis.

I'm willing to ReMix a track from an old PC game (I want to keep it secret ^^), but I didn't manage to find a link to a video or the source. In that case, can we send a MIDI of the original track along with the ReMix in our submission?

Yeah, that's fine, though if you have a link to an external source, that's preferable. Just so we know that you didn't create a MIDI yourself.

Possible chance for judges queue update? :P

Speaking of that I don't mean to cause a fuss, but that Final Fantasy X Dreams of Death mix is a project track, for BadAss boss themes 1... just saiyan.. cause it's listed as a regular mix. :-o

EDIT: Also what the duck? Someone did a World of Illusion mix? I can't believe it! Part of me wants it to fail so I can be the first to make a World of Illusion mix that passes but the other part of me wants it to pass so we can have the first World of Illusion mix... damn... This same thing happened with that Sole Signal Halo 3 mix, I wanted to do that song but I waited too long. Damn all these projects slowing me down!!1 :-(

Edited by Brandon Strader