ASK A JUDGE: While we're busy NOT voting - your questions, we want 'em

Liontamer

i still a bit new to submissions after just lurking and posting stupid tracks:mrgreen:

I think this may have been asked already...

But how long is the judging process? I never gotta email back since i subbed think :P

and i do know judges are busy with things other then judging remixes, just curious.

Right now, we've got a sizable backlog, we're looking at stuff from last November. It could take a while. You should have gotten an automated e-mail right as you submitted; double-check your e-mail to make sure you got that. If you did get that e-mail, you just got to wait...

You don't have to be credited on anything you don't want to be. I would only ever ask for my name on a remix I played guitar on if I felt I contributed to the arrangement or the production in some meaningful way. But if whoever you played the live stuff for wanted to credit you anyway, it's up to them.

Generally speaking, you need to be credited. Whether than involves a formal credit or at least credit in the comments area of a file takes into account the level of contribution. But if you do something substantive, in almost all cases you're going to be credited. We haven't had a case where EVERYONE on 1 track requests not to be credited, or wanted to Alan Smithee their stuff.

Whether than involves a formal credit or at least credit in the comments area of a file takes into account the level of contribution.

I was talking more formal credits. Like, if I just played 12 bars of guitar someone had written, I wouldn't want it being listed as 'X, Fishy'. I would just want a comment in the writeup saying I did it. Still credited but not as an equal partner.

I felt REALLY awkward about the 'House of Frogs' credit for example. I didn't write those guitar parts, Prizm did. If anything that mix should have been prophet only, and me and prizm in the writeup credits. Prophet will probably disagree with me there, but eh.

I felt REALLY awkward about the 'House of Frogs' credit for example. I didn't write those guitar parts, Prizm did. If anything that mix should have been prophet only, and me and prizm in the writeup credits. Prophet will probably disagree with me there, but eh.

understood. however, there is no song without your playing. i'd understand if it was just a small part of it, and i would have had to cover with robo-guitar without you. since the song's a duet, you kind of have to get credit no matter what. it's the same as if i'd written the parts and you played them.

So songs like bLiNd's Sakura that use too much of an existing score are still allowed on projects, or do they get pushed out altogether to the realm of doom and fuego?

I'm essentially asking if a song of

still allowed on albums. :-D

yeah, you're allowed to be a lot more flexible with your project tracks, as i showed with LA.

yeah, you're allowed to be a lot more flexible with your project tracks, as i showed with LA.

And does the staff also have a concern about how many solo projects a person has lined up to do? Some people know I have a bunch lined up to do solo. Public multiple-person projects I have are just FF1 (which is ending) and FF2 which is officially beginning when FF1 ends and hopes to gain approval based on the success of ff1. So it's really just those 2 unless I forgot one. The rest I have scheduled are for me personally as solo albums, they don't figure into whether or not ff2 will be "allowed" to progress will they? I'm not even going to try to get approval for the solo albums, what's the point, I don't need my own subforum. A thread would be nice though. But I can legally make one of those when I have a preview ready and some finishing dates in mind. :-o

A few people including a couple ocr staff came at me today about the number of solo projects I have lined up and thought I'd ask/share this info/see what the joojs say. :-o

And does the staff also have a concern about how many solo projects a person has lined up to do? Some people know I have a bunch lined up to do solo. Public multiple-person projects I have are just FF1 (which is ending) and FF2 which is officially beginning when FF1 ends and hopes to gain approval based on the success of ff1. So it's really just those 2 unless I forgot one. The rest I have scheduled are for me personally as solo albums, they don't figure into whether or not ff2 will be "allowed" to progress will they? I'm not even going to try to get approval for the solo albums, what's the point, I don't need my own subforum. A thread would be nice though. But I can legally make one of those when I have a preview ready and some finishing dates in mind. :-o

A few people including a couple ocr staff came at me today about the number of solo projects I have lined up and thought I'd ask/share this info/see what the joojs say. :-o

Out of curiosity are these solo projects aimed for OCR release in the end? Are they open for people to join?

They're not aiming for 'site approval' as it were but the ultimate hope is to have them released here, yes

They're not recruiting for people like a regular album, but the door is open for people to walk in and say "I want to do this", especially if they have some kind of sentimental attachment to the song too.

I'm not planning to submit them all or finish them all at the same time

Does this change anything^? :-o

I just want to make some nice albums of songs without being too worried.. :-)

They're not aiming for 'site approval' as it were but the ultimate hope is to have them released here, yes

Can you be a bit more specific here.

When you say you want to release them 'here', do you mean you want an officially hosted torrent, or you want to just make a release thread in community saying 'I made this album, download it here plz' and submit your tracks.

The latter you don't even have to ask us about.

The former... I mean, if you're gonna submit the tracks to OCR anyway - if the majority of them are OCR passes there's no reason it can't be an officially released album a la Joshua Morse/AnSo's ones. The only concern is you're starting a lot of stuff and then being a bit vague about your aspirations from what I can tell.

Sorry! What I mean is that I would like them to be released here as official albums. I'll be subbing the tracks along the way and I always consult with a jooj when I have a song 'finished'.

I was once told that it didn't matter if you have approval, that if an album is site quality then they would release it. :-o

That's about the solo albums, I want FF1 and FF2 to be released as OCR albums too, they are multiple-people albums. FF1 is ending soon so I'll have a nice zip for staffs hopefully within a couple weeks.

Sorry! What I mean is that I would like them to be released here as official albums. I'll be subbing the tracks along the way and I always consult with a jooj when I have a song 'finished'.

I was once told that it didn't matter if you have approval, that if an album is site quality then they would release it. :-o

That's about the solo albums, I want FF1 and FF2 to be released as OCR albums too, they are multiple-people albums. FF1 is ending soon so I'll have a nice zip for staffs hopefully within a couple weeks.

I do have concerns about people lining up several solo projects or several collaboration projects.

For collaboration projects, both the leader and the participants need enough time and skill to make a quality enough album. Unless you and nearly everyone else on your projects can get mixes passed on OCR very regularly, the likelihood you're gonna have two FF albums done without lengthy revisions is low. And we're definitely not going to constantly micromanage projects that you yourself should be leading in order to get it to a point where we can release it.

You got your feet wet with Teen Agent, and there were some good tracks on there, mostly by you. But you haven't demonstrated the track record to create a project where it's very clear that the overall product is already quality enough and that we don't need to assist you with it over several months, especially with the FF1 WIPs I reviewed early on.

So if you think you're gonna be able to fire off several more projects that aren't consistent enough yet and that we'll spend large amounts of energy nursing 'em into OCR projects, it's not gonna happen. If the albums are quality enough, we'll be glad to release them and pimp 'em for you. If they're not, we won't, but we be glad to post tracks from them if participants submit them.

For solo projects, we just don't want or need several solo albums. The general premise is for collaborative community albums, not just any and all solo albums that are submitted, even good ones. We don't necessarily want 4, 5, 6 albums from one person or led by one person. We've gladly accepted solo albums (from Joshua Morse and anosou) at our discretion, but our main focus is on community projects with diverse lineups, diverse premises and diverse creators.

Any submitted album, community or solo, we accept at our discretion just like ReMixes. In other words, just because you plan to make it definitely doesn't mean we plan to release it.

Perhaps it is true that I have made far too many plans as far as solo albums are concerned then, and I may stick to subbing the songs and think of the release aspect of that at a later time.. I can still flag tracks as "project" and just let them sit there?

Hopefully you guys will be impressed with the quality of the community album ff1, I have a lot of faith in it, I think the tracks have become very refined compared to those early wips you checked out

edit: I'm going to decide which solo albums to release on bandcamp or whatnot, that should get rid of the problems I'm having in this situation.. ;-)

Edited by Brandon Strader

• 1 month later...

I originally made this 40 second snippet a few months back so I could ask you something, but I forgot about it. I still kept it though, and eh, decided to ask away eventually. Apparently. Heh.

At any rate...

Would it be fine if I used actual game music in this way? http://www.speedyshare.com/files/27304838/Idea.mp3

Actual game music fades in and then it gets all acid. Heh

(Bayou Billy, by the way)

I originally made this 40 second snippet a few months back so I could ask you something, but I forgot about it. I still kept it though, and eh, decided to ask away eventually. Apparently. Heh.

At any rate...

Would it be fine if I used actual game music in this way? http://www.speedyshare.com/files/27304838/Idea.mp3

Actual game music fades in and then it gets all acid. Heh

(Bayou Billy, by the way)

Your link's not working for me, but actual game music usage needs to be minimal. This is the most recent sub I can think of that we passed with game music usage, and the decision was split: http://ocremix.org/remix/OCR01853/

If a Jooj could help out I'd appreciate it.. I keep trying to say "(2010/09/21) Final Fantasy 10 'Dreams of Death' *RESUB*" is a project track but I don't think anyone believes me so it's still listed as a regular tbp... I promise you it is a project track for the BadAss Boss Themes project volume 1. :-o

Edited by Brandon Strader

If a Jooj could help out I'd appreciate it.. I keep trying to say "(2010/09/21) Final Fantasy 10 'Dreams of Death' *RESUB*" is a project track but I don't think anyone believes me so it's still listed as a regular tbp... I promise you it is a project track for the BadAss Boss Themes project volume 1. :-o

Updated the thread. We had it marked correctly internally.

• 2 weeks later...

I'm a little confused over the "To Be Posted" sections of the Judging Process thread. Does that list contain mixes to be posted to the site (ie. mixes with YES decisions) or mixes whose decisions have yet to be posted to the Decisions forum? If the former, I notice there are mixes from 2009 on that list; why might this step take this long?

That list is remixes that have been submitted and YES'd. The date listed there is actually the date they were submitted to the panel. It may have taken a long time to come to a decision on those mixes but I must agree that is a fairly long time.

Actually I just noticed, all but one of those '09 tracks are from either the FFV project or the Pokemon project. They were probably completed early in the projects, which have only just come out recently. Those tracks must not have been in the initial flood and djp is spreading them out. No idea about the Lemmings one.