ASK A JUDGE: While we're busy NOT voting - your questions, we want 'em

Liontamer

I got the same problem with VV. I think it's the first site that features it that gets this link. Or not.

Could be that, ah. They probably do get more views through the OCR site but maybe the site isn't set up in a way that it could be listed as the "as seen on" thing. *shrug* Maybe that's why it lists reddit, even thouh the vids probably get like, 30 views or less from being linked on reddit. :|

Just checked the official explanation on youtube's blog, and it says: "if a blog or site is responsible for driving a significant amount of a video's views, that site will be credited on the page"

So I guess it's based on what site made highest traffic recently. If it's updated daily or weekly, that could explain why Reddit was listed (if most views that day/week came from Reddit instead of OCR)

Vanilla is a funny adjective to use in votes, especially since vanilla ice cream is so awesome. I don't think there's anything inherently problematic about simple vanilla synths, but you need to pair it with something that captures the attention more. Instead of comparing a boring song to vanilla ice cream, compare it to a vanilla sundae with vanilla sauce and vanilla sprinkles - that's more accurate. Hmm, no, that actually sounds pretty good too.

I have a question; Will OCR accept a vocal arrangement that uses ripped vocals from the source track or someone has to sing and record their own (or someone else's) vocals for the track to become OCR compliant?

Heavy sampling of the original game music, whether it be the instrumental or vocal lines, is discouraged. We look at it on a case by case basis, but the standards have been tightened since the days of http://ocremix.org/remix/OCR00191/.

I'm just one judge, but IMO if an arrangement leans on direct sampling as a crutch to provide connections to the source material, it's an easy NO.

IMO, if you direct sample original game music, 1) it can't be for a long period of time, and 2) if you removed the sampling entirely, the arrangement still would have incorporated the source material more than enough to pass.

Edited by Liontamer
corrected "original game audio" to "original game music" re: Dj Mokram's question

IMO, if you direct sample original game audio, 1) it can't be for a long period of time, and 2) if you removed the sampling entirely, the arrangement still would have incorporated the source material more than enough to pass.

What about using ingame dialogue to provide a backdrop for the arrangement?

Does this warrant an instant rejection as well (including for project mixes)?

What about using ingame dialogue to provide a backdrop for the arrangement?

Does this warrant an instant rejection as well (including for project mixes)?

In-game dialogue and spoken material isn't musical, so really what's limited is sampling original game music, and thus extensively direct sampling music that you yourself didn't write and create.

Dialogue sampling is fine. (Just keep it mind that it doesn't count as arrangement of source music.) djp extensively sampled in-game dialogue for his most recent mix from Crush: http://ocremix.org/remix/OCR02211/

As a serious question: Would you ever accept a remix of the Sonic 2 ending theme? It's originally a
, and a lot of early Sonic music actually uses some melodies from other songs by DCT, including Green Hill and Star Light.

http://ocremix.org/remix/OCR02122/ ?

damn, never knew about these dreams come true tracks. these are great.

Edited by halc

As a serious question: Would you ever accept a remix of the Sonic 2 ending theme? It's originally a
, and a lot of early Sonic music actually uses some melodies from other songs by DCT, including Green Hill and Star Light.

I was aware of the Sonic 2/Sweet Sweet Sweet connection (in fact, I have that Dreams Come True album), but I hadn't realized there were other DCT connections. Going off of the very close release dates between that album and Sonic 2, it's likely the song was written both for his group and for the game, in which case it would be eligible to remix. I'd have to do more research to be sure, but I would definitely err on the side of letting the ending theme be eligible if we can't find something conclusive.

We had a similar discussion about Hikari, but it was clear from interviews that Utada had at least kept the game in mind while writing the song (though I can't find a link for you anymore), so that was conclusive enough to say it was ok for remixing.

Edited by Palpable

Not touching on the other Sonic tunes, but Yuji Naka says in the liner notes of the recently released Sonic 1 & 2 soundtrack that the Sonic 2 ending theme came first and was later reworked into the vocal version:

"… after finishing all of the tracks for the sequel, Nakamura sent me a fax saying, 'I've got a present for you. It's a surprise!' The other members of Sonic Team and I tried to figure out what it might be, but we could never have guessed that Nakamura reworked the ending theme that he provided us for 'Sonic the Hedgehog 2' into a song entitled 'SWEET SWEET SWEET' for inclusion on the DREAMS COME TRUE album that he worked on in London."

Thanks for the previous answer. Another question (two actually):

1. Is it acceptable to use a non-videogame song's background stuff (drums, bass etc.) as a backdrop for a videogame arrangement? e.g. using rhythm/pattern of "Smooth Criminal" as a style for Ice Cap remix? (By "use", I mean arrange the style not just sample it)

2. Is it acceptable to include non-videogame songs as part of a videogame mix? (maybe a verse or two)

1. Keep this to an absolute minimum. One off passages sure but if it's super obvious the exact song you're imitating for a large chunk of time then you're paying just as much tribute to the non-vg song, which is not what we're about.

But for example of ok use, I sometimes copy drum parts from Dream Theater songs, but never for more then 8 bars or so.

2. Again it cannot form a large part of your remix. 10-15% at the most. This is a video game arrangement community, not a mashup one.

Any incorporation or arrangement of source material not from games (mainstream, classical, etc.) should be extremely limited.
Edited by Fishy