ASK A JUDGE: While we're busy NOT voting - your questions, we want 'em

Liontamer

1. Is it acceptable to use a non-videogame song's background stuff (drums, bass etc.) as a backdrop for a videogame arrangement? e.g. using rhythm/pattern of "Smooth Criminal" as a style for Ice Cap remix? (By "use", I mean arrange the style not just sample it)
Are you on about actually intentionally cameoing it, or just taking inspiration from that rhythm/chord sequence? Because in a way I don't think you can avoid the latter, everyone does it.

What's the policy on marketing yourself as a composer in the Recruit & Collab forum? It's kind'a like selling ice to eskimos (as iirc Meteo put it), but it doesn't say anywhere that you can't do it, and there's no other place on the forum for it (short of sharing remixes or originals, which tends to not be the goal of those posts).

I don't really like it, as there's loads of aspiring composers in the community contributing to the community who deserve the publicity posts like that can generate, and if we start having lots of self-marketing posts there we'd have collab requests and recruiting posts get drowned... by non-community ppl just marketing themselves, and ocr folks making use of the opportunity in a community they're a part of.

It doesn't happen too often, and I'm not saying every aspiring composer isn't gonna contribute to ocr, but perhaps a sticky on what should and shouldn't go into that forum would be a good thing.

What's the policy on marketing yourself as a composer in the Recruit & Collab forum? It's kind'a like selling ice to eskimos (as iirc Meteo put it), but it doesn't say anywhere that you can't do it, and there's no other place on the forum for it (short of sharing remixes or originals, which tends to not be the goal of those posts).

I don't really like it, as there's loads of aspiring composers in the community contributing to the community who deserve the publicity posts like that can generate, and if we start having lots of self-marketing posts there we'd have collab requests and recruiting posts get drowned... by non-community ppl just marketing themselves, and ocr folks making use of the opportunity in a community they're a part of.

It doesn't happen too often, and I'm not saying every aspiring composer isn't gonna contribute to ocr, but perhaps a sticky on what should and shouldn't go into that forum would be a good thing.

Not really a judge question, but yeah, I think that kind of thing ought to be discouraged.

1. So in the "TO BE JUDGED " post, im confused, its says that the panel should look at mixes on or before nov "x" (as any date in november to simplify what im getting at). so does that mean including mixes since august-sept?

2. Can I do straight guitar and drum covers of songs, kinda like this

and this
but faster in tempo.

3. If I add the phrase "pancakes" to my mixes under a vox synth (or vocoder), will it increase chances of gets a "Yes"?

1. So in the "TO BE JUDGED " post, im confused, its says that the panel should look at mixes on or before nov "x" (as any date in november to simplify what im getting at). so does that mean including mixes since august-sept?

2. Can I do straight guitar and drum covers of songs, kinda like this

and this
but faster in tempo.

3. If I add the phrase "pancakes" to my mixes under a vox synth (or vocoder), will it increase chances of gets a "Yes"?

1. Yes, we've looked at everything before Nov 13. If you submitted something before that date that didn't show up on this list, and you didn't get a direct rejection email about it, PM one of us.

2. This site is about interpretation. Anything where you're just straight copying the parts for guitar and drums is not gonna pass.

3. It might.

Are you on about actually intentionally cameoing it, or just taking inspiration from that rhythm/chord sequence? Because in a way I don't think you can avoid the latter, everyone does it.

I almost, always try to come up with new styles but just once, I actually wanted to do Ice Cap mix with just about everything taken from "Smooth Criminal" as inspiration. Don't think it'll be accepted though :)

• 3 weeks later...

If a source repeats a phrase but in a different key, do you have to put a keychange into your track as well to follow the source?

I'm asking because I am remixing this:

and it repeats the same phrase twice. The second time after the bridge (which I know I must add) and at a higher key (one semitone up actually).

would it be okay if I more or less stayed at the same key?

• 2 weeks later...

Ok, Judges. Got one for you.

I am almost done with a remix that uses samples from like 5 different posted OCRemixes, most in rather subtle and (I think) clever ways. It is a tribute mix to Marc Star's remix of Sakura's Theme from Street Fighter. It is definitely its own remix.

Would a limited usage of samples (like small string phrases, drum fills, guitar licks) from other OCRemixes be acceptable when submitting a remix?

Ok, Judges. Got one for you.

I am almost done with a remix that uses samples from like 5 different posted OCRemixes, most in rather subtle and (I think) clever ways. It is a tribute mix to Marc Star's remix of Sakura's Theme from Street Fighter. It is definitely its own remix.

Would a limited usage of samples (like small string phrases, drum fills, guitar licks) from other OCRemixes be acceptable when submitting a remix?

I'd have to hear it and just how heavily the sampling is tied to the overall arrangement. Seems case by case to me, just offhand.

Sorry if this has been asked before, but, are there any rules or recommendations on how often you should post in the WIP forums? I tend to have a lot of free time for remixing, but the amount of feedback in the WIP forums isn't at the same level, so I tend to work on other mixes I have in progress as well as make some new ones. On a typical weekend I could make 2 or 3 mixes, and I'm worried that posting all of them might be overkill. Am I just over thinking this?

Is there a method to the post selections? There are quite a few in the TBP list, some from over a year ago, some from last year, etc. Is there a selection process that is used to determine which one from the list gets posted next?

Though the bottom line is posting chronologically, there are things that sway which mixes are posted when. There's a lot of these, so it does kind of make it look random at times, but here's just a few examples:

1) An album mixflood

2) Some event happening that a TBP mix can be relevant to (see the Minecraft posting around Minecon, or the recent postings for Gario, Flexstyle, and Rozovian for their Workshop Mod promotion, or even the mini-mixflood on the Metroid anniversary day last year)

3) Outside material is released and some of it has been submitted to OCR (see The One-Ups Super Mario Kart mix released near the time they did their album, or the mixes posted when Hylian Lemon released his Essence of Lime album)

On the backend, there are some things that determine which mixes are available to post. Some of those older ones may have some minor thing that needs remedying, such as getting a proper bitrate version or consent of multiple artists if needed. There are a few other things, but you get the idea. It also really just depends on what Dave wants to post that day, but he does like to fall back on chronological order if all else fails.

Hope that helps answer your question!

Edit:

What are your feelings regarding use of samples, soundfonts, and presets?

Do you find a mix to be of lesser value if these are used, as opposed to an author making their own patches and/or recording physical instruments?

Speaking strictly about patches, soundfonts, and presets, it doesn't really matter as long as it works. If something SOUNDS vanilla and boring and not good, then yes, it makes a difference. However, if it sounds good and tight and awesome, doesn't matter what they are. I personally use a lot of stock stuff and other people's presets because I'm not very good at making my own, nor do I have the knowledge to make stuff from scratch. And for things like Kontakt and Omnisphere, the presets that they come with are awesome.

Sorry if this has been asked before, but, are there any rules or recommendations on how often you should post in the WIP forums? I tend to have a lot of free time for remixing, but the amount of feedback in the WIP forums isn't at the same level, so I tend to work on other mixes I have in progress as well as make some new ones. On a typical weekend I could make 2 or 3 mixes, and I'm worried that posting all of them might be overkill. Am I just over thinking this?

I'd say posting one every 3 days would probably be the best way to have your WIP mixes up without seeming like spamming. There's no hard-rule but obviously there's some logic in not shooting yourself in the foot by posting way more than people can get to. Sooner or later, it might be best to only post some of what you do there, and do the rest via direct feedback with people on the side.

Edited by Level 99

• 2 weeks later...

You guys took so long of a break from NO'ing that people think it's a special occasion :lol: haha... You still judged in the background though, not that the average person would know.

I wanted to ask what's up with electronica. Does OCR receive primarily electronica submissions? How many metal ones do you get and how many of them succeed in passing the panel? Sometimes it seems like metal is less encouraged, it doesn't get featured very often... Unsung Heroes was an awesome album and it got a great few acoustic songs on the front page. Most of the non-album tracks are electronica, and I think there's a couple orchestral, maybe 3. There is no metal on the front page and apart from Sixto's "The Shredder", there is no metal on the Previous On... section at the bottom. :-o

Not trying to be a jerk or anything, or j'accuse or anything, I was just curious about some of the figures about what you receive and what makes it, etc.

Edited by Brandon Strader