ASK A JUDGE: While we're busy NOT voting - your questions, we want 'em

Liontamer

You guys took so long of a break from NO'ing that people think it's a special occasion :lol: haha... You still judged in the background though, not that the average person would know.

I wanted to ask what's up with electronica. Does OCR receive primarily electronica submissions? How many metal ones do you get and how many of them succeed in passing the panel? Sometimes it seems like metal is less encouraged, it doesn't get featured very often... Unsung Heroes was an awesome album and it got a great few acoustic songs on the front page. Most of the non-album tracks are electronica, and I think there's a couple orchestral, maybe 3. There is no metal on the front page and apart from Sixto's "The Shredder", there is no metal on the Previous On... section at the bottom. :-o

Not trying to be a jerk or anything, or j'accuse or anything, I was just curious about some of the figures about what you receive and what makes it, etc.

I've wondered this too.

There needs to be moar metal!

You guys took so long of a break from NO'ing that people think it's a special occasion :lol: haha... You still judged in the background though, not that the average person would know.

I wanted to ask what's up with electronica. Does OCR receive primarily electronica submissions? How many metal ones do you get and how many of them succeed in passing the panel? Sometimes it seems like metal is less encouraged, it doesn't get featured very often... Unsung Heroes was an awesome album and it got a great few acoustic songs on the front page. Most of the non-album tracks are electronica, and I think there's a couple orchestral, maybe 3. There is no metal on the front page and apart from Sixto's "The Shredder", there is no metal on the Previous On... section at the bottom. :-o

Not trying to be a jerk or anything, or j'accuse or anything, I was just curious about some of the figures about what you receive and what makes it, etc.

Pretty sure we just get less metal then electronica, it's not at all a question of what we encourage (which is everything). I mean, I'd say the number of subs we get that feature any live instrumentation is less than the number of totally synthetic songs, though I haven't crunched the numbers.

The only way to get a custom avatar is to have done something for the site or with your career or something. You have to earn it, basically.

For now, the best we can do is create the little 32x32 GIFs and post them in the Forum Avatars thread under Projects and wait for the rare times when Larry goes through them and adds the acceptable ones.

The only way to get a custom avatar is to have done something for the site or with your career or something. You have to earn it, basically.

For now, the best we can do is create the little 32x32 GIFs and post them in the Forum Avatars thread under Projects and wait for the rare times when Larry goes through them and adds the acceptable ones.

ahhh I see

It's the weirdest thing but whenever I'm on this site it starts to look like the very light gray gradients are pink, so then the site looks pink to me... It's kinda weird, I don't think you guys are changing it to pink. I can't help but see pink on the lighter grays though.

You guys need beta testers for the new site design? :-o

It's the weirdest thing but whenever I'm on this site it starts to look like the very light gray gradients are pink, so then the site looks pink to me... It's kinda weird, I don't think you guys are changing it to pink. I can't help but see pink on the lighter grays though.

IMO its probably the color balance on your monitor.

Or yellow light reflecting on the monitor that makes the gray look like it has a pink tint.

You guys need beta testers for the new site design? :-o

We've never needed any.

Or yellow light reflecting on the monitor that makes the gray look like it has a pink tint.

Yeah, any light imbalances will make the gray (which I think is between #888888 and #cccccc) appear anything but. If your monitor has more red than anything else, then the color will view as #ddcccc instead of the #cccccc as the webpage html codes for (or whatever the #hexdec value is)

It looks like it is baby blue when I look at the site on my smartphone like I am doing now. So weird, I use an HDTV as a monitor, it's also big enough to be the light source of the room so there's no reflections. One of those things I guess. Tv has pink booties, smartphone has blue booties. I'm excited for the new site design that was displayed somewhat at mag x. Is it going to launch this year?

RE: Beta testers, not precisely, but what we do need is folks that, when we go live, try to avoid kneejerk reactions, help us track any issues, etc. - it's easier to get feedback on a production site from a lot of people and fix it as we go, and that's the plan.

I keep wanting to fix more things and add more stuff but at this point I need to keep reminding myself that we just need to get it out there. Ultimately, the features & content we add after the fact are more important than the facelift, but you have to start somewhere.

Yeah, any light imbalances will make the gray (which I think is between #888888 and #cccccc) appear anything but. If your monitor has more red than anything else, then the color will view as #ddcccc instead of the #cccccc as the webpage html codes for (or whatever the #hexdec value is)

This is why I like tube moniters, but there so dang heavy.

Excuse me, was the sidebar a mistake or are you saying the removal of the sidebar was the mistake? I don't remember the sidebar but I'm sure it was amazing.

There were a few mistakes made with the sidebar and how the response to it was handled (on both sides.) I think it was about this time where more of the underlying feelings of the rest of the site vs. UnMod really began to come to light. Here, let's allow The Coop to explain.

Edited by KyleJCrb

There were a few mistakes made with the sidebar and how the response to it was handled (on both sides.) I think it was about this time where more of the underlying feelings of the rest of the site vs. UnMod really began to come to light. Here, let's allow The Coop to explain.

There was no mistake on our side, so we can forget that "everyone's kind of at fault" nonsense. :lol:

You know I am sure I was on these forums during the time of the sidebar, and I remember there being a login panel on the left, but I never considered it to be a "sidebar" so much. I am not on The Copo's list of people who were banned from the sidebar bashing tirade. I thought the sidebar, if that's what it was, was great and a useful utility that should return and I hope it does.