ASK A JUDGE: While we're busy NOT voting - your questions, we want 'em

Liontamer

Although this is more a question for djp since he does all the posts, I was wondering how posted mixes are chosen from those that have been accepted seeing as it's clearly not chronological.

I'm asking because there are a few in the 'to be posted' section that are from all the way back in 2010 and even 2009.

I used to wonder about that too, so I made a point of remembering this response by Level 99 a while back in this thread. Maybe it'll help:

Though the bottom line is posting chronologically, there are things that sway which mixes are posted when. There's a lot of these, so it does kind of make it look random at times, but here's just a few examples:

1) An album mixflood

2) Some event happening that a TBP mix can be relevant to (see the Minecraft posting around Minecon, or the recent postings for Gario, Flexstyle, and Rozovian for their Workshop Mod promotion, or even the mini-mixflood on the Metroid anniversary day last year)

3) Outside material is released and some of it has been submitted to OCR (see The One-Ups Super Mario Kart mix released near the time they did their album, or the mixes posted when Hylian Lemon released his Essence of Lime album)

On the backend, there are some things that determine which mixes are available to post. Some of those older ones may have some minor thing that needs remedying, such as getting a proper bitrate version or consent of multiple artists if needed. There are a few other things, but you get the idea. It also really just depends on what Dave wants to post that day, but he does like to fall back on chronological order if all else fails.

Hope that helps answer your question!

Hey I just realized BLIND GUARDIAN is remixable on OCR.

Can staff confirm or deny this?

Here's the song:

The song was made for the game Sacred 2 and was featured as an in-game concert, I played the game and pretty much dumped it after seeing that. It had fulfilled its purpose for me.

Game released November 11th, 2008

Blind Guardian's album that features the song was released on July 30th, 2010 almost 2 years later!

Please confirm this staff

please confirm this

Here's the song:

The song was made for the game Sacred 2 and was featured as an in-game concert, I played the game and pretty much dumped it after seeing that. It had fulfilled its purpose for me.

Blind Guardian's album that features the song was released on July 30th, 2010 almost 2 years later!

please confirm this

According to all the articles I read, you're in the clear. Go for it!

Here's the song:

please confirm this

Now the only problem is...how are you going to make that song even more awesome? :P

But seriously just to get some confirmation on this as a whole...

If a song is used in a game, and the album releases either on the same day, or a year later, etc -- does that mean the song is safe to remix for OCR?

Because assuming the album release is coordinated for same-day release, that would mean the song was already built into the game possibly months or even years in advance due to the length of time it takes to make games and implement the audio.

Is it safe to assume that any song a band makes for a game that is released on the game FIRST is safe to remix for OCR?

It's all about what came first, right? The chicken, of course. Can staff confirm this?

But seriously just to get some confirmation on this as a whole...

If a song is used in a game, and the album releases either on the same day, or a year later, etc -- does that mean the song is safe to remix for OCR?

Because assuming the album release is coordinated for same-day release, that would mean the song was already built into the game possibly months or even years in advance due to the length of time it takes to make games and implement the audio.

Is it safe to assume that any song a band makes for a game that is released on the game FIRST is safe to remix for OCR?

It's all about what came first, right? The chicken, of course. Can staff confirm this?

The answer's already there.

The music must have been composed specifically for the game or first published (or recognized) as the game's soundtrack.

Proof your Blind Guardian track was commissioned for Sacred 2.

Edited by Liontamer

Ah ok. It doesn't hurt to ask though right?

Cause there's a lot of really cool stuff, like

and
, that I'd hope were remixable because they're so cool. :-D

I guess my answer is questioned though, thank you. :-D

"Late Goodbye" is definitely eligible (and a great song): http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Poets_of_the_Fall#Early_years_.282003.E2.80.932004.29

The KoRn track is most likely eligible, but I've yet to see the smoking gun evidence for it.

This is a good topic, as I'm interested in David Bowie's (and Reeves Gabrels') work in Omikron: the Nomad Soul. They were first recorded for the game, but "hours.." (the Bowie album from that time) did come out earlier. The Omikron tracks are different takes, and sound a bit more raw, almost like demos. I kind of doubt they (at least most) were *really* written with the game in mind, but that's just my speculation, and I think I got the chronology down in the above. (In my mind they should be eligible even if they were re-recorded for the "hours.." album (which came out first) and in one case released as a b-side).

Oh, and if The Pixies submitted

, would it pass the panel?

Cool about the Late Goodbye btw, I'll have to consider doing that one.. my fiancé likes the Poets of the Fall debut album. =)

--Eino

This is a good topic, as I'm interested in David Bowie's (and Reeves Gabrels') work in Omikron: the Nomad Soul. They were first recorded for the game, but "hours.." (the Bowie album from that time) did come out earlier. The Omikron tracks are different takes, and sound a bit more raw, almost like demos. I kind of doubt they (at least most) were *really* written with the game in mind, but that's just my speculation, and I think I got the chronology down in the above. (In my mind they should be eligible even if they were re-recorded for the "hours.." album (which came out first) and in one case released as a b-side).

Got this from the game's wikipedia:

David Bowie, who had some input on the storyline and game's design, makes two cameo appearances within the game, although not as himself; first as Boz, a game character who's a revolutionary wanted by authorities, and secondly as the nameless lead-singer of the fictional musical group, "The Dreamers", who perform illegal concerts in Omikron. In addition, select tracks from his (then) upcoming 'hours...' album were written specifically for the game then rewritten for the actual album release. For instance, the intro song New Angels of Promise changed the chorus lyric Omikron to Suspicious Minds.

The game's soundtrack is a main feature as well, featuring songs by Bowie and Reeves Gabrels (most of which appeared on 'hours...' or as B-sides on the associated single for the song "Thursday's Child") in addition to the primary composition work by Xavier Despas. Most of Bowie's songs are then available (in-game only) for later listening either if the player opts to "buy" the recordings or simply walk into an apartment that already has some of the music laid out in plain view or in hidden compartments. Bowie's wife Iman also makes a cameo as one of the numerous Omikronian citizens the player can "reincarnate" into.[3]

So it sounds like a go to me, it does specifically say "written for the game".

You might have some competition if I choose to cover this too. >:]