ASK A JUDGE: While we're busy NOT voting - your questions, we want 'em

Liontamer

Is that how it is these days? If I were to work on an album (solo, mind you, of remixes) would I be able to make a "progress thread" in community or would that be a no-no? If I gave a rough guessed "final date" would that make it a yes-yes?

No. Community is not the place for that. Use the Works forum. You are only allowed to post a thread for a completed album of music (original or arrange), and only if you're a posted or TBP remixer. No progress threads.

Isn't workshop for wips limited to one song per thread? Am I thinking of the wrong subforum. It's gonna be a remix album intended for ocr. I made one in community for ff 1 and nobody told me that was wrong. Sorry just confused, thanks!

I was totally gonna listen and then saw this. Guess I don't qualify. Way to discriminate. ;_;

I'll rustle your stubby head

Edited by Brandon Strader

I submitted one song a week or 2 ago (November 10th) and I only got the automated message but no feed back since. (unless you guys are busy)
You kidding bub, I've subbed stuff in early August still not paneled.

Wow... that's... well then

I guess that just shows how much work the Judges have to do with the submissions.

Wow.

How helpful would it be for the length of the judge panel submission queue if all of the judges, for some reason, managed to have a whole week off of everything else, and had a whole week just to judge submissions? Just how much would theoretically get judged?

You kidding bub, I've subbed stuff in early August still not paneled.

dang.

alright never mind about me good peoples lol

It takes like 4-5 months to get on the panel. If you look at the time something is posted, it's like a year or more after being submitted.

indeed, but I thought they also do email rejections, or maybe like said before, they dont have time : / welps I will just stay patient

Edited by SonicThHedgog

How helpful would it be for the length of the judge panel submission queue if all of the judges, for some reason, managed to have a whole week off of everything else, and had a whole week just to judge submissions? Just how much would theoretically get judged?

A whole week off *everything* else? Hundreds of submissions.

My judging limit is about two hours a day - after that, my ears turn to mush. But if we all had the free time to get two hours of judging in per day, we would blow through the queue really fast, I would guess in a week or two. Every now and then, we have judge parties where we try to vote on a ton of stuff or go through the inbox and they're very productive.

You guys should get jobs like I got... 8 hours of brain-killing boredom, I take a netbook but sometimes I get so bored I just stare blankly at it with nothing on... it's insane. Wish I had something truly engaging to do while there. This is a brief glimpse into how and why I became insane... you know... for future reference.

You guys should get jobs like I got... 8 hours of brain-killing boredom, I take a netbook but sometimes I get so bored I just stare blankly at it with nothing on... it's insane. Wish I had something truly engaging to do while there. This is a brief glimpse into how and why I became insane... you know... for future reference.

good to know! ;-)

on slow days I can judges 1 or 2 at work. :-)

So, I had a remix bypass the panel and get accepted in April 2012, and I was curious about when it was going to come out. I could really use the million dollars it's going to make me.

Also - and this is a legitimate question and not intended to be snark - what is the process you guys go through that gives you such a huge backlog of remixes to post? To an outsider it might seem like step one would be: post remix on website, but I know there's more to it than that. Again, not trying to sound impatient; this is genuine curiosity about the work that goes into posting.

So, I had a remix bypass the panel and get accepted in April 2012, and I was curious about when it was going to come out. I could really use the million dollars it's going to make me.

Also - and this is a legitimate question and not intended to be snark - what is the process you guys go through that gives you such a huge backlog of remixes to post? To an outsider it might seem like step one would be: post remix on website, but I know there's more to it than that. Again, not trying to sound impatient; this is genuine curiosity about the work that goes into posting.

By and large it's chronological, but there are exceptions made with a small window of time variance (mixes 1-2 months apart) to facilitate variety. Specifically:

• When posting mixes from published albums, we like to pair them up with something NOT from an album
  • We try to avoid posting multiple mixes from the same game/artist back to back
  • Occasionally (we've cut back on this) we post "special event" mixes for holidays. game anniversaries, etc.

Other than that, we go chrono, we're gonna kick it in to overdrive to catch up in Q1 2013, and your mix should be posted this year.

So I've noticed there's a lot less mixes added to the TBJ list in the judging thread - only two for this month, and none last month! Have people been submitting THAT many less mixes? Or have you been moving less over? Just curious - I'd been wondering if albums have been keeping people too busy, or something. :-P

On a related but separate note, I noticed the list of judges here is different from the one here. Just thought I'd point that out, on the really, really unlikely chance you guys weren't aware. :-)

The TBJ list is smaller because we have been moving less over from the inbox lately. You can see what date in the inbox we are up to near the top of the post. Anything after that date may or may not be on the list. I'm hoping to get to that more once finals are over. (Hope with me, peeps).

The different list is due to who is active in judging (in the 'currently' thread) vs. who is on staff (the info/staff list). Not much else to that.

Oh, and Jooj-Cat.

I have a question regarding the melody rule for remixes. I'm working on an organ remix and I want to have two separate pieces, each with a different source tune, that are paired together, just like how it was done in the Baroque Era with organ pieces (like Bach's Toccata and Fugue in D Minor). While the two pieces technically would be separate under normal circumstances, would it be fine to have them under the same "Remix?"

Thanks. :)

I have a question regarding the melody rule for remixes. I'm working on an organ remix and I want to have two separate pieces, each with a different source tune, that are paired together, just like how it was done in the Baroque Era with organ pieces (like Bach's Toccata and Fugue in D Minor). While the two pieces technically would be separate under normal circumstances, would it be fine to have them under the same "Remix?"

Thanks. :)

2. Submissions incorporating more than one source are allowed, but are not given special consideration or leniency with regard to the submission standards.

Your submission will only be assigned to a single game in our database, regardless of how many games' music it contains.

Your submission must have a strong focus and direction. Medleys must sound like a single song, not multiple songs pasted together.

Keep the standards in mind, though we definitely take the context of any piece into consideration.