ASK A JUDGE: While we're busy NOT voting - your questions, we want 'em

Liontamer

I have a question about the submissions e-mail. If I want to change the download link to a submission, should I just send a response to my original mail?

I ask because I did that for a submission I sent on August 3rd last year ('A Waltz for a Kingdom' from Final Fantasy VI) but then the submission "disappeared" since I didn't get a rejection e-mail and it never appeared on the judges thread. Also, I recently sent a submission mail and immediately replied with the download link (because I didn't put in the original mail :banghead:), so I just want to be sure that the submissions are correctly received.

The submission page says "Contact a judge if you have waited more than three months for an evaluation."

Hey... hey guys... hey.... :-)

I think I count 6 of mine that are over 3 months waiting for eval :-D

So, I believe i have a couple of mixes sitting for like, 2 years or so, and never got posted... at this point i can't even remember when i've submitted them... or which ones they are... Can they be posted already? Like... now?

Also this pretty pretty please :'(

The submission page says "Contact a judge if you have waited more than three months for an evaluation."

Hey... hey guys... hey.... :-)

I think I count 6 of mine that are over 3 months waiting for eval :-D

I did contact a judge, my post is more about how the mail works with responses than the problem I had with the submission. Liontamer told me he'd look into that.

I think I count 6 of mine that are over 3 months waiting for eval

I have one that's about five months waiting for eval. Lots of people are waiting. Considering how many mixes you have to be posted, I don't think you need to worry about a lack of your material being represented on the site for a good, long time.

Sit back and relax, man. The judges be working as fast as they can.

Edit: I've changed the wiki to say something a bit more realistic and accurate:

"If the currently judging date is past when you submitted your arrangement, you have had no contact about it and do not see it on the judging queue, contact a judge about it."

So, I believe i have a couple of mixes sitting for like, 2 years or so, and never got posted... at this point i can't even remember when i've submitted them... or which ones they are... Can they be posted already? Like... now?

If its a fallthrough, best to contact Liontamer or OA about it (if you have not already done so). Any judge will actually do, though.

Edited by Level 99

Out of morbid curiosity:

Do you guys still do fallthroughs? I remember being told I used up all my fallthroughs... ten years ago. :lol:

Sure. Just not you! :lol:

No, if your sub is possibly lost in the shuffle, let us know, though the inbox now is pretty reliable as far as stuff delivering, so if the email delivered, we should have it.

this question seems like a fallthrough at this point XD

Like 'Singing Mountain' from Chrono Trigger or "Little Money Avenue" from Streets of Rage 2, if it's in the game data, it's valid to arrange.

However, I haven't seen any confirmation that this song is hidden in the game data based on the NSF and NSFe available, and (unlike FF2's unsued Dungeon theme) it hasn't been used in any subsequent game.

I'd put it down as ineligible unless some other information turns up.

i have two questions:

1. where do we go to listen to mixes that get voted on but dont pass? I can never seem to find the links to the submissions in the posts, only the source tunes. I suppose its probably a dumb question and i may be posting in the wrong place, but Im unable to figure it out

2. How does remixing a song with vocals work? for example, a song like "great mighty poo" from conkers bad fur day, it would be a pretty average sounding remix without the lyrics. how would a person go about it in a manner that can be submitted according to the rules?

i have two questions:

1. where do we go to listen to mixes that get voted on but dont pass? I can never seem to find the links to the submissions in the posts, only the source tunes. I suppose its probably a dumb question and i may be posting in the wrong place, but Im unable to figure it out

http://ocremix.org/forums/showthread.php?t=1175

2. How does remixing a song with vocals work? for example, a song like "great mighty poo" from conkers bad fur day, it would be a pretty average sounding remix without the lyrics. how would a person go about it in a manner that can be submitted according to the rules?

If someone doesn't want to use lyrics for a source tune with lyrics, some just play the vocal melody on an instrument instead of singing it. You also could change the vocal part entirely, or just arrange the instrumental parts of a source tune and disregard the vocals. As long as the end result sounds like a fully fleshed out piece of music, we're open-minded to whatever direction someone wants to take a source with lyrics.

What if I want to remix a game like Sonic Before the Sequel? It's a fan game, but it's a full, completely fleshed-out, well-made game with its own original soundtrack.

TL;DR

Undecided.

3. Acceptable Source Material

Games that are shareware, freeware, or personal projects may or may not be accepted at our discretion. We strongly recommend arranging music from commercial releases to avoid any problems.

For stuff like this, we cross that bridge when we get there and handle it on a case-by-case basis.

For something like Sonic Before the Sequel or a similar example like Streets of Rage Remake, the game certainly looks good, but the game itself is unauthorized. That might be a call djpretzel ultimately makes, with or without thoughts from the panel. Personally, I could live with it, but the soundtracks of unauthorized fan-games possibly fall outside our scope of acceptable games.

Well-made original games with some notability aren't legally nebulous. :lol: I'd rather keep my fingers crossed for more success stories like Capcom being forward-thinking and taking Street Fighter X Mega Man in-house.

• 2 weeks later...

i actually talked to djp about this. i think it was magfest but it could've been irc...

but yeah, he said wait til v6

they have to go in and manually add every album if that is to be up to date

also if they were to do that they'd have to update it to the most recent album so it would be right on the end and probably bumped off quickly enough.

I think it would be Impulse - FF1 - Pilotwings - MegaMan X, but yeah you make a fair point. I didn't know they had to add it manually. Sounds like work. Hopefully it's more streamlined for v6. :-P

(And hopefully we aren't hearing praises and seeing demos of v6 at MAGFest 12... that is to say, I hope it comes out this year. :-))