ASK A JUDGE: While we're busy NOT voting - your questions, we want 'em

Liontamer

so just to clarify, should we avoid using any variant of "OCReMix" when tagging our music on soundcloud even if its from remix compos? It would avoid confusion about whats ACTUALLY a remix and whats not. right?

Basically yeah, exactly for the reason you referenced :). It might be a good idea to link the competition in the description, though, for some context.

Basically yeah, exactly for the reason you referenced :). It might be a good idea to link the competition in the description, though, for some context.

thats usually what i do. i just tag it with other stuff like " vgm remix" and the name of the game. i just know an older song of mine was tagged with ocr and didnt know if i should remove it. thanks for the clarification :)

This one is directed at Liontamer. Did you get my PM about my FFVI song (the one that I asked to be rejected and then resubmitted)?

I don't want to be a bother but I think two panel updates have happened since I sent that PM so I'm not sure if the PM ever reached you.

I did. Will get that on panel (along with my vote) this weekend. :-) Looking forward to it.

Who is the best person to get in touch with if I want to recommend someone for workshop mod? Thanks.

PM me, Kristina.

Good day to you, almighty primarchs.

I was wondering what the OCR stance is on remixing original material from fan-made game mods. To be more specific, this. It's a mod of Commander Keen 6, but the levels, graphics and storyline are brand new, so it's basically a new game that uses the Commander Keen 6 game engine. It hasn't been "officially" published, though. It's just fan shareware.

The music is also completely original and has been composed by fans specifically for the game mod.

Would those tracks be eligible for remixing?

I was wondering what the OCR stance is on remixing original material from fan-made game mods. To be more specific, this. It's a mod of Commander Keen 6, but the levels, graphics and storyline are brand new, so it's basically a new game that uses the Commander Keen 6 game engine. It hasn't been "officially" published, though. It's just fan shareware.

The music is also completely original and has been composed by fans specifically for the game mod.

sorry, no; official releases only.

Honestly, it's not something I've encountered before, at least to my knowledge; maybe it has been by the site pre-2004, but so far the answer would be no. I can't speak for djpretzel, and it's something he may want to clarify.

In this case, it's an unofficial Commander Keen game made from the CK6 engine. Unofficial games using copyrighted characters complicates the issue as to what are viable games to arrange. So far we've kept source games limited to commercial or otherwise notable games where the legality of its release is clear.

As cool as a game like this is, offhand I don't see allowing ReMixes of original music from even high-quality unofficial games like this, or some of the Sonic fan games, or Streets of Rage Remake. I believe I'm getting at what djp's rationale, but I could be wrong, and he would articulate his feelings here better than I could.

For my artist profile pic, does it have to be somewhat related to music? Don't really have many pictures of myself so I was just gonna grabs random one off facebook..

Edit: also thanks a bunch for grabbing all my information like y'all did. I don't even remembering giving that stuff to y'all lol.

Edited by urdailywater

For my artist profile pic, does it have to be somewhat related to music? Don't really have many pictures of myself so I was just gonna grabs random one off facebook..

Edit: also thanks a bunch for grabbing all my information like y'all did. I don't even remembering giving that stuff to y'all lol.

I try and keep all the artist links as up to date as I can. :-)

Whatever pic you'd like to use doesn't have to be related to music, it just has to contain your face. Feel free to PM me with it and we'll add it soon!

• 2 weeks later...