ASK A JUDGE: While we're busy NOT voting - your questions, we want 'em

Liontamer

So I tried searching this thread but couldn't find it. How does OCR feel about an ai no uta remix? That Japanese pikmin song. I've only played the English version of 1, and never played 2 or 3 or the Japanese version of 1, but would it's appearance in Brawl be sufficient enough for remixing? I've always recognized it as a Pikmin song, but since I'm not the hugest Pikmin fan I don't know if it would be considered part of the soundtrack.

The song was composed FOR the game but not used IN the game, but it was used in ANOTHER game.

To clarify about its use: as I understand it, the song was written for television commercials for the game. Original advertising songs like this are pretty common in Japan for video games and other media.

To clarify about its use: as I understand it, the song was written for television commercials for the game. Original advertising songs like this are pretty common in Japan for video games and other media.

Right, it was written as an image song, which you generally see in multimedia properties in Japan (character singles for manga, anime, toku, etc).

It's an interesting case. The song was composed FOR the game but not used IN the game, but it was used in ANOTHER game. My personal feeling would be that it's fine. I wonder what other joojes think.
I think it is fine; would just be interesting to see how it'd be tagged. I'd assume it'd be tagged as a smash bros mix.

that was in the trailer but not the game.

^ I posted that cause I don't think it's applicable but the conversation was leading in a way where I thought we'd get an answer on stuff like that

A second thing, I submitted Liquid Metal 2: Even Wetter on September 14th and I said if you couldn't put the colon in the name, to put a dash instead... well I came up with a better idea earlier in the shower, so I'd like to (please) formally change the name of that sub to "Liquid Metal 2 Colon Even Wetter"

Edited by Brandon Strader

If you are a project director and are submitting songs to the panel on behalf of remixers on your project with permission (which as far as I know from talking to Larry is something that is allowed), does the three week grace period still apply or can you submit multiple remixes from the project (in separate emails of course) at one time?

• 2 weeks later...

I saw something today that got me thinking...

What would you do for a mixpost for a game with an extremely long/weird title? I found this a few minutes ago. It was published for the Ouya console, but you can also play it online. The title? Here's the GameFAQs page: http://www.gamefaqs.com/ouya/721175-bababadalgharaghtakamminarronnkonnbronntonnerronn

A title like that would surely break the site....rofl

I saw something today that got me thinking...

What would you do for a mixpost for a game with an extremely long/weird title? I found this a few minutes ago. It was published for the Ouya console, but you can also play it online. The title? Here's the GameFAQs page: http://www.gamefaqs.com/ouya/721175-bababadalgharaghtakamminarronnkonnbronntonnerronn

A title like that would surely break the site....rofl

Only one way to find out.

*recruiting for a Bababadalgharaghtakamminarronnkonnbronntonnerronn tuonnthunntrovarrhounawnskawntoohoohoordenenthurnuk remix album*

Turning this into the "Thank" instead of "Ask" thread for one post, THANKS for posting Killer Studio Chops and linking it to Tim Follin on his brand new twitter! That was awesome! I don't know if him joining twitter inspired it or you just happened to come across him on twitter in the process but either way, that was sweet. I am glad he liked it :-)

• 2 weeks later...
Just wondering because of the length of time, would you allow a remixer to swap out a very old submitted song, and replace it with a different song they could sub in its place, and just drop the old song. You know why I'm asking :lol:

I think this got covered in one of the OCR Talkback episodes. The short answer is no, if the song has already been posted. If it hasn't yet been posted, I'm not sure--I think we've had retractions before, but I can't remember how that went. I'll let someone else give a longer answer if they really feel like it.

Just wondering because of the length of time, would you allow a remixer to swap out a very old submitted song, and replace it with a different song they could sub in its place, and just drop the old song. You know why I'm asking :lol:

Flex, he's talking about swapping a song in the inbox. I'll allow a one-time instance, sure. Submit it, Brandon, make note of the issue and I'll check it out.

Flex, he's talking about swapping a song in the inbox. I'll allow a one-time instance, sure. Submit it, Brandon, make note of the issue and I'll check it out.

Ah, sweet. Thank you. Honestly, the song there might have a chance, but it's a joke song that I subbed during a music drought in spring. I'm finishing one up and I'll shoot that in when it's done, but if for giggles you wanted to peek at the other one when I send in the email to replace it, and say that it definitely did not have a chance, that would be awesome. Thank you! :-)

Edited by Brandon Strader

Hey Larry, just letting you know that I sent in the email! The subject line is "Replacement + announcement"

If there's more information needed or I forgot to share, let me know, and I'll be glad to. And thank you for the opportunity to do this. :-) The other mix might have been fine staying in, but honestly, it is so small that you could make a snap judgement on it. If you think I should toss it and it shouldn't be judged I'm cool with that.