ASK A JUDGE: While we're busy NOT voting - your questions, we want 'em

Liontamer

I have an iPad that I got for Xmas this past year, and there is a game for it called "Clumsy Ninja", where one of the source tunes has different variations every time you play. For example, I recorded one of the sources from my iPad ( https://app.box.com/s/cms3aoijlgbewryguzhi )

However, I recently found a video of gameplay on YouTube with largely the same variation that one has, however there is a "guitar solo" which is not present in my recording, and is slightly different (

)

How do you guys judge sources that have variations like this?

Well, we don't judge sources, we judge remixes.

If the sources are basically the same, they're basically the same. We'll compare the remix to the source that the artist indicates.

If a remix sounds super-liberal or is doing stuff that isn't present in the source they provide for us, we might do some further investigation and check other tracks in the game to see if that material is used.

They use gmail, so I think the messages are compounded into one string of messages. Should be fine if you sent it within the same month (one time I reworded a remix writeup 6 months later and it got delayed from judging until Kristina and I clarified it was sent way back when :-P).

Edited by timaeus222

They use gmail, so I think the messages are compounded into one string of messages. Should be fine if you sent it within the same month (one time I reworded a remix writeup 6 months later and it got delayed from judging until Kristina and I clarified it was sent way back when :-P).

Yeah, I know, as I talked a lot with Larry for another mix :lol: Just wanted to tell them.

• 2 weeks later...
Just curious, why don't the albums we've directed that are listed next to our real names link to anything anymore? Also why aren't the titles italicized anymore either? I liked how that looked haha

Did that all get changed because Deia's title was too long? :P

An eventual forum migration to Invision (IPB) doesn't support HTML or titles with more than 64 characters (including code), so plain text it is for everyone. We've saved the old titles (just in case), but I don't believe they're workable in IPB.

Wait you mean

V6 is actually happening?!?

It was never not happening, it was simply deferred as we:

1. Dealt with life & continued site operations, and more specifically...
  2. Weighed our options with regards to the future of vBulletin and any alternatives

Yes, we are slow & deliberate, but we've also been around for 14 years, with almost zero downtime, putting out some great music. Rather than doing radical overhauls or site resets on a regular basis, we've been pragmatic, and that pragmatism has contributed to stability & our ability to do a lot of other cool stuff, so I'm not crying.

This year though, this year...

So, with the eventual move to IPB, will the move be to IPB 3.X or IPB 4.0 which is supposedly coming out in Q2 this year?

All this resting on the fact that OCR is actually moving to v6, which may never happen within the next three years but could also happen quickly and suddenly. We could log onto OCR next Wednesday and find ourselves staring at a bright purple HOLO-themed OCR forum page. Who knows.

I HOPE... that rather than wait for "new versions" for months and months on end... that they release v6 and don't worry so much about keeping up to date on everything unless there's some super severe security issue. If you try to keep up to date with changing software all the time, you end up working on it -constantly- and running your bank dry. :cry:

The fact that stuff is changing like "personal titles" is awesome cause it makes it look like we might be getting V6 sooner than later :-D And I've literally been waiting PATIENTLY (and sometimes not so patiently!) for that, for years! My big hope is that it leads to a lot of cool new features and makes stuff we're used to even better. And I hope that when djp finally lays down the final bit of markup, the clouds open and a ray of light lands on his head, and he hears a choir of angels and knows that he accomplished something amazing, and V6 will be blessed by God for years and years to come.

Edited by Brandon Strader

So, with the eventual move to IPB, will the move be to IPB 3.X or IPB 4.0 which is supposedly coming out in Q2 this year?

Exactly. We're not sure about this yet. Hopefully IPS4/IPB4.

At any rate, it's far more important that we make the RIGHT enhancements to the site... ultimately "V6" - and any version number - is just a milestone for a certain set of functionality & corresponding GUI changes. Nothing's broken right now, just a bit dated. It's extremely hard to work on improvements while continuing to maintain an active site, I can tell you that much. Patience is appreciated.

I HOPE... that rather than wait for "new versions" for months and months on end... that they release v6 and don't worry so much about keeping up to date on everything unless there's some super severe security issue. If you try to keep up to date with changing software all the time, you end up working on it -constantly- and running your bank dry. :cry:

The fact that stuff is changing like "personal titles" is awesome cause it makes it look like we might be getting V6 sooner than later :-D And I've literally been waiting PATIENTLY (and sometimes not so patiently!) for that, for years! My big hope is that it leads to a lot of cool new features and makes stuff we're used to even better. And I hope that when djp finally lays down the final bit of markup, the clouds open and a ray of light lands on his head, and he hears a choir of angels and knows that he accomplished something amazing, and V6 will be blessed by God for years and years to come.

Or, you know, the heavens tear apart and God's spirit descends into djp (who won't die a premature death).

Mark reference :nicework:

So in terms of music in games that is arrangements of songs from earlier in the series, like Irate Eight in Donkey Kong Country Tropical Freeze uses an arrangement of Lockjaw's Saga... Would a remix of that version with the new parts count as an arrangement from DKCTF or DKC2 because it's still Lockjaw's Saga in essence?

• 2 weeks later...

If I get a second small monitor and hook it up with the onboard graphic card's HDMI instead of my main graphics card (GTX670) would there be a conflict that causes BSODs because I am using 2 different graphic cards? OR is that a normal thing that people do?

Or could I do that with a laptop? I'm not sure if laptops can be used as a second monitor...

Edited by Brandon Strader

• 4 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...

I have two questions :).

The first one is if songs with TV Samples in them are eligible for being posted on oc remix? This I wanted to double-check for the Shonen album.

The second one's s bit off topic, but I figure the judge would know this. I've been here for over a year, and still am not sure what post count is for xD. Specifically the 'Eggplant Wizard' lol. Is there a purpose for that??

The first one is if songs with TV Samples in them are eligible for being posted on oc remix? This I wanted to double-check for the Shonen album.

We'd have to hear the piece(s) in context, but as long as it's not gratuitous usage, it's probably fine.

The second one's s bit off topic, but I figure the judge would know this. I've been here for over a year, and still am not sure what post count is for xD. Specifically the 'Eggplant Wizard' lol. Is there a purpose for that??

Would you believe... for fun?

http://www.creativeuncut.com/gallery-20/kiu-eggplant-wizard.html

We'd have to hear the piece(s) in context, but as long as it's not gratuitous usage, it's probably fine.

Alright thanks for answering that :). It hasn't been gratuitous so far, but I've had the question come up twice. So I now I know what answer to give :D.

xD. Yes! That's actually why I ended up asking lol. My friends and I were having good fun with that :)!