ASK A JUDGE: While we're busy NOT voting - your questions, we want 'em

Liontamer

Would be nice indeed! Now that a few tracks of mine passed the panel, and having thoroughly read the evals, I think I have a decent sense of how the individual judges do their thing, and also what things they will typically point out. I could list my findings here, but it would be better to hear it from the folks themselves :)

Oh, and compliments on the excellent clickbait title ;)

Not a judge anymore but when I was a disgusting monster known as a jooj, if I felt if the track had potential, I'd add the resub tag. Its for those mixes that have potential to be mixposts but in their current form don't quite make the cut. Its not like Conditional where we're talking like 1 small update required, it might need a bit of fixing, but not enough where it would need a complete overhaul to be posted. The idea is that if you send a resub track to a judge, they will fast track it on the queue for you. 

However if something is really quite far from the standards and would require big updates to be postable we'd just slap it with a big phat nope.

• 6 months later...
  • 2 months later...

FinalRideError.png.78e4f62485a45fcd415ff3d3f2a892b2.png

One of my regular listeners to SEGA Mixer Drive spotted this error on the VROOM Wiki page last week - no mention of Last Wave as a main source, and as a result Magical Sound Shower got listed twice.  I believe I tried to ping about it in the Discord, but I'm not quite too sure if the message got through.  Just a heads up D:

2 hours ago, Rexy said:

FinalRideError.png.78e4f62485a45fcd415ff3d3f2a892b2.pngOne of my regular listeners to SEGA Mixer Drive spotted this error on the VROOM Wiki page last week - no mention of Last Wave as a main source, and as a result Magical Sound Shower got listed twice.  I believe I tried to ping about it in the Discord, but I'm not quite too sure if the message got through.  Just a heads up D:

AFAIK, message wasn’t sent to me or I would have gotten it. Gotted.

• 2 weeks later...
52 minutes ago, Chernabogue said:

Are you guys considering postings remixes from dead projects (i.e. projects that haven't been picked up or updated for months/years)? Or are you looking to revive those at some point?

I reached out to them J's a few times, saying "this project is dead, please post it according to the regular schedule". Whether or not a project is actually dead is not always easy to determine though, so YMMV.

1 hour ago, Chernabogue said:

Are you guys considering postings remixes from dead projects (i.e. projects that haven't been picked up or updated for months/years)? Or are you looking to revive those at some point?

14 minutes ago, Jorito said:

I reached out to them J's a few times, saying "this project is dead, please post it according to the regular schedule". Whether or not a project is actually dead is not always easy to determine though, so YMMV.

Yeah, just let me know in a DM what you have a question about, and we'll investigate it.

• 1 month later...
3 hours ago, Draconiator said:

Would something like this be okay for the site?  I was wondering how one would remix the DK Rap song...and none other than Brentalfloss came up with the answer.  Still wanted to know what joojes thought.  I'm sorta on the fence about it myself.

I don't have my headphones on me at the moment, so I'm not able to size up the differences in the instrumental vs. the source tune, and I'm not hearing the production quality (it's likely solid; trust but verify). That said, there's nothing inherently wrong with this arrangement approach; it keeps the source tune's melody and does something different with the lyrics; it would just be a matter of the instrumental parts standing apart enough from the original. The lyrics being comedic and risque aren't relevant. Other than all that, maybe you can clarify what's making you question it being something that would be "okay" for OCR's standards.

• 4 months later...
On 12/13/2018 at 8:25 AM, Mordi said:

I've usually been checking this thread for info on submissions currently in the judging process, but it seems they've stopped updating it. Is there some place I don't know about where this can be checked?

9 hours ago, evktalo said:

I have the utmost appreciation for updating the queue thread. hmmhowtomakethisaquestion ... Were you aware of that? :-D

Don't update it! Let their curiosity fester make them go crazy, as it has already done to me!!

• 4 weeks later...
On 12/13/2018 at 8:25 AM, Mordi said:

I've usually been checking this thread for info on submissions currently in the judging process, but it seems they've stopped updating it. Is there some place I don't know about where this can be checked?

It used to be that it took a year to get a decision, now it takes 7 months just to update the thread.

• 3 weeks later...
On 1/10/2019 at 10:02 PM, sambarugh said:

It used to be that it took a year to get a decision, now it takes 7 months just to update the thread.

Indeed! We work in reverse. :-) (Working on this.)

On 1/26/2019 at 10:20 AM, HoboKa said:

Any jooj's receive the collab lyrics for "Soulblazer - I'm the Soulblazer"??  Sent an email a couple days back. 

I gotted ‘em. [sic]

On 1/28/2019 at 10:19 AM, Liontamer said:

In this context, my bad grammar , "gotted," was intentional. :-)
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sic

Ah. 

EDIT)

Tried avoiding double posting, so hopefully this edit takes.  I um...couldn't perfectly emulate the mix from the MP3 to the WAV due to various issues (like a missing mixer etc).  Also, I kinda spammed Liontamer with a bevy of WAVs, but the last one I sent is probably the closest to being faithful to the MP3.  If it needs work, please advise.  Thanks!

Edited by HoboKa

• 2 months later...

Hi everyone. I'm a newb here, but hopefully that won't detract too much from an idea as to how to potentially improve the speed of track judgment/posting without sacrificing quality. I searched for a thread that was about this topic, but only saw it addressed as a sort of sub-topic in this thread. Hopefully not beating a dead horse here.

Anyway, I have an idea that may be useful for both the community and especially the judges, who seem to have a rather large workload to deal with. Considering how much they type out for each review, and how much time it takes for me to even compose a post like this one, it's not a task I envy. Given that the purpose of the judging system is primarily to set a minimum bar of quality, I feel like a large part of this task could be distributed to a larger part of the community. My idea is a two-stage approach, with the initial stage being something along these lines:

• Create a user category of "sub-judges" (or whatever title would work) comprised of volunteers whose basic judging credentials are based on having some number (1-4?) of already accepted remixes.
  • Create a standard judging form that resembles the checklist from this forum to reduce the level of time commitment from sub-judges (with space for freeform commentary at the end). The aggregate of the forms can show a succinct basis of the reasons for the ultimate binary result of yes or no

The results of these sub-judgments could be used as either a simple reference for the actual judges, or could be used to automatically reject remixes where the ratio of "yes" votes falls below a certain percentage (say, 20-30% or so?) with a minimum of number of sub-judgment submissions (I dunno, 10? 20?). Hopefully the end result of a system like this would be to reduce the workload of the judges while keeping things fair and transparent.

I know this isn't a perfect solution by any means, and would create some extra work for the site designers/admin to create this little system, but hopefully not too much.

Thoughts? :|

Yeah the workshop is supposed to fill that role.  The recruiting process for workshop mods is even the same as those for judges so they are effectively another layer. Not every artist knows or uses the workshop though, so a lot of subs don't go through that.  One thing to consider is, burnout/real life happens to the guys in charge of that too so it can get clogged as well.  It all boils down to: it's a hard, volunteer, pay-less and sometimes thankless job, and having a large judge panel doesn't exactly help either, only having motivated people does, but motivation is hard to mantain for years and years (I have so much respect for Larry for that).

Not an easy problem to solve, if we want to mantain quality.

Edited by Sir_NutS