ASK A JUDGE: While we're busy NOT voting - your questions, we want 'em

Liontamer

Thanks for the clarifications, guys!
I read the "What is evaluation and when do I use it?" thread, but didn't get the notion that it had any effect on the actual judging process, time-wise or qualitative. I was also thrown off a bit by the "When you're ready to submit a remix to OC ReMix, but you're not sure if the remix fits the site's submission standards" qualifier. That made me think I was better off skipping the workshop arena, since I was confident in the quality of my work. Not trying to sound cocky or anything :oops:, it's just that I've recorded/mixed bands on a semi-professional basis for several years at this point and feel comfortable with that take. I guess I interpreted the purpose of the workshop to be more about soliciting help/feedback from the community at large.

Anyway, with that in mind, I suppose I'll hit up the workshop with the track I recently submitted. I definitely appreciate the level of work you guys put into that process, and to reiterate, I don't envy you for that. I hope you all can find a way to lighten that load, and apologies in advance for adding to it! :P

The Workshop doesn't have a direct effect in the judging process in the sense that, we don't go look at the workshop thread and feedback for every single mix (I do it for some though).  But it does serve as an indirect help in the sense that every track that doesn't meet the bar and reaches the queue adds more time and work to the panel and thus slows the queue down.  When a track is approved by a workshop moderator, which again, go through the same interviews, tests etc. as judges, it has a very high chance of making it through the panel and makes evaluation quicker and easier.  It also saves time and headaches for the artists, as submitting a song, waiting X months only to get it rejected is not ideal, most artists would've moved on from that track already into new things, or even evolved beyond what they showed on that track and probably wouldn't be that keen on going back to it.  The workshop feedback is supposed to be more immediate to help you fix issues in a much shorter timeframe, but again, that's not always working as intended because the workshop staff can get burnout or life gets in the way and that queue gets clogged too.

Anyways, it doesn't hurt to show off your track in the workshop or even join the workshop discord channel and ask for a listen there, possibly get some feedback and have a better chance at making it past the bar, especially if you're new to creating music or don't have a posted remix yet.  Even though I should have a good idea of where the bar is, I always try to get a friend to listen to it and tell me if it's good enough or check for issues.

• 2 years later...

Hi Judges :)

This site has been around for quite some time. Judges / other staff have probably come and gone while going through all kinds of stages of life since. My question is: how "healthy" is the current "administration". Are you guys still managing? Is judging and maintaining the site still do-able? Are you guys still happy?

That there's still new remixes coming out is probably a good sign. :) Are there any particular needs right now for the site and to keep the judging process running smoothly?

Thanks to everyone who's involved for their contribution!

• 1 month later...
  • 2 months later...

Good to hear :) (Sorry for the late reply)

Can we get an update on the "Currently in the Judging Process" post? The last update is from a while ago now.

Also: I have to say, it is a bit painful that the judging process can be so slow. I understand that this is all on a voluntary basis and that there's lots of entries to work through. Nevertheless, I think I've been waiting for almost a year now to get my submission judged and at this point it will probably be extra painful to have it rejected. Since it has been so long, going back to it to work out potential issues raised in feedback will be tricky. And wouldn't want to have to wait another year after re-submission.

Side question: is the "meet the judges" post currently up to date?

6 hours ago, BloomingLate said:

Good to hear :) (Sorry for the late reply)

Can we get an update on the "Currently in the Judging Process" post? The last update is from a while ago now.

Also: I have to say, it is a bit painful that the judging process can be so slow. I understand that this is all on a voluntary basis and that there's lots of entries to work through. Nevertheless, I think I've been waiting for almost a year now to get my submission judged and at this point it will probably be extra painful to have it rejected. Since it has been so long, going back to it to work out potential issues raised in feedback will be tricky. And wouldn't want to have to wait another year after re-submission.

Side question: is the "meet the judges" post currently up to date?

A rejection's not meant to be painful, but sorry for the wait; it always too long, and something we're actively working on. I've moved your particular submission out to Judges Decisions; if/when you resubmit it, all resubmissions do go back on the queue as soon as we see them. I always appreciate any nudges for updating the judging process thread too.

I wasn't aware of a Meet the Judges post, but if we have one, I'd be happy to ask current judges to add their thoughts into it.

19 hours ago, Liontamer said:

A rejection's not meant to be painful, but sorry for the wait; it always too long, and something we're actively working on. I've moved your particular submission out to Judges Decisions; if/when you resubmit it, all resubmissions do go back on the queue as soon as we see them. I always appreciate any nudges for updating the judging process thread too.

I wasn't aware of a Meet the Judges post, but if we have one, I'd be happy to ask current judges to add their thoughts into it.

Thanks for the update!

It looks like my submission got rejected indeed, but I'm not taking it as hard as I expected I would. The feedback is very respectful and thorough. I actually feel motivated to go back to the track and improve it. So thanks guys! :)

It looks like I was thinking of Evaluators rather than Judges, but perhaps the Evaluators list can use an update as well. :) It is in this thread: https://ocremix.org/community/topic/42695-what-is-evaluation-and-when-do-i-use-it/ . Anyway, maybe a Meet the Judges post can be nice to have too. I'll leave it up to you guys.