Liontamer

ASK A JUDGE: While we're busy NOT voting - your questions, we want 'em

1) I thought we already did agree to start notifying people when their song was passed. I'm not sure if we're actually doing it now or not. But then again, a sub is never a sure-thing until it's actually on the front page. And not to sound unconcerned or anything, but if someone submits a song to OCR and then just never ever checks back, then ya know, that's just kind of weird.

I understand what you're coming from, and I'm happy to hear that the option has been discussed. Just as a small counter-point to the subject of a submitter not checking back: besides taking other possible situations into account (such as loss of internet, firewall-blocking like some universities do [i believe LuketheXJesse's school blocks the site], or any other reason why a person may not have the ability to check the site), considering the generally longer period of time it takes to go from sub to passing to posting, it may be that some individuals don't frequent the site to check up that often. There are some mixers who do not frequent the forums enough to keep checking the site and frontpage, and if someone is not that involved in the site besides submitting, I can't see how someone would feel the urge to check for their own posting more than once a month if the variable time can be anywhere from a couple months to a year or more, not counting project mixes subbed to the regular judge's panel. If someone's deeply involved in the community, they can check the frontpage more often. But, again, I see it more as a courtesy than as compensating for other situations, though bringing those few into account may add more substance to the desire to implement the process. I think Palpable summed it up nicely, too.

I've mentioned this before to Dave and Larry, but I wasn't aware that either of my first two mixes on this site were posted until months after the fact. I never heard back and I assumed they had been rejected. So I'm behind the idea of more contact with the remixer.

In my opinion and in my experience, more communication is never a bad thing unless you're overwhelming people with info. :-o

In the case of SoS, Larry had me nominate a bunch of tracks to be paneled (not all of which have gone through yet, unfortunately), and then had the ones that passed and were Direct Post material posted on and after the release date. There is no limit on how many tracks from a project can be posted, as far as I know. Basically it's however many the director chooses, how many pass the panel, and how many are chosen for Direct Post.

Alright, great to know.

I always read the entire submission letters. It makes it especially hard voting 'no' on a track that has a really touching story behind it. :-(

"Dear judges,

This MIDI-rip is dedicated to my dead girlfriend's homeless daughter. Plz accept."

:P

If there's one remix that I will vote YES on EVERY SINGLE TIME, it would have to be ICE CAP.

I don't even listen to them half the time. I just look and see that it's an Ice Cap remix, and I just YES it with complete confidence.

Hmm...

...hehehe...

I don't know if this has been answered yet or not, though my forum search didn't find anything for it, but is there a particular reason that there are no remixer names on the judge's queue list? I know the post is supposed to be information for people who have submitted mixes or are tracking a mix, so I was curious as to the reason why names aren't listed while the sub date, game name, and song title is listed.

I don't know if this has been answered yet or not, though my forum search didn't find anything for it, but is there a particular reason that there are no remixer names on the judge's queue list? I know the post is supposed to be information for people who have submitted mixes or are tracking a mix, so I was curious as to the reason why names aren't listed while the sub date, game name, and song title is listed.

I would imagine for the same reason they don't list the URL for rejected tracks. Theoretically, you should know which mix is yours and, while cool to show off that you got a mix approved waaay before it's posted, if you happen to be one of the ones rejected, that could be potentially embarrassing. Naturally, I don't know the exact reason, but, if I were responsible for it, that would be my reasoning. Judges?

But... your rejection thread gets sent to a public forum anyway, so you can see not only the name of everyone that's getting rejected, but everything about their submission, so that can't be the reason...

Perhaps it's to make it a bigger surprise when a queued mix gets posted? I dunno, I'd like to see remixer names attached to the posted/queued tracks, though.

Honestly, it's just a matter of convenience for us. When we update that thread, we just copy the thread titles (minus some judge-only information), and the thread title is sometimes long enough that we would have to leave out the remixer name, so we don't include it on our end. Simply put, it's just one more thing that would delay judging, and I don't think much is gained from doing it. It also adds even more information to the already bloated Currently... thread.

OA has been updating that thread lately, so if he wants to do it, that's cool with me.

I agree that it doesn't really add a ton of information to the thread, as the NO's get the thread posted anyways.

However, I do think that having a more standard "currently.." thread update schedule would be nice. I'll be doing it Wednesdays at noon from here on out. That way people will know the day that it's updated, so they don't have to keep randomly checking it and seeing no updates. They can check on Wednesday and see what's new.

I just updated it, so it's a day early this week, but it'll stick to the schedule from here on out. :-D