Liontamer

ASK A JUDGE: While we're busy NOT voting - your questions, we want 'em

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OJj4l959i0k Has a skip at 0:00

10101a3f5596b6fe157ec413d6159d90.jpg

:lol::tomatoface: added emoticons so you can tell i wasn't trying to sound harsh

Don't see what the :lol: deal is. YouTube's glitched our videos before during an upload. We'll just have to replace it.

this might be a dumb question, ok two dumb questions:

1. whats the difference between projects and the recruitment thread? is one official and one not?

2. do you have to be posted to join an official project? or just workshop the hell out of a mix until its up to proper quality?

1. Yes, one's official and one's not. Projects are efforts that are already approved as upcoming OCR album projects. Anything that's not at that status yet can develop in the Recruitment thread.

a. No. Confirmed by looking at many project rosters and seeing that not everyone's a posted OC ReMixer.

b. Yes. Make a strong track.

Don't see what the :lol: deal is. YouTube's glitched our videos before during an upload. We'll just have to replace it.

Eh was just trying to make it sound not harsh, I certainly wasn't laughing at you or about what happened or anything. Someone said I come across intense a lot of the time, or people can't tell I'm not being super serious, so I should use more emoticons. It's a work in progress. :sleepzzz:

Thanks! I'll be less silly if I need to report something like that in the future.

EDIT: I can't find the project resources, concerning proper file naming and all that... There should really be a thread in Projects or something with that information..

Edit: Judge process thread update? :-D

Edited by Brandon Strader

Hey y'all I was asking about my lost in time resubmit a while back. I think I sent it too close to another sub but maybe it just didn't come through? Should I resend it or wait a little more?

just wanting to make sure its ok since its a collab this time.

Is it true that emailed resubs can be considered for dp?

Yes, just like any submission in the inbox.

Yes, just like any submission in the inbox.

If they're not emailed though, and instead sent to a judge, can they also be considered for dp? Or does going straight to panel make that impossible?

----

Congratulations on the recent Kickstarter news! This raises a good question, what are the chances of V6 launching at the same time? Or at least soon? :-D

If they're not emailed though, and instead sent to a judge, can they also be considered for dp? Or does going straight to panel make that impossible?

If something's just private messaged, it has to be added to the panel. If it's emailed, it could bypass the panel.

Congratulations on the recent Kickstarter news! This raises a good question, what are the chances of V6 launching at the same time? Or at least soon? :-D

He's continuing to work on it. It depends on what djp wants to do, but there's no simultaneous reveal planned.

This one is pretty interesting. I might remix

in the future (The
has more distinct background notes).

The first 4 seconds sound like the Zorro theme at about 0:15

. Is it acceptable to have a section in the remix that is either purposefully or accidentally written in a way that sounds like the Zorro theme? :D What if the instruments are different from the orchestral combination in the Zorro theme? For example, a Duduk instead of a violin/viola section, but the brass section and cello/double bass section are still as they are. Edited by timaeus222

This one is pretty interesting. I might remix
in the future (The
has more distinct background notes).

The first 4 seconds sound like the Zorro theme at about 0:15

. Is it acceptable to have a section in the remix that is either purposefully or accidentally written in a way that sounds like the Zorro theme? :D What if the instruments are different from the orchestral combination in the Zorro theme? For example, a Duduk instead of a violin/viola section, but the brass section and cello/double bass section are still as they are.

It's just 4 notes; that's not enough to describe that whole MMZ theme as taken from Zorro. Don't worry about it.

I know you guys are working on releasing FF6 and are super busy but I'm just wondering, I saw the latest judge process update, and it seems like it's been on December 28th for a while. Have you been adding stuff to the panel that just hasn't been listed yet or is it still on December 28th? :-o

they actually can't handle the fact that that Shinesparks track is still sitting under "conditional on production" after 5 long years

seriously, is that just gonna sit there forever?

I know you guys are working on releasing FF6 and are super busy but I'm just wondering, I saw the latest judge process update, and it seems like it's been on December 28th for a while. Have you been adding stuff to the panel that just hasn't been listed yet or is it still on December 28th? :-o
I think the queue has finally ground the judges down.

Not just the queue; real life as well. But it's boiling down to 1) more submissions than ever, 2) a higher percentage of submissions being too good to reject with the form letter, 3) less availability and enthusiasm from staff, and 4) a need for new judges. We're actually ahead of the usual pace of posting mixes, but we're also passing a higher percentage; we may have come to a point where the overall community has gotten better than where the bar currently is, but we're not going to raise that bar because this is a hobbyist community and we can't have it unreasonably high.

After the FF6 album release & Kickstarter fulfillment is done, we'll be addressing this, but it boils down to rejecting more submissions without paneling them (raising the bar on the form letter rejection), letting inactive judges go & whip-cracking the staff, and testing some new candidates to bring in some new blood. In about a month, I'll have more free time to address the inbox side of it, but I'll chip away until then.

they actually can't handle the fact that that Shinesparks track is still sitting under "conditional on production" after 5 long years

If the artist doesn't do anything, possibly. :lol: He's known about the issue for a while, but his source files are pretty far away. We're nice people, and we'd hate to reject the track, but fixing it likely won't happen. I'll remind him one last time to send something or we've gotta ice it, but it looks like it wasn't meant to be.

When it was submitted it was most likely above the bar, but time moves fast or so they say, so they might have to axe it anyway, unless of course he submits a new one with upgraded sounds :)

When it was submitted it was most likely above the bar, but time moves fast or so they say, so they might have to axe it anyway, unless of course he submits a new one with upgraded sounds :)

No, it's not a matter of the bar moving up there. If something passes years ago but is held off (which generally happens for project mixes submitted early in an album's development), it isn't re-evaluated in any way when it's time to post it.

In the case of "Shinesparks," it was conditionally accepted on improving the production (addressing the pervasive distortion), which was never above the bar. Nowadays though, we'd just reject it on account of the production being jacked up and ask for a resub rather than give conditional YES's (to avoid situations like this). Why wait so long? Aside from periodic asks/check-ins, we're pretty relaxed. So I'm checking in one last time with the artist to see if we can anticipate any touch-ups, or we'll just reject it since the conditions for the conditional YES's haven't been satisfied.

Thanks for the explanation. Hopefully you can figure something out. The panel seems constipated these days.

Nothing we haven't solved before. Prepare for a colon-cleansing bowel movement of music!

Nothing we haven't solved before. Prepare for a colon-cleansing bowel movement of music!

So... we should expect shitty music? :P

Depending on who you ask, that's all you guys do. :-)

Yeah. It's all techno anyway.

Could you add one more day to the panel? I subbed my mix on December 30. :P