ASK A JUDGE: While we're busy NOT voting - your questions, we want 'em

Liontamer

Yeah, in the OC Remix x RPGFan Music interview, there's a part where Darkesword goes into talking about how there's a lot of great technological assets for growth and promotion that OCR hasn't quite warmed up to yet, and that's kind of where I was going.

Mehhh, "better safe than sorry," yes, but there's plenty of better ways than promoting by, say, word of mouth. Though I still occasionally run into gamers or vgm fans in real life who've never heard of the site (but have probably stumbled upon a remix), and when I mention OCR they look at me like "uhhhh, no thanks; not interested in moving to Orange County."

-------------

switching subjects, I have two questions for the joojez:

1) I submitted something a few days ago and never got the automated confirmation response. Did anybody receive it, or should I resend the email? (you'll know it's from me because it has an epic novel length background story :nicework: ).

2) I talked to Larry about this for a while and he told me to do some more research just to make sure, but when I asked again he never got back to me (no worries; I assumed he got bogged down with B&R or other behind the scenes stuff lately, or just life). G-Mixer, BrothaDom, and I are working on a Sonic medley remix for a Sega Saturn album, and we feel like it's obligatory to make a shout out to Sonic X-treme (our main source is "Can You Feel the Sunshine" from Sonic R, and we'll also be using secondary sources from 3D Blast, so the X-treme source usage is mostly out of nostalgic respect for the Sega Saturn).

We're mostly likely going to directly sample stuff from X-treme in a style similar to halc's Pilotwings, but my concern isn't about the sampling; my question is since it is a cancelled game where most of the work done on it was just concept material but not official stuff does Sonic X-treme's soundtrack count as a legit vgm ost and can we use it in our remix (again, Can You Feel the Sunshine is our main source, but we want to reference X-treme prominently in there as well)?

Pre-note -- you could definitely look into http://www.youtube.com/nonprofits instead of regular partnership for youtube, as previously stated by the artist formerly known as Damashii!!

---

I can understand if they thought it would be seen by the public as a bad thing, but it isn't, and assuming ocr monetized stuff purely based on partnership status would be wrong. It doesn't just automatically work. The only way I can think of it being applied automatically is if OCR uploaded a copyrighted work (usually detected as video or audio owned by a copyright holder) and it would be an ad for that company. But that's something that could happen right now anyway. I'm actually surprised there aren't already Nintendo ads on Nintendo remixes, since they've monetized fan works.

Here's a little run down from my own channel that shows what you have to go through:

1LdNh4h.png

You have to go through 4 steps of activation. I've circled step 2 in red, because it is easily the most time-consuming part. You have to register for AdSense (OCR probably hasn't done this). You get a special "pin number" from Google that is mailed to you, which takes a number of days. It takes some serious effort to complete the monetization options. I think it's safe to say that OCR couldn't "accidentally" monetize the remixes if they became a partner.

EDIT: Adding this in because I didn't notice it before. If you HAVE to monetize a single video for the partnership to be possible, it might be a good opportunity for OC ReMix to branch out a little on the youtube channel, video-wise. Put up an interview with the man djpretzel talking about the history of OC ReMix, maybe throw some Larry in there. You could monetize THAT one and I don't think anyone would mind, it would meet the requirement of 1 monetized video, it would be legal, and any possible "money" made from the monetization of it could go back into the site. You could also use it as your "subscriber preview" that people who are not subscribed to OCR will see. Barebones; two dudes, a boom mic, a couch and possibly a potted plant or two.

castingcouch.jpg

FemKxO1.png

Shown here are the "upload defaults", settings that are applied to all future uploads. I've truncated this a bit to just show basics + the monetization section. As you can see, I have mine set to be on by default for all uploads. You can uncheck it here and it will be off / disabled for all future uploads.

I think this would be a good thing for OCR to try (becoming a partner)

Here is some "support" for youtube partner information: https://support.google.com/youtube/answer/1075910?hl=en

If you try this for ocremix and decide it's not for you, I think you can cancel your partnership by replying to the email stating you don't want to be a partner anymore, or contact support there and tell them. I haven't tried it and I don't want to test it out and see if that works. ;-)

EDIT: Just found this under "Overview" for the account. Looks like disabling ads here would knock them out dead regardless of any monetization settings:

sptwrCE.png

So perhaps you could have a monetized video without actually enabling ads. :tomatoface:

/////////////

On another note, I'd love to volunteer to find / upload source music for site V6's source tune integration, and help out with ideas on the visual aspect of the new youtube video / thumbnail if you guys are open to it. I'm sure Jose has that easily under control though.

Also how do I get The Wettening listed on the album database? I notice you have some by The OneUps and some other albums that weren't released on OCR. All but 1 of the songs passed the panel and is coming to the front page! And I might still change that last one so it'll fit! someday

Edited by Brandon Strader

This is a question you've answered before, but it's a different type of situation.

Similar question answered here: http://ocremix.org/forums/showthread.php?t=34717

My version of the question:

I'm writing a ReMix for submission, and it uses a countermelody line inspired by Billy Joel's

. The countermelody is audible, but not the main focus, and it's pretty subtle. Snippet 1, Snippet 2

Essentially, about 25% of the ReMix uses that in total so far (it's about 90% of the intended final length at the moment), in those two sections specifically. Assuming this would have passed based on production, would this still be eligible, or should I adjust the notes (I wouldn't have a problem removing the countermelody altogether in Snippet 1 to make some headroom)?

Edited by timaeus222

This is a question you've answered before, but it's a different type of situation.

Similar question answered here: http://ocremix.org/forums/showthread.php?t=34717

My version of the question:

I'm writing a ReMix for submission, and it uses a countermelody line inspired by Billy Joel's

. The countermelody is audible, but not the main focus, and it's pretty subtle. Snippet 1, Snippet 2

Essentially, about 25% of the ReMix uses that in total so far (it's about 90% of the intended final length at the moment), in those two sections specifically. Assuming this would have passed based on production, would this still be eligible, or should I adjust the notes (I wouldn't have a problem removing the countermelody altogether in Snippet 1 to make some headroom)?

That doesn't really even sound like Uptown Girl.

One of my mixes was directly rejected (by Larry), because of some major issues. However, I already changed all those problems in another version of my remix I didn't sub. Should I PM it (to Larry) or send it again via the submission mail? Thanks.

(EDIT: BTW, thanks to Larry for finding the name of the composer!) :)

Send it again.

• 5 weeks later...
I'm looking forward to a few of those myself. ;-)

Truth be told I don't know how long OCR's gonna last but I figured if I flooded the world with music then at least there'd be something I would be remembered for when I'm dead. Maybe, who knows. It seems like as good a way as any to express one's self and leave something behind that is meaningful. Unless that meaningful offering gets STUCK ON A PANEL FOR YEAAAAAARS!!!!!!! ;-) Heck I might be dead before some of them are judged!

Truth be told I don't know how long OCR's gonna last but I figured if I flooded the world with music then at least there'd be something I would be remembered for when I'm dead. Maybe, who knows. It seems like as good a way as any to express one's self and leave something behind that is meaningful. Unless that meaningful offering gets STUCK ON A PANEL FOR YEAAAAAARS!!!!!!! ;-) Heck I might be dead before some of them are judged!

Don't say that OCR will die...not that other VGM appreciation websites won't spring up... q.q

Edited by HoboKa