OCR01684 - Animal Crossing "Traveling"

djpretzel

Super <3<3 on this one, I never got way into the games themselves, but the music was perfectly relaxing but keeping a strong melodic presence, and this tends to improve on it in just about every way. Beautiful instrumentation and accompaniment, it captures the delicate 90's pop style just as well as Dale North can, and has a few surprises to boot. :-)

The solo near the end was great but it seems like a note got garbled? I'm not quite sure, but one note seemed strange; we'll see if subsequent listens make it fit better in my mind. One minor nitpick is i'd preferred if it has just a few more seconds of air at the end, but as is it's a captivating arrangement.

Recommended!

Aaaah.

It's really because of Kaijin that I am as much a part of this community as I am now; it was his mixes that made me want to start remixing myself, and I really can't thank him enough for that.

This has all the makings of another classic Kaijin peace. Crisp production, absolutely beautiful arrangement, excellent choice of tones.

I was more than pleasantly surprised when I found out that there was finally an Animal Crossing remix up, and I'm ever so relieved that it's turned out so well. I've been bellyaching about the lack thereof for quite a while.

Anyway, I really enjoyed this one, even if it's not quite the lazy vibe that I had first pictured. Still a great start to the vacation. Overall I give it a 9.5 out of 10, if only because 10/10 sounds too ingratiating.

I don't mean this as an insult or anything, but this is totally something I could hear playing in an elevator somewhere. Really a mellow song, but I like it. The fake harmonicas don't hurt it too badly, but the ending I thought was a little weird with the vibrated strings, because I generally associate that sound with a build up instead of a fade out. But that's a small nitpick to an otherwise great song. Good job Kaijin.

The harmonica solo is a bit too fake but still a much needed new element in the mix.

I explained this one back in 2004, but it's that way on purpose. In fact, I'd say it's a bit tame in comparison to the material that influenced it. If you're interested in an example, track down the album "Black Holiday" by Palm Drive, from Japanese hip-hop producer Akira. The last track "I'm Sorry", which is actually the bonus track on that disc provides a great example of a pitch bent, and a heavily modulated harmonica patch.

tl;dr version: It's supposed to be fake.

I explained this one back in 2004, but it's that way on purpose. In fact, I'd say it's a bit tame in comparison to the material that influenced it. If you're interested in an example, track down the album "Black Holiday" by Palm Drive, from Japanese hip-hop producer Akira. The last track "I'm Sorry", which is actually the bonus track on that disc provides a great example of a pitch bent, and a heavily modulated harmonica patch.

tl;dr version: It's supposed to be fake.

Then good job on the harmonica!

My point was that it's a bit too fake for my taste, no matter what you intended it to sound like ;) otherwise you can just go around dissing everyones reviews saying "it's supposed to sound like that", even though a review is someone's personal opinion.

Just sayin'

Then good job on the harmonica!

My point was that it's a bit too fake for my taste, no matter what you intended it to sound like ;) otherwise you can just go around dissing everyones reviews saying "it's supposed to sound like that", even though a review is someone's personal opinion.

Just sayin'

My point was that it was intentionally fake, not that you're opinion is wrong.

Maybe you were reading into my response a bit much. I wasn't dissing your review. I was merely putting the harmonica in context. I wouldn't want to leave my listeners thinking that I actually was going for a realistic harmonica, when I wasn't.

Thank you for the compliments though.

My point was that it was intentionally fake, not that you're opinion is wrong.

Maybe you were reading into my response a bit much. I wasn't dissing your review. I was merely putting the harmonica in context. I wouldn't want to leave my listeners thinking that I actually was going for a realistic harmonica, when I wasn't.

Thank you for the compliments though.

That, I can accept. I guess I did read it a bit too much then. Mods, feel happy to remove this post if you see fit.

This one is definitely not to my tastes, but it obviously hits the spot it was going for. I thought the harmonica was great. The modulation made it very intresting - a "straight" harmonica solo might have been way too saccharine.

This track is pretty loud, I had to dial it down a couple of notches when it came up among some other tracks I've been listening to.

--Eino

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 6 months later...
  • 8 months later...

I really enjoyed the style of this. I'm a fan of 90s music, and this had a nice soulful 90s sound to it. I liked the light percussion. It gave the music a small dose of back-up, but I like that the melody carried the piece the whole way through.

If Animal Crossing was a game that ever ended, I could imagine hearing this as the song used in the credit roll.

Speaking of endings, that harmonica bit at the end was nicely done. I know the question of whether or not it's "too fake" has come up, but I think it really fit the song's mood and the game it from which the mix was inspired.

• 5 months later...
  • Liontamer changed the title to OCR01684 - Animal Crossing "Traveling"