IGN Declares Blu-Ray Winner of The Format War

Atomicfog

You won't find any new DVD's for that price. Like I said, as the market grows the prices will come down, and there will be lower prices on older Blu-Ray titles compared to newer ones. I just have a problem with people bitching about the prices like the price of a new Blu-Ray movie is ridiculously higher than that of a new DVD, or that prices are going to stay the way they are forever and you'll never see Blu-Ray movies at discounted prices. Besides that, by the time most people who look to spend no more than $5-10 on movies buy an HD player, odds are the price structure will be more in line with what it is for DVD's.

I generally don't hear about any sales on blu-ray titles by that much though - that's why the only blu-ray movie I've seen on my PS3 so far has been Talledega Nights (the one that came with it). I refuse to pay $15+ for a movie unless it's that good, and not many movies fit that bill period IMO.

Holographics are way too further into the future to think it is really competing against Bluray right now. Let's get realistic here. If people are easing into HDTVs right now, then it'll take at least a generation longer until even more advanced technology. While Bluray is most definitely going to catch up within the next five years as the conversion of HDTVs hits higher.

HDVs sounds like a great idea, but there really are no TVs to cater to it and I think it'll be a very tough sell to put something out right after they did so with HDTVs. I think HDTV can stay for around 15-20 years before HDVs start sounding like a successor.

As for movies costing over $15, I think there are plenty. And like I said in discussions like these, most DVDs that comes with any extra features (really, the only reason to even buy them IMO) usually costs over the $20 threshold now. And many Bluray discs I've seen recently were around that range too, so I don't see what's the big deal with the difference in price. It's also reasonable considering Bluray is the ultimate theater experience right now compared to any other format out there.

Comparing new release DVDs with full extra features and Bluray, the difference when both launches is around $5. That is really not much to speak of to me. Actually, I'd rather jump in on the best viewing experience possible for $5 more instead of getting the inferior experience for $5 less.

I generally don't hear about any sales on blu-ray titles by that much though - that's why the only blu-ray movie I've seen on my PS3 so far has been Talledega Nights (the one that came with it). I refuse to pay $15+ for a movie unless it's that good, and not many movies fit that bill period IMO.

During the war you had a B1G1 or B2G1 all the freaking time alongside sales. I have about 20 movies on blu-ray and I don't think I've paid over $25 for any of them.

And that proves, what exactly? 50% is just a ridiculous number in terms of actual sales. I think it'll definitely move the industry if that remained a permanent number. At the rate the price is slowly coming down with the actual discs. A $5 difference for some discs is not insurmountable.

Okay, so to me, a $70 game could use a 100% price cut and it won't be enough. right.

And of course, I'm only saying all that in terms of the general viewpoint of price drops in the general public. And the public tends to be pretty easily moved by lower pricing. That, and premium DVD sales haven't really dropped even with their typically ridiculous pricing (many of them going past the $25 threshold).

That's not good enough for me when it comes to movies - 50% savings is still too low for a cheapass like me.

You'll have to wait a long time to see Blu-ray prices dropping down to DVD prices. It is a fair trade off to me as normal DVD's don't cut it on HDTV's even with upscaling DVD players or receivers. I used to pay $15-$20 for all the DVD's I was buying a couple years back and it didn't bother me at all so these prices are fine. Seeing movies in HD with a good transfer is amazing and more than makes up for the couple $ I lose.

You'll have to wait a long time to see Blu-ray prices dropping down to DVD prices. It is a fair trade off to me as normal DVD's don't cut it on HDTV's even with upscaling DVD players or receivers. I used to pay $15-$20 for all the DVD's I was buying a couple years back and it didn't bother me at all so these prices are fine. Seeing movies in HD with a good transfer is amazing and more than makes up for the couple $ I lose.

I guess I haven't had that problem yet because I don't have an HDTV so far, and the one at home is only like 32" or something like that (DVDs look fine on that one). I'm very cheap though because I buy a lot of music CDs & games, and I view movies as third leg to those, assuming there isn't other stuff I really want as well.

• 8 years later...
On 2/16/2008 at 0:15 AM, djpretzel said:

Had the 360 featured HD-DVD by default, the fight would likely have gone the other way.

At any rate, this definitely makes my PS3 more valuable.

I can't WAIT until blu-ray recorders/media get down to sane prices.... the prospect of being able to back up that much data to optical is really appealing...

BTW, for those who own blu-ray players - HIGHLY recommended: http://www.ocremix.org/amazon/?id=/detail/B000MRAAJM/

THERE'S A STORE?! No way!

• 4 years later...
On 10/22/2021 at 8:16 AM, Atomicfog said:

How have blurays not been superseded yet? Streaming doesn't count btw -- we're talking physical media here. I swear this is basically what we thought was supposed to be next lol    https://ideas.fandom.com/wiki/Green-Ray_Disc

The issue isn't whether the technology exists. It's that there's insufficient demand to warrant mass scale development and deployment of such a format.  With streaming being the predominant option nowadays, there's little incentive for companies to adopt a successor format to Blu-Ray since they're unlikely to see much of a return on their investments.

On 10/22/2021 at 6:16 AM, Atomicfog said:

How have blurays not been superseded yet? Streaming doesn't count btw -- we're talking physical media here. I swear this is basically what we thought was supposed to be next lol    https://ideas.fandom.com/wiki/Green-Ray_Disc

the fact that things can be streamed at HD quality and the cost of flash storage approaching parity with blue ray discs means that these optical storage methods are going to become out of date sooner rather than later

why create an ultraviolet optical storage device when you'll have cheaper flash storage at a higher capacity a few years down the line? why create new methods of delivering movies to the small screen when streaming is such a viable alternative?

R&D takes time and money, and frankly there is no real incentive to create new optical technologies when what we have works as well as it does right now

On 10/25/2021 at 9:55 AM, Gario said:

the fact that things can be streamed at HD quality and the cost of flash storage approaching parity with blue ray discs means that these optical storage methods are going to become out of date sooner rather than later

why create an ultraviolet optical storage device when you'll have cheaper flash storage at a higher capacity a few years down the line? why create new methods of delivering movies to the small screen when streaming is such a viable alternative?

R&D takes time and money, and frankly there is no real incentive to create new optical technologies when what we have works as well as it does right now

We already got 8k cameras in the hands of consumers though and streaming isn't quite there yet for most people. We're likely gonna want something better.  But yeah, we should be using flash storage chips or something for physical game media and stuff it feels like.  Of course, I'm old school so I still want games and movies to exist on physical media for as long as possible (even though ironically most of my games and movies aren't on physical media xD)  Pretty fun looking back at these format wars though -- I swear nobody even remembers hd-dvds existed anymore.