If game <= age then remix?

Awksijek

Does a game have to be around for a certain amount of time before said game can be remixed? And in the same vein; if the first question is a yes, can any game be remixed, even if the game is not "popular"? (The game I have in mind is freeware and very, very obscure.)

Thank you.

We had an FFX remix released before the game was even out, so age is irrelevant. And yes, if you read the submissions standards remixing obscure games is encouraged, as it increases awareness for them and gets more people playing more games. Freeware games is a dodgy issues though, I think the only freeware game we have remixes of is Cave Story, so you might want to ask one of the judges about what game it is specifically. Why not ask in the questions for judges thread, that would be an easy way to find out.

Which game in the series are you planning to mix? 5 Days, Trilby's Notes, or Art of Theft?

I ask because the readme for 5 Days say that the songs were just pilfered from RPG Maker 2000. I think the other games have original soundtracks, but it's something to look into before submitting.

Liontamer: Yeah, Ben Croshaw is pretty much a virtuoso when it comes to games. :) The soundtrack is freely available (as MIDIs) on Screen 7's website and they sound exactly the same as they appear on Trilby: The Art of Theft.

OverCoat: The notability factor should not be a problem with this game.

Yoshi3gg: It's a great game; definitely pick it up. :D