Best Mario fan game ever created! Halo FTW!

JCvgluvr

I don't know. I just completed the beta. Once this game is finished, I won't have a single complaint. It is simply the best. I've dreamed of this kind of game for a long fricken' time. Its about time somebody made it a reality, and did a great job of it as well.

I don't know. I just completed the beta. Once this game is finished, I won't have a single complaint. It is simply the best. I've dreamed of this kind of game for a long fricken' time. Its about time somebody made it a reality, and did a great job of it as well.

Ignoring all the infamous Mario block things, it has been done before.

Megaman, Contra, Metroid. Even the ammo bar for the weapons is taken from Megaman. And Spartan Mario is very WonderBoy-esque.

They did a good job of making the game and everything works the way it's meant to, however badly put together it is. But this kind of game has already been done, and done a lot better.

Uh, go play Cave Story? I don't see how this is any different from any other side-scrolling shooter. Is it just Mario + Halo = awesome for you? I don't get it.

An okay idea. Poor execution. Looks too drawn out. I'd get bored of each level long before it was over just because it's the same droll over and over again. What other SMW hacks have done to make their marks are doing things that you would note expect unless it kicked your ass multiple times before.

Oh yea, and what Gollgagh said about GameFAQS. Too true. Way too true. Last time I went there and read a thread there were these kids bitching at each other because one of them put Zelda in a suite of white armor and got her killed or something like that.

There IS 16 bit music. There ARE other levels planned besides Halo and Mega Man. I already said this. There are Sonic levels, Kirby levels, DK levels, Metal Slug levels, Zelda levels, Gradius/R-type levels, and completely original levels in the works. It even has the fly from Mario paint as a secret boss!

That's why you guys need to see all of his videos. You could find out all of this information and more if...

*Watches Gecko's video*

8-O *is speechless* 8-O

There IS 16 bit music. There ARE other levels planned besides Halo and Mega Man. I already said this. There are Sonic levels, Kirby levels, DK levels, Metal Slug levels, Zelda levels, Gradius/R-type levels, and completely original levels in the works.

See, that's the problem, it's trying to mash together waaaaaaaaaaaay too many styles for it to work completely effectively. It needs more cohesiveness, like people said.

Ten thousand styles a game do not make.

See, that's the problem, it's trying to mash together waaaaaaaaaaaay too many styles for it to work completely effectively. It needs more cohesiveness, like people said.

Ten thousand styles a game do not make.

Um, pessimistic much? Rather than naysay, I have some suggestions for you.

1) Watch all of his videos and form a proper opinion.

2) Download the beta and try it for yourself. Then you can really form an objective opinion.

I've watched every video. I've completed the beta. And you know what? I think it does work completely effectively. I couldn't make a better mario fangame if I tried.

How can you guys criticize something you don't completely understand? The clichés, "judging a book by its cover" and "jumping to conclusions" come to mind...

Okay

1. You're extreme fanboyism about this game is really off putting. If people want to write it off, let them. You're not going to prove how awesome it is by telling everyone that doesn't agree with you about how awesome it is.

2. That being said, I have to say that is certainly not the best Mario hack I've ever played. That's not to say that I've played a lot of them, but IMHO, this isn't the top tier I was thinking it was going to be. Here's why:

-The levels vary wildly from moderate length to "OMG when is this going to end already?!" The longer the level, the less like Mario it starts to feel. Some of the levels got to feeling more like a chore. Especially when the midpoint is stuck at some awkward long length away.

-Also about the levels, some were really easy, others were kinda of crazy. I mean, I wasn't seriously sitting down to beat it (and you can't, but we'll get there in a minute.) but I kept repeatedly getting my ass kicked on some of them since I managed to get there without a power up (see: parts of Bubbleman's level). A good Mario level you can beat even if you're tiny. That part with the frogs and the spikes underwater...yeah, didn't even bother after the fifth time I died.

-This is a beta. I'll give it that, but there are some seriously broken aspects which killed game play for me. The springs were hit or miss at best, the underwater swimming felt like moving through lead. I don't remember how SMW did it, but this is no SMW and it's obvious. You move too slowly and there's no way to speed it up or to control how high you swim up either. It's all a guess. The mushroom houses are accessible but really broken (see: laughing my ass off though at how you fall through the floor.)

-the music is not customizable. I tried every variation I could think of in renaming them, to no avail. The game was silent every time I ran it.

-The guns, while nifty, seem kind of gimmicky. The reason I say this is two fold. The first is that they really don't last that long. You pick a weapon to use at one given point, but it won't last you very long into the rest of the level. Secondly, they are way over sized. I would have greatly appreciated seeing them sized to the character as Mario with the rifle looks ridiculous.

-Same goes for nearly all of the crossover characters. Some of them are just way too big for the game size.

-I'd like to see a better control layout, or a customizable one. Jamming my fingers into a corner sucked. Especially when I'm going for a jump and I end up releasing the stupid power-up.

In conclusion: It's a beta, I understand this. But I have to agree with some of the sentiments expressed that this is not the best I've ever seen. And, on top of that, I happen to agree with Gollgagh on this one, there feel like way too many styles going on. I was in Doom, then I'm jumping on DK enemies, then I'm blasting Covenant. Cool, thumbs up for the effort, but I feel like it should either be focused or refined.

(On more thing though: I really liked the backgrounds. Extremely well done on those.)

The video makes it seem neat, but that level looks long as hell. I think I'd get tired of playing if every stage took 5 - 10 mins to finish.

As for the controlls, there's plenty of Joy to Key programs that totaly render that issue non-existant.

Works a treet for playing Stinkoman too.

!!!

I'm sad I never thought of that; Stinkoman is impossible with a keyboard, it seems. And I beat Mega Mman X 3 on a keyboard too.

See? Darklink42 has tried it and just didn't like it. I can accept that. Its no big deal. Its just a fangame for pete's sake. But, had he tried it and liked it, It would have been because I showed it to him. And that's what I'm trying to do.

I get upset with people who watch one video, and then draw tons of their own conclusions. There's a lot more to Super Mario Fusion than that one video I posted. When people start getting pre-judgemental is when I start getting ticked.

And all those problems Darklink42 had really shouldn't exist. I've never fallen thru a floor. I've seen youtube videos of people putting in other music. And the slow movement complaints? Yeah, that is an issue. Judgespear's working on a new version of the beta that should help in getting it to run quickly on everyone's computer besides his.

Again, if there are so many better Mario Hack/fangames, show them to me. Until then, I just haven't seen anything better up until this point. That doom hack with mario video was pretty awesome, but it was a different type of game entirely.

It's not that we're bashing your game, it's the fact that the way you present your argument is immensely immature. Just because people don't want to spend the time to play the game to make an "objective" opinion doesn't make them bigots. The offensiveness that you emit from other's opinions is offensive in itself. If we want to try the game then good for you, you did what you want. Some of us just DON'T want to try it. You're just digging yourself into a bigger hole when you say we're pre-judgmental and get "ticked."

It's not that we're bashing your game, it's the fact that the way you present your argument is immensely immature. Just because people don't want to spend the time to play the game to make an "objective" opinion doesn't make them bigots. The offensiveness that you emit from other's opinions is offensive in itself. If we want to try the game then good for you, you did what you want. Some of us just DON'T want to try it. You're just digging yourself into a bigger hole when you say we're pre-judgmental and get "ticked."

Does, "Don't judge a book by its cover" mean anything to you? So, a proverb made up who knows how long ago is considered immature? You should show us what dictionary you use...

How does someone make an unbiased opinion without trying something they're arguing against? Jack Thompson probably hasn't played a video game since Pong. But he argues against them all the time. Are you saying he's not a bigot?

If I say that I don't like broccoli, but I've never tried it before, do I have enough information to make a proper opinion?

If someone says "I hate this fangame because Mario uses guns and goes to Halo land", but he hasn't tried it before, could it be possible that he doesn't know what he's talking about?

Only the immature use "immature" as an insult, BTW.