Best Mario fan game ever created! Halo FTW!

JCvgluvr

Good god, simmer the fuck down, kid.

After looking through the stuff myself, I still stand by the argument. It could work, but having a cohesive art style (where stuff is generally in the same size scale, at the very least) goes a long way into making a game that stands on its own. You can pit Sonic and Joanna Dark wielding light sabers and riding giant mechas against Colossi from Shadow of the Colossus for all I care, but if you're expecting me to treat this as a serious game, rather than as just a Sonic hack, I don't want to see a sprite rip from Sonic 1 and digitized screencaps of Dark and the Colossi in the same screen.

Mario fighting a Cacodemon? Cool! But it's still a DIRECT SRPITE RIP from Doom.

What is this cohesiveness that everyone's talking about? I'm not sure that you quite understand what we're getting at.

This is an excellent video for showing you what I'm talking about:

This is a fan game (MUGEN based, admittedly), but you can really see the effort this team has put into making sure the characters fit into a certain style.

This is really my gripe with the art.

As per the gameplay, eh it looks alright, but it's hardly anything I'd write home about.

(Congrats on trolling me btw)

I think Judgespear said he started working on this in december (don't quote me). Obviously, he has a long way to go until he's finished with SMF.

I've seen that Mugen-like game before. Pretty cool concept, although I'm not a fan of the chibi-like artstyle.

So you've thoroughly checked out the videos Gollgagh? Good. Now you can tell me how you don't like this fangame, as you've taken the time to give it a chance first. That's all I ask.

Even if someone came in here watched one video, and said they didn't like the game, pure and simple, that'd be fine. But when someone comes here and posts a detailed rant against something they've only seen once, its kind of stupid. That's what annoys me.

Kid? I was born in '88.

>_>

that means you are a kid

also you are quite immature bud. let people bash something they dont like. stop taking so much damn offense

jeez

people judge shit by previews all the time. trailers for movies are a good example. if i see a trailer of a movie and it totally sucks, chances are im not going to give the movie the time of day.

change your posting habits cause you always sound like such a jerk

Does, "Don't judge a book by its cover" mean anything to you? So, a proverb made up who knows how long ago is considered immature? You should show us what dictionary you use...

(proverb dictionary? I want one.) Don't judge a book by its cover is all good and all, but does that mean that you have to read every book you come across/play every game someone says is good? no, this proverb is best applied to people (and even that is a tad unreasonable by quantity).

How does someone make an unbiased opinion without trying something they're arguing against? Jack Thompson probably hasn't played a video game since Pong. But he argues against them all the time. Are you saying he's not a bigot?

there's a difference between offering an opinion (ie "I'm not impressed") versus arguing against it (ie "the game is badly made").

and where jack thompson is concerned, I personally don't care how he feels about video games. I just care about what he tries to do about it.

If I say that I don't like broccoli, but I've never tried it before, do I have enough information to make a proper opinion?

not exactly (depending on your definition of 'opinion'), but do we have the right to force you to try it? (furthermore, you don't know which of us are posting after playing the beta)

If someone says "I hate this fangame because Mario uses guns and goes to Halo land", but he hasn't tried it before, could it be possible that he doesn't know what he's talking about?

They probably don't know much about the game, but they make their view direct if shortsighted. That just means that they are restricting themselves from what could be a great game, and there's nothing you can do to change their minds. The realm of entertainment really isn't where this becomes a problem.

Only the immature use "immature" as an insult, BTW.

I love how this backfires on you. (On a side note, your statement isn't necessarily true.)

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

What I see going on in here is you brought a halfway decent game that doesn't meet the reletively different tastes of all the posters here. They say they don't like it, then you insist they do/will. Maybe you're right and maybe you're wrong, but you must let your children grow up and make their own decisions, mother.

I suggest you focus on the specific arguments that ARE offered (like you did regarding DarkLink's post) and talk to the people that DO approve of the game and its merits. Otherwise, you'll probably remain the target that you are.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Regarding the game. I watched the video and enjoyed it and the concept, though I did not play it I probably will not. I think I most enjoyed the fact that hammer bros upgrade is available about as much in one level than it is in all of SMB3. I love that suit.

I also think several of the arguments are valid. I'd also prefer a better size-scale with the non-mario elements. The "non-snes graphics" didn't bother me too much, but I'm just not strict in terms of graphics.

And yes, multiple game styles do complicate things greatly. Smash bros pulled it off, imo, by the fact that they did not tether it to a single game. Smash is not a mario game, but a nintendo game with nintendo(+) characters. Otherwise, people would probably complain whenever Mario used the super-scope...

As a mario game, it's a tad wierd but cool. As a game, I approve. There are far worse things to call "Mario."

You're obviously missing the point. I find it hard to believe someone older than me lacks the reading comprehension to determine that we're not all here to judge this game because we're presented with it. If I'm not interested in it then I'm not interested in it. And I really think it's annoying that you're trying to convince me to try it when I already said I'm NOT interested. And like it or not, the way you're acting about this whole thing makes you a kid in the mind. Please act your age and accept the fact that some people just aren't interested or get off on the same things you do. And for the record, I never said the game was bad, I just don't have OMFG DROOL BUCKETS as my reaction. And I never made a judgment about it. Just because I don't show interest doesn't mean I think it's bad/good.

tl;dr not interested, respect my opinion

Some of you are like "All I said is I'm not interested" "I didn't say its a bad game". I'm perfectly aware and fine with this. I couldn't possible care less if Super Mario Fusion doesn't interest you. But there are people in this very topic who keep pointing out that there are tons of better hacks/fangames out there that do it better. But then they don't post proof, and they continue to downright berate this game, when it doesn't deserve it. They ARE people saying "this game sucks, its gimmicky" and they have no right to, unless they know what they're talking about.

What is okay:

Saying something doesn't look interesting, and you don't want to try it (AKA, opinion).

What is NOT okay:

Saying something is horrible, and doesn't deserve your attention. Until you've given it the time of day, you can't say that. You won't be taken seriously (AKA, serious argument/attack).

Again, my prime focus isn't the jaded posters in here that put a bullseye on my butt and rip into me. What I care about, is the chance to show some guy that there's a great fangame out there (which I've been made aware of is my opinion, or something) and he might like it. Then, maybe he'll try the beta, love it, and make some of Judgespear's hard work pay off. I think he deserves it. I'm not alone either, as plenty of people have gotten past this "artwork" and "purist, anti- Mario + Gun" bullcrap.

Arek, I'm not sure what I should do about your strange fascination with "keeping me in line", so I'm not even going to bother. Have a nice day, or something...:-P

The whole Mario + gun thing has been done, and in Smash Bros no less (the whole picking up guns and whatnot).

It might be a decent game considering it is only a fangame. But in the end it's just poorly rehashed Megaman with re-skinned everything and Smash Bros item mechanics.

Although if you like it, then.. Whatever floats your boat, I suppose. But it sounds like a bunch of people here (including me) don't feel as though the game is.. buoyant...

@arek: don't stfu. kthx. bai.

The best way for you to respond to the people that offend you is to not respond at all. It prevents the confrontation on your part and in the long run, it's better that way for you. You say you want to show that random guy the good game? Then you will/have, even though many of the people here aren't interested or don't like the game. Focus on what you say what you posted for, not the people who think otherwise.

Some people mentioned cohesion, but when did a Mario game ever need one? Even Mario games were all over the place and none of it really made a lot of sense either.

I think that's the beauty of fan games actually. You don't need to worry about selling it and marketing it. The hodgepodge of fan games is its charm as I see it. I'm sure some would disagree anyway.

The whole Mario + gun thing has been done, and in Smash Bros no less (the whole picking up guns and whatnot).

It might be a decent game considering it is only a fangame. But in the end it's just poorly rehashed Megaman with re-skinned everything and Smash Bros item mechanics.

Although if you like it, then.. Whatever floats your boat, I suppose. But it sounds like a bunch of people here (including me) don't feel as though the game is.. buoyant...

Just to avoid confusion, Super Mario Fusion is the complete opposite of ^that, okeydokey? Also, for the record, there are many supporters of this fangame, so ^that is mistaken. Its just harder to impress people around here, that's all. Oh well, no use being bitter, I suppose.

For that one guy who asked, I don't like Judgespear as an individual (only because I don't know him/her personally). I just like his/her work. Had anyone made such a phenomenal fangame besides him/her, I would have adored them instead.

Just to avoid confusion, Super Mario Fusion is the complete opposite of ^that, okeydokey?

So this game is the opposite of what I had said? A game where Mario picks up guns and uses them. From what I could be bothered playing, it seems that the game is somewhere between Megaman and Smash Bros. Spartan Mario is like a green Zero.

Telling people that the game is the opposite of what it is, is confusing...

But kudos to judgespear or whatever for putting the engine together. I wish I could do that. Even if the game ended up being Mario physics, Megaman gameplay, and some Smash Bros mechanics.

Also, for the record, there are many supporters of this fangame, so ^that is mistaken.

Avril Lavigne has a lot of people who buy her CD's, so she obviously makes much better music than ANYONE in this here community, right? Seriously, when will people stop using the "IT HAS A LOT OF FANS SO UR OBVIOUSLY WRONG", especially considering the supporters you're talking about were most likely spawned in the retard abyss that is gamefaqs. FF7 has a lot of fans, that doesn't make the storyline any less batshit insane. Halo has a lot of fans, that doesn't make it any less boring and mind numbing to me.

Also, better SMW Hacks? Check out Anikiti's Super Demo World and Luigi's Adventure. MUCH BETTER LEVEL DESIGN and it's extremely challenging (though not to the degree of Kaizo Mario World). Later levels are honestly more similar to puzzles than to platforming. That said, awaiting your "IT HAS NO PEW PEW LASERS SO IT SUCKS" response.

From what I could be bothered playing, it seems that the game is somewhere between Megaman and Smash Bros.

It's not that, I assure you. The only similarity between SMF and SSB, is Mario uses guns, and many game universes are being mixed together. Now, the game mechanics are indeed completely opposite, as SSB is a fighting game, and SMF is a platformer, with a little gun action thrown in.

Alright, Tensei-San. Since you're itching for a fight so bad, I'll pick apart your first post and glean as much truth from it as I can. It won't be easy, but I'll give it my best shot. But I'm only gonna do it 1 TIME. Okay, no more, no less. Here we go:

Avril Lavigne has a lot of people who buy her CD's, so she obviously makes much better music than ANYONE in this here community, right? Seriously, when will people stop using the "IT HAS A LOT OF FANS SO UR OBVIOUSLY WRONG", especially considering the supporters you're talking about were most likely spawned in the retard abyss that is gamefaqs. FF7 has a lot of fans, that doesn't make the storyline any less batshit insane. Halo has a lot of fans, that doesn't make it any less boring and mind numbing to me.

The only reason I talked about supporters, was to dismantle someone else's attack. Take a look around this topic. There are many trolls here (not unlike yourself) who are making it pretty clear that this fangame is **** to them. I don't give a crap. All I'm saying, is that it goes both ways. And FYI, there were 3-5 supporters, in this topic. Can you taste your foot in your mouth yet? I hope so.

Also, better SMW Hacks? Check out Anikiti's Super Demo World and Luigi's Adventure. MUCH BETTER LEVEL DESIGN and it's extremely challenging (though not to the degree of Kaizo Mario World). Later levels are honestly more similar to puzzles than to platforming. That said, awaiting your "IT HAS NO PEW PEW LASERS SO IT SUCKS" response.

Who's talking about hacks? When I made this topic, I gave it the title of "fangame". Do you see "hack" in the topic title? I don't.

I've loved Mario ever since I was in diapers back in '89 or so. That was waaaaaaaay before he shot anything short of fireballs. Got any other stereotypes for me to fit in? Nerd perhaps? Maybe geek? Dude with no life who lives in his mother's basement? Go ahead, throw me a curveball. Its pretty useless, since we're on a friggen' gaming message board, but I'm game.

I'm only hear to educate the positive, after all. Names and hostility don't phase me in the slightest!

I seriously think you should stop talking to save yourself from any more "attacks" regarding this particular "fan game" or whatever the hell you want to call it. All you're doing now is giving the "trolls" more ammo, if you will. Even though personally I think you're just bringing this upon yourself. This thread has degraded into useless flaming and trolling. Requesting a lock.

im tellin ya, if you changed your attitude in your posts, things would totally be different man

you really do come off as a jerk and i really am not the only one that thinks that

dont get me wrong. im not sayin this cause im tryin to troll you. i seriously think that you would be liked a whole lot more if you didn't be so snarky in your posts.

Seconding thread lock request.