Welcome To Silent Hill

NeoS

Hey dude this has lots of good ideaas and transitions, but for me at least it is still too minimalistic. There are times when there is only one or two sounds playing at a time. The hi-hats need more presence and movement.

2:10 where is the background harmonic support?

1:05 to 1:20 is nothing but hi-hats slowing down. The background FX is cool but it doesn't do enough to support the song.

The synth line basically stays with the exact same movement for minutes on end.

The kick basically takes up the entire song. Is it in mono? In hardstyle they usually have huge kicks which really are not my thing, but this one is still too big.

If you are goin to submit to OCR you gotta cut out the entire first 1:35. Siamey's Ghost of Shadow Moses track got rejected and it had more source in the intro.

This really needs extra elements like pads and more movement in the synths. You usually tend to do things in a rather minimalistic style which is cool, but to stick with that style your sound design needs a major bump. You gotta really design some catchy synths.

The best example for another song I can give is Traffic by Tiesto. That song is incredibly minimalistic. Although he has a prominent bassline and kick that work well together and work with the song. Listen to how crazy his hi-hat patterns are. Also once the song gets goin he basically uses the exact same synth line the entire time...but it always sounds fresh because he has so much movement in it.

I thought the intro really had a lot of good ideas that seemed fresh to me at least. The ending with those FX def struck a tone.

Do you got Reason4 yet? If you do I can send you an RNS with all kinds of examples of emulating different effects and synth sounds that are used in tons of dance music. (fattener's, Sub OSC, Spread, etc...)

Keep it up dude!

I never thought i would of heard hardstyle on this site. Minimal is fine for a style, don't listen to those other guys. I like where this is going. I will have to say that the piece need a lot more variation in the first minute or so, but you don't have to cut it out completely. In fact, I would suggest you don't.

Some pads or synths would be prime, but I don't know the source material too well, so I can't suggest anything. I did like the synths that started at 2:08, but the other synth you started at 3:08 didn't mesh well with the overall piece. I would change that. I like the slow down at 4:10ish, but if you wanted this song to be longer, i would have speed it up after that at kept going instead of ending it.

So far, it sounds really promising. I like the style and the speed, it just needs a little work on EQing and making all the pieces fit together. Excited to see where this goes.

Your work has greatly improved, NeoS. This is jumpstyle, all right. You really nailed down the nicely cutoff filtered kicks in the first 35 seconds of the song.

I can't give you arrangement tips since I don't really know the source.

The bass drum is too bassy, even for jumpstyle. I suggest is make them more subdued and trance-like. Use less sustain and release on the bass, and it will give room for the other sounds to play. Keep the distortion, but don't let them dominate the bass part of the frequency spectrum entirely.

Nice slowdown ahead, and it's not expected. However, the ambient break with the fx needs to be cut down, IMO, to be passable. I think it will be considered dead space in an OCR mix. It shouldn't be 1 minute long, and even 30 seconds might be pushing it.

The bass drum in the next part is much more to my liking. THIS is what you should use in the first section, just with more distortion. The synth you used is nothing special. Okay for the style, but not very original. Some additional lead support would be needed. At 3:09 the loud, sustained bass clutters everything up again. Sounds like it's clipping.

All right, so my biggest beef seems to be with the loud bass kick. Take care of this first, and you'll have more space to fit your other sounds much better.

Thanks guys. I'll see what I can do.

JustChris, you're right, the kick DOES overpower a bit. I could trim it down a bit in the bass section and cut it a bit too. Good pointer.

The lead is a bit too corny, but it works, right? About harmonic support... I don't recall jumpstyle ever having any strings or pads, only in passages between beats. So to stay true to the style, I can't do really much about that.

About the passage @ around 1:35 I could add some filtered percussion or such. I want to emphasize on the creepyness of the passage to stay true to the game.

To make my point somewhat more clear: I don't especially remix this for OCR. Which means, I won't be using the OCR guidelines as much, I posted it here since you guys know the source and some of you can appreciate a remix like this. Input is always welcome of course.

• 1 month later...