Games & Storytelling: a 10-minute video by me!

sephfire

I think the localization process hurts Japanese story games during translation, but even that is getting better (FFXII's translation in particular was fantastic).

This is probably the main reason a lot of japanese games end up not working as a whole. FFX's story telling lost much of its original flow because yunas disjointed pauses in sentences didn't really work in english. Also they never bother to re-do the lip-syncing for english releases. Man though, the FF12 translation was epic, and the sences all still work perfectly. The dynamics between the characters were great imo.

If I had to pick an example of great story-telling though, it would still be shadow of the colosus, despite the fact that only one character really says anything. It transends language and speaks through direction alone, so imo writers and directors are equally responsible for creating a convincing story experiance.

If I had to pick an example of great story-telling though, it would still be shadow of the colosus, despite the fact that only one character really says anything. It transends language and speaks through direction alone, so imo writers and directors are equally responsible for creating a convincing story experiance.

Definitely. That game is proof that a game doesn't need to be wordy (Mass Effect) to tell a great story and have emotional impact.

The main thing I'm really waiting for is for an AMAZING story to arrive. It might take some time (film didn't start getting amazing stories for decades), but it'll rock when it happens.

It has already happened [/obligatory P:T reply]

Then again, this might not really be fair to bring up. IMO Planescape: Torment is a book with interactive elements, not so much a game with a good story.

Just got my grade back today. A solid 97. Most students commented that the narration was exhaustingly fast, which I expected. They haven't been listening to Yahtzee's lightning fast rants for months like we have. Otherwise they all liked it. I even got one comment saying how awesome Psychonauts was and it's too bad more people didn't play it. I did not expect to find even ONE student in that class who had played the game.

All in all, I count this a victory. :<