OCR01685 - Final Fantasy VI "Dirt Devil"

djpretzel

As has been said, the fade-out leaves more to be desired... It sounds like you've got some strings playing predominantly through the fade-out, though, which makes me feel like the piece was taking me somewhere, but then disappeared and left me by myself... :( I'll get over it, though.

I would be up for having this piece completely finished to a definite ending someday. You did a very nice job, and I think, had it not been for the deadline, it would've been longer and better! :)

To be honest, this is not my favourite song that I've heard from Zircon. It's a good song, but it sounds like it just needs to break out into something more, and it never really does.

Instrumentation is good, but the fake guitars pierce my ears and cause me to shit myself and vomit at the same time... well.. not LITERALLY, but you get the idea!

Something is just lacking to me, can't quite put my finger on it, but the song as a whole comes off a little hollow. The strongest part of the song for me is the intro, after the song comes in, everything falls apart a bit. The orchestral section comes in too abruptly and just seems out of place, and then the guitars come in awkwardly and everything seems like it's missing bits of transitional magic that would elevate this song to being complete.

Fadeout ending sucks :( If you're gonna do a fadeout, at least do it with STYLE!

Anyways, I had fun with this mix, despite the problems. NO RESUB

Y'all are haters on the fadeout. When you've done a mix like this in five days while also going to classes full time and working on school projects, let me know :lol:

In all seriousness, the entire last minute of the mix was written within about an hour of the deadline, and the minute before that was written within a day (keeping in mind I had classes as well.) I don't think the fade is all that bad, though - I think a resolved ending would have been cheesy here. I was envisioning, throughout the song, what the devil's lab area would have been like in an FF6 remake. You fight your way through this massively imposing factory, lots of stuff happens, and then when you're almost entirely depleted of HP/MP, you think you're at the end. Then you zone into the next room and you see the rest of the level, which is even more massive than what you just did. That would be right around 3:16.

Plus, musically, where else am I going to go with it after what I had at the end? I've already done the main theme repeatedly, do I really need to do it again? I leave it to your imagination.

Anyway, regardless, thanks all for the comments!

Great track, love the intro especially. Was :40 with the spacey background synth influenced by Pendulum's "Granite"? Superb the whole way through.

Yeah, I was kind of thinking of Granite in that part as well as just sci-fi music in general.

Plus, musically, where else am I going to go with it after what I had at the end? I've already done the main theme repeatedly, do I really need to do it again? I leave it to your imagination.

This song deserves to have a second ACT or just a little more. Musically ... you could throw in more of the same since its awesome anyways.. but to end it you could hear the music stop... and then hear steam and a machine or 30 running in the backround. Footsteps running... someone dropping something like a piece of magicite... Footsteps stop,.. turn around pick up the magicite and run away... and kefka laugh down a hallway as his slippers scamper across the floor. Creating an Audio environment that is conducive to a "plot" or story.

I think that would make the end feel like a radio drama or something.

Anyway.... your song rocked the Block.

This is excellent! The beginning beat overlaping the NES drum break reminds me of alot of Canadian rap music that deserves to make it big (Nifty, Swollen Members, and Short-top to name a few). The piano arrangements are top-notch; filty and grimey on the low octaves (just the way I like it, it`s too bad you can`t make it sound like it`s from vinyl. Only sampled crates can give that effect). The pizzacato strings are proffessionally done considering they`re fast.

Congrats on your success. It`s more than the fact that your on-line rep smells terrific!:-P

11 out of 10! Yup, that`s right!

• 3 weeks later...
I dunno why people are complaining about the fadeout, I got no problem with it. The image of a monster stomping off is actually very apt. :lol:

in some ways i do agree, im very fond of powerful fadeouts, which in this example really IS a monster ..

but as many know, including myself - zircon could really set this off in a powerful last BLOW if he'd have the time

im not saying that the fadeout is bad, it's awesome either way.. but he COULD .. couldn't he? ;)

in some ways i do agree, im very fond of powerful fadeouts, which in this example really IS a monster ..

but as many know, including myself - zircon could really set this off in a powerful last BLOW if he'd have the time

im not saying that the fadeout is bad, it's awesome either way.. but he COULD .. couldn't he? ;)

Im sure he could. But Im sure hes also done that neumerous times... its nice to vary things up just for the sake of being different. it makes life more interesting. if every song had a final BANG at the end.... youd always expect a bang and it wouldnt be considered "good" unless the bang was present. well you get the picture.

• 1 month later...

I'm late to the party on this one, but I definitely need to throw in my two or four bits.

This take on this score, no doubt, trumps them all as far as I'm concerned. I won't go into comparing it to some others which I also like. Suffice to say this is an instant favorite. It captures everything it's suppose and adds a bit more.

Honestly, the fadeout didn't bother me at all when I first heard it and after hearing zircon's intent on it I like it even better. There is an entire new theme coming in as it fades out. Leaving plenty to the imagination.

There's no question guys, this remix leaves you wanting more but that is what good remixes do.

The intro is impecable. The jump around transitions at 2:13 and then again at 2:23 are awesome. They just make you smile. You can't help it. You just smile. The bit from 2:54 to fade out is simply beautiful and has zircon trademarks written all over it. I think this is some of zircon's best work. That statement alone should speak for itself.

Truly remarkable work. 5 out of 5 on my vista ratings.

Incredible job. Congratulations to zircon on taking place #1.

This arrangement is deserving of the recognition.

• 7 months later...
  • 3 months later...

/Recognition

No need for me to say this is an incredible arrangement, but I will, anyway.

This is an incredible arrangement. It is easily one of my favorites on this site. I can't say much about this that hasn't already been said - the seamless transitions, the wonderful interpretation... that damn fadeout that starts a new idea that I wanted to hear more of, yet at the same time I can't imagine ending it any differently.

All I can hope is that you've got more coming later this year for us! (Woo! Power to 2009!)

• 1 month later...

I hated 3:26, because it starts to fade out and leave. :/

This piece is engaging. You might not expect where it's going in the first dozen measures, but you'll love it when you get there, every step of the way. And when the piece comes to a close... it's like.. the bittersweet feeling of returning home, alone, after an exciting week of adventure that is likely to never happen again (this is why some genius made Repeat).

I'm amazed by how much stuff is going on. Not only are there like uncountable quantities of instruments and drums/percussions/percussive sounds, the automation going on is impressive (well, this is zircon's work...).

This is one of those required listens if you frequent this site, if not for the enjoyment of the work, at least for the appreciation of the workmanship and the creativity involved. I feel so lame for not listening to it with a more open mind a year ago.

Though a tad bit late, congratulations, zircon - you deserve it.

• 1 month later...

While Kefka's Theme and Magitek Factory could be expected to mesh well, credit has been done to the opening theme too. Furthermore, Umaro is a highly unexpected and totally brilliant addition. That damn Yeti finally makes himself useful!

The transitions are awesome, really blending well, and since the core is Magitek Factory - which is one of my favourite tracks in the whole game, alongside Kefka's Theme and a few others - it appeals to me all the more. Kudos!

• Liontamer changed the title to OCR01685 - Final Fantasy VI "Dirt Devil"