OCR01685 - Final Fantasy VI "Dirt Devil"

djpretzel

This is probably my favorite of zircon's remixes. Love the bitcrushed drums and the 'assembly line' feel at 1:55. The melodic interpretations are freakin' awesome. I think the fade-out ending is WEAK, but that's easy to overlook considering how amazing the other 99% of this mix is. Awesome track, and a late congratulations on the whole contest thing :nicework:

• 3 months later...

zircon is easily one of my favorite remixers on OCRemix and I can see why this song won and why so many people love it. It's a really creative piece and I like how all four sources work so well together in this mix. Not my favorite of his, but you still gotta like it. Thanks again zircon :)!!

• 1 month later...

It's been awhile since I've listened to this one, and I don't remember it being nearly as good as it actually is. The soloing is great, the transitions into completely new instrumentation are solid and not at all jarring, and the pace of the mix is excellent. The only sad face I got during this was the fade out, but I can understand due to the time constraints of the contest this was originally made for. A strong ending would have made this perfect, or at the very least a longer fade.

Good stuff, excellent arrangement.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

This is another one of those tracks that completely encompasses what OCRemix is to me - a mix that takes something fairly obscure and geeky, and transforms it into something with attitude and swagger, something that yells "SO I LIKE SNES MUSIC, BITE ME!" :< The growly bass, the screeeeaming synth solos... man, this has got so much style. I dig hugely. <3

• 1 year later...
2:13 - 2:23 = 10 seconds of absolute perfection.

I love the track as a whole but those 10 seconds are simply fantastic.

Agreed. Those 10 seconds may be the greatest musical bit out of any video game remix on here or anywhere else.

Also 2:04 to 2:13 sounds like perfect evil genius laboratory music, followed by the unveiling of the grand scheme at 2:13, followed by the shock and terror aftermath afterward :twisted:

• 2 months later...

Lots of people have said it before me, but I'll say it once more. This here is some fantastic shit. Zircon is king of electronic/orchestral integration and while it's becoming a more and more popular style of music, only zircon manages to integrate several types of electronic and orchestral styles together in the one frigging mix. It's a beautiful beast to behold. Things go from retro chip music, to sci-fi synthpop, to chamber music, to baroque, to grand orchestral. It's a whirlwhind of genres that are blended really seamlessly.

I guess it's to do with the perfect arrangement of the main theme. The inclusion of several cameos keeps things fresh for the most part, but the continuous inventions that fill out the mix do most of the work. The main melody plays often, and yet we never get sick of it. That's a sign of a good mixer. This is a mix that makes you look forward to what it around the next corner.

I honestly did feel cheated by the fadeout, but 5 seconds of the mix doesn't change my opinion on the rest of it. Highly recommended.

• 5 months later...

This is probably the dogs bollocks of all zircons remixes. Its got a rather cheeky mischievous tone to it, similar to the plants vs zombie soundtrack, but it uses that as a foundation to build up to some fantastically epic climatic moments, for example, 1:20 and 2:13. Dynamics are the focus here, and no one has quite mastered that art in the same way as zircon has, and he excelled at that strength here. The treatment of the source tune is pro as well, changing the meter to compound time (3 measures in each beat... swing feel) was inspired, and compliments the infectious groove. And as always, it has zircons seal of production. The only real weakness this remix has is the ending, particularly when you had such a great potential ending to expand and finish at 3:10, it decides to reintroduce the beat and fade out. Confusing decision based on what you had to work with but its a minor gripe.

Its got groove, its got orchestral, its got rock, its got EVERYTHING... If you were only to download a select few remixes off the site, then this should be one of them... its clearly one of the best the site has to offer. Oh yeah, he did it in 3 hours or something... :P

Fantastic work zircon, I applaud your effort here.

Edited by WillRock

• 1 year later...

HEY. HEY. HEY.

I could've sworn I said something, like, a year ago, but I didn't. D:

By far the most variations I've ever heard on any one section in a source material. It took a few listens before I could really appreciate the amount of work it took to reiterate the same notes in completely different instrumentation and atmosphere, but this is masterful stuff. <3

• 1 month later...
  • 1 year later...

Those crunchy lo-fi beats is a great way to start a truly amazing mix :) I love when the piano comes in at 0:10. It sounds mean, yet playful. Love the small orchestral break at 0:49. Another break at 1:34 (this time with sorta marching drums) is a nice touch as well. The third bit of orchestra starts at 2:53, which is different from previous ones, sounds like being climax of this mix. The electronica elements sound fine as well. So this mix for me is clearly battle of synthetic and organic, of any two opposites, you name it. Love it!

Edited by Black_Doom

• Liontamer changed the title to OCR01685 - Final Fantasy VI "Dirt Devil"
  • 5 years later...

It's been over a decade since this was published; despite all that, it still holds up to this today. In fact, zircon's the main reason why I got into music production!

The song truly feels like it's telling a story, such as entering a ghost house (specifically 50 seconds in). I absolutely love the mixing that enters at 2 minutes and 54 seconds. Just 9 seconds later, and I imagine a transition of falling down from heaven to hell. Not only that, but I also hear what sounds like metalworkers hammering in a factory, which happens so at 1 minute and 54 seconds.

I'm not surprised that Andy won the contest, because this is just too excellent! Outstanding job, zircon :D

Edited by BurningMagma