Recording Video to PC

Dr. Rod

In anticipation of Super Smash Bros. Brawl, Ive been gettin together the accessories I'll want in advance. One of thesee is something I can use to record my Wii gameplay directly to PC (to create gameplay videos like those on YouTube). Unfortunately, I ave no idea what thats called (Video to PC recorder??), or what would be the best device for that specific purpose. Can anyone give any recommendations? Or even just help me with the terminology?

• 2 weeks later...

I've found that recording to cassette and then using a capture card to put my recordings on my hard drive is the easiest route to go. You don't neccessarily need a capture card though.

If you already have a DV camera use that.

If you have some other kind of camera, there are converters which take lots of different input signals and change them all into a usb signal. (I'll have to look for that one.)

If you have a vcr with cassette recording capabilities, do what I suggested above.

Gamespot has a pretty good tutorial on this. http://www.gamespot.com/features/6148616/index.html?tag=result;title;0

That's all I can think of right now. If you have anymore questions, please ask. This is an area I like to dabble in.

• 3 months later...

I was thinking about this the other day and did a bit of research. It seems most of the capture cards are focused on recording television and, as a result, only accept coaxial input. When I'm looking, how do I specify a capture card that accepts RCA and hopefully HDMI?

You need a TV tuner card. Problem is, you need a TV tuner card that doesn't act as a PVR, and those are rare these days. Those that do act as a PVR will tend to have a 1-2 second delay between what is recorded and what you see, which obviously makes gaming impossible.

• 2 weeks later...
You need a TV tuner card. Problem is, you need a TV tuner card that doesn't act as a PVR, and those are rare these days. Those that do act as a PVR will tend to have a 1-2 second delay between what is recorded and what you see, which obviously makes gaming impossible.

Explaining what a PVR is might be nice.

Besides, all the gaming videos on Youtube indicate that it is indeed possible to game on your PC. So the right hardware must be out there.