Super Metroid - Boss

Rozovian

yeah sorry Rho that wasn't a very good review, considering the effort you put into mine. What's good about your song is your strong rearrangement sense :D, I think you just gotta raise the volumes and give it phatter samples. You've retained the desperate battle-ish feel that the original has which is good IMO. Also, it needs more direction, i.e. new instruments, a counter melody (if there isn't one already, please excuse my ignorance if there is one), an even bigger increase in the already intense feel to it, or on the contrary a real nice breakdown with fat, epic minor chord pads, etc.

Plus, like you earlier said, you've got tons of room to add new instruments and such. USE it as best as you can, this song craves for more, and it needs some more epic flava. Not a bad start dude :D

Sorry I couldn't be more detailed, I kinda suck at reviews.

Okay, been sick with a fever the past few days, so I wasn't feeling like writing something long about my own remix. A little late, but here goes:

It's a weird style. The mixing isn't far progressed. I haven't worked out the direction/progression yet, nor the ending - it's end-less! :D

In-depth details are appreciated, but I think I'd prefer some general feedback now, mostly on arrangement and style, but anything goes.

Okay, been sick with a fever the past few days, so I wasn't feeling like writing something long about my own remix. A little late, but here goes:

It's a weird style. The mixing isn't far progressed. I haven't worked out the direction/progression yet, nor the ending - it's end-less! :D

In-depth details are appreciated, but I think I'd prefer some general feedback now, mostly on arrangement and style, but anything goes.

aw, I hope you'll recovery fully :(

DAMN good rearrangement and could potentially become one of my favorite Metroid songs. It's understandable that your not sure where its gonna end becasue the original song was meant to loop. It will be a challenge to find something that works. But from the looks of your rearrangement thus far, I don't think you'll have much trouble with that.

I'm not sure what style you want this to turn into but it seems sorta short. If it is gonna be techno or something i would say that it probably should be longer, (perhaps double?).

Some better samples and melodies, I think, are the key to making this piece work. I didn't like the chime/bell thing in the beginning. It sounded too fake. Also, the keyboard sound sounded a little out of place. You should probably turn that into something else. Well actually, it only sound weird in some places, like when you do a quick motion in higher notes. Otherwise it rocks in general. HoboKa was right on the money. The bass DOES sound muffled and quite. Boost that up and some of the other important pieces and you should be in business.

I'll keep listening to this and posting feedback when I hear something. A good Metroid remix always gets me pumped.

I've gotten loads of feedback from friends on msn messenger, and on #ocrwip, but most of the time, ppl seem to have a hard time understanding it. Either it's the constant time sig changes, or the minimalist style, or just confusion as to what I want it to sound like. The mixing was really raw, which was the most useful feedback I got.

The bass/lead was a sample (hence the blatant looping on higher notes), I've replaced it with a synth. Several of the drums have also been replaced. I've EQ'd parts so they're a bit more separated. When I'm less sick and have re-arranged some of the sections, I'll post the next one.

Same WiP.

Listening to it now....I can recognize the source without having to check the midi, so thats a good thing. Loved the switch ups in tempo and the varying drumwork, in fact thats what made this mix stand out from so many other Ridley mixes I've heard. The beginning and middle seems much more melodically interpretative than the ending section, I would work on interpreting the ending more. Also most of the time the melody is doubled at a different octave; not bad at all, but you definitely need some new harmonic content (chords, countermelodies) to give it depth.

As far as production, adding more intense presence to the drums (volume, EQ) could give this a lot more power. Right now the drums are sequenced strongly and the transition great, but they still sound a little too light. Also I would suggest articulating your leads more (frequency automation, EQ, playing with effects like chorus and distortion). Being a Super Metroid fan, I love this source and I love where youre going with it. Stick with it!

Listening to it now....I can recognize the source without having to check the midi, so thats a good thing. Loved the switch ups in tempo and the varying drumwork, in fact thats what made this mix stand out from so many other Ridley mixes I've heard. The beginning and middle seems much more melodically interpretative than the ending section, I would work on interpreting the ending more. Also most of the time the melody is doubled at a different octave; not bad at all, but you definitely need some new harmonic content (chords, countermelodies) to give it depth.

As far as production, adding more intense presence to the drums (volume, EQ) could give this a lot more power. Right now the drums are sequenced strongly and the transition great, but they still sound a little too light. Also I would suggest articulating your leads more (frequency automation, EQ, playing with effects like chorus and distortion). Being a Super Metroid fan, I love this source and I love where youre going with it. Stick with it!

yeah lol that's what I've been trying to say, minus the EQ cuz I know jack about that, but yeah this song needs more intensity and your leads need to be boom in your face.

Nice fast melodic rhythms. I'd probably screw up the pitches to sound too colorful harmonically, which isn't the case here, so it sounds good 'n' theory-like.

People are mentioning countermelodies but I seem to like counter-rhythms, if that's even a proper term, and think more stuff rhythmically could be done to enhance the first 1/4 of this, like [0:22-0:30]-ish (which repeats near the end). 0:12-0:18's lead might be too plain, rhythmically; I can't tell. Though the backing rhythm is certainly appealing. Also some obvious 32nds/more rhythmic density would be cool around 1:29-1:30.

0:42-1:12 sounds smooth n groovy. (Not that other parts are particularly problematic).

It's all a very fitting arrangement, but stylistically it needs better samples to fit into any real genre of sorts, really, rather than worrying about EQ too much. If better samples aren't possible, no matter; I, at least, can just use some imagination. Might help to have some effects in the background, created by a soundscape of more sophisticated samples, to fill in the gaps in people's listening ears, since this kind of action, when geared to be produced to the max (which may not be the case here), generally leaves many frequency ranges screaming to be fulfilled. A problem with doing so might be it could become too muddy unless you're a production master (hyperbole).

Boz, Rod, Audity, thanks. Hobo has gotten his share of thanks over msn. Your feedback has helped me with some of the mixing, tho with additional isntruments, the sound has changed a bit too much for the feedback to apply anymore.

Changes in order of appearance:

-Added a room reverb, fixed EQ, multiband compression, loads of master fixes

-I've added a whistly pad thingy

-I've tweaked the bell synth and made it play longer.

-I've done some cutoff sweeps with the master EQ :D

-Snare is more prominent, basslead is a synth, background "guitar" is more in the bg

-Changed the time sig of a section

-Added a synth playing the basslead melody a few octaves up, and some new material

-Added an interlude

-Added another lead isntrument

Changes I know I'll have to make:

-Ending

-Some transitions

-Making the whistly pad thingy less modulated and hard on the ears

-Tweaking stuff

So, without further ramblings, I give you:

The NEW WIP

I liked some of the EQ in the first WIP compared to this one. I think it might have something to do with the EQ cutoffs you mentioned. With how limited the samples are, in sound depth, in both WIPs, I don't think any closure/smoothening/cutting-off of EQ fits the genre it's trying to be. As such, it's hard to tell which parts are better than the first WIP, because the entire EQ sounds like a downgrade. I'm sure comparison between the two WIPs would get much clearer if the EQ was more open/big instead of closed/cut off/muffled. One thing's for sure is the whistle thing by itself drones on with no real accompaniment, because it's so completely by itself, making for a separation of genres rather than a fusion of them, losing the main genre's momentum.

Pitch bends near end are nice. Overall the closest this style gets to is Protricity's, but you probably know that.

For most parts - synths, NOT samples. Cutoff sweeps aren't the same as muffling EQ. It's when it goes from clear EQ to crappy EQ and then back again. Dunno what you've heard that made you consider the whole track more muffled, aside from the general levels fix (not EQ) to make it less shrill and have more punch.

The whistle is now accompanied by other instruments. As for the whole thing being a bit protrific, yeah I know, that's what I kept hearing on #ocrwip. :D

New WIP! (v3b2)

For most parts - synths, NOT samples. Cutoff sweeps aren't the same as muffling EQ. It's when it goes from clear EQ to crappy EQ and then back again. Dunno what you've heard that made you consider the whole track more muffled, aside from the general levels fix (not EQ) to make it less shrill and have more punch.

The whistle is now accompanied by other instruments. As for the whole thing being a bit protrific, yeah I know, that's what I kept hearing on #ocrwip. :D

New WIP! (v3b2)

Rozo I know that synths are handy and all, but they aren't necessarily the best "samples", unless you have Korg, or bah I'm tired can't think of other examples, but you know what I mean. Basically, what I'm trying to get at, is there's a whole whackload of decent free sound fonts out there and other goodies. (Also you might wanna consider getting some beef-up vsts for your tracks). I know this is ironic coming from me when the J's keep on saying that my sample quality is like shitting in your ears, but yeah...just consider my words. Or stamp them out with your boots of self righteous fury. Now get back to remixin' and put some more oomph in your tracks damnit :P~!!!

:shock:oh, this is too good to pass up...

i like the feel of it. it contains the original message (always a plus). whats with the dropout about 2 mins. in? i think this is one of those tracks that needs to get more intense throughout with a mind fuck ending that leaves you wanting more, ya know. I like how it picks back up but that climax is too short. my biggest irk on this though is the part where you lose the bass at about 1 min., i don't know what to suggest except that right now it sounds like a radio playing on a TV if you understand what i'm saying. I certainly can understand the idea but there is too much of a fade in sound quality there. maybe try to keep some kind of harmony going instead of dropping to nothing but the melody. i don't know, i guess it's just open to interpretation ;-), other than those two things, i have nothing else to suggest. it's a good fight sound and it certainly retains its metroidiness (is that a new word...yes, yes it is!) It could be longer, but it's current length isn't necessarily a bad thing.

anyway, overall i like it, but it's not a heart stopper yet. a tweaking here and there, i think you got it.

Boz, thanks man - but it IS getting better. :D

BWS, I know what you mean. The break is meant to be something of a breather where you know it's not over, but nothing's happening, like the friggin space dragon is just watching, waiting for you to let your guard down. That was, at least, the plan, at some point.

And for the metroidiness, that was my intension all along. :D I could have turned it into swing, ska, electronic bluegrass, attempted orchestral grandeur, but felt the source deserved a good remix. With the exception of this boss tune in virt's Super Metroid magnum opus, I haven't heard a good remix of it. Not on vgmix, not here, not in Prime or on the Brawl website... So I wanted one that's bigger and badder than the original without losing the time signature, the intensity, the mayhem...

It's still missing an end, tho.

Hoboka, yours sounds like a midi rip, but there's a couple of really cool synths there. :P

--

Anyway, quick update, NEW WiP. I've already gotten some feedbakc on this version, but I'll give everyone the chance to express themselves about it.

Things left to do:

-ending

-key change somewhere

-possibly changing the soundscaping for more variety

-possibly using an organ

-something I don't remember atm, help me!

:D

Post # 400!! :D

:dstrbd: holy crap.

do you know what a grudge fuck is? my friend this is a grudge fuck. samus v. phantoon, and samus ain't got a sub tank kinda stuff. cool. much fuller and richer than previous. like a double fudge chocolate i-need-insulin-now cake that's been frosted with sugar base...

i don't know where i was going with that, i'm tired.

Good idea, really bad execution. The arrangement is cool, and the minimalist idea is a great IDEA, but I don't think you're pulling it off correctly. Minimalism sounds good when done in a way so that it doesn't sound empty and hollow, which unfortunately, this track does...

I can't exactly put my finger on it, but I think you need more in the way of instrumentation, and more layering. If you keep the composition intact and focus on adding more intricate layering of sounds, this song would sound good. And add a good bassline.