MMORPG-inspired story

Steben

I was reading this article on Joystiq, and it reminded me of something someone posted here a couple years back.

It was a short story someone had written about a heist he pulled on a ridiculously large amount of in-game currency in some real or fictional MMORPG. He spent months becoming an important and respected player in this virtual world, just to rip off a huge amount of game money from someone who trusted him.

I.. can't remember the name of the story, or really anything that'd assist in a Google search. I believe the MMORPG was space-themed, if that helps. I wonder if anyone else remembers this story, or perhaps knows of other good MMORPG-based stories.

I was reading this article on Joystiq, and it reminded me of something someone posted here a couple years back.

It was a short story someone had written about a heist he pulled on a ridiculously large amount of in-game currency in some real or fictional MMORPG. He spent months becoming an important and respected player in this virtual world, just to rip off a huge amount of game money from someone who trusted him.

I.. can't remember the name of the story, or really anything that'd assist in a Google search. I believe the MMORPG was space-themed, if that helps. I wonder if anyone else remembers this story, or perhaps knows of other good MMORPG-based stories.

EVE Online, and here you go:

http://www.wirm.net/nightfreeze/part1.html

I think there were two story's for the Game in question,EVE.

One was where a player and his buddy created a false corporation to create a high class war ship,while the second is a player would created a false bank system in which he stole several billion or more of Isk with said bank scheme.

I had a link to the first one but its dead now.

Edit:Looks like Zircon has the first one,but heres the second one,he stole over 700 Billion Isk,which at the time had a total resale value of over 100000 dollars on Ebay.

http://arstechnica.com/news.ars/post/20060828-7605.html

Truly epic.

Yeah, I remember reading that, and thinking how ridiculous it was that people freaked out and wanted to get all legal about it. To my mind, that guy demonstrated how MMOs should be played. Epic heists, intrigue, mystery, murder! Some big and interesting stuff going on, rather than hundreds of hours of grinding and harvesting.

I mean, there ought to be a way for him to run off with all the money... and there ought to be a way for an alliance of the victims to go after him and try to retrieve their money... and he ought to be able to use his resources to assemble all kinds of defensive measures. And if the players ever do track him down and get the goods back, one of them ought to be able to scam everyone else again and run off with the loot before it can be redistributed. Years later, bits of the original money continue to turn up, like stolen Nazi gold.

EVE Online, and here you go:

http://www.wirm.net/nightfreeze/part1.html

Yup. This is exactly what I was thinking of, thanks.

So, this actually happened? For some reason I thought it was fiction. Huh. That's pretty cool, though.

I agree with yangfelli... I don't play any MMOs, but if I did, I think it'd be important that people didn't let ingame items or currency have real value. That way people could choose to RP as a criminal if they wanted, and the only punishment they could receive would be ingame, as per the "laws" of that virtual world.

I don't play any MMOs, but if I did, I think it'd be important that people didn't let ingame items or currency have real value.

Well, selling ingame currency for cash is usually forbidden on all MMOs. But its a difficult thing to enforce. Most any game with the ability to trade items or currency between players leaves the possibility of people grinding all day/week/month for said currency in an attempt to sell it for real world cash.

That being said, EVE GMs are usually pretty swift to deal with RMT accounts they see.

After reading that EVE Online appears to be a much cooler game than I ever gave it credit for.

Though I do feel bad for the one guy that loaned him his starting money; he should have returned his investment to him after the scam was completed.