*NO* Adventures of Batman & Robin (SNES) 'Amused to Death'

Liontamer

"What if we say no?" - LT

Hi, here's a remix I've been wanting to do for a long time, and finally did it. As I'm quite happy with the result, I thought I'd see if you like it enough to post on the site, and also in order to receive some honest feedback. The remix is highly influenced by The Wicked (one of my favorite metal bands), Danny Elfman's work, and the 1989 movie "Batman".

Contact Info:

Remixer: Diseased Project

Submission Info:

Name of game arranged: The Adventures of Batman & Robin (please note that it's the SNES version, which is a completely different game than the GEN-version. They only share the same name)

Name of individual songs arranged: City & Funhouse respectively

-----------------------------------------------------------

Not sure why this sub had the name of one of the SPC files, especially one that doesn't seem to be involved in the arrangement. Oh well.

http://snesmusic.org/v2/download.php?spcNow=abr - "Tale of the Cat" (abr-14.spc) & "Joker's Funhouse" (abr-05.spc)

As much as I love the clip opening things up, it's arguably too long.

I have no idea what's being used after 1:48 because it doesn't particularly sound like "Joker's Funhouse", but the structure sounds taken from one of the tunes. More Batman score stuff that I DO recognize as being used in "Joker's Funhouse", from 2:21-2:30 & 2:47-3:15. Joker clips were overused at 2:31 and 2:42. Just sounds thrown in there for no real reason. With the way this is, I'd just settle for using the clips to intro and outro the piece. Don't add tackiness by overdoing it.

Melodically and structurally, not much difference from the originals, both "Tale of the Cat" and the Batman movie score parts I recognized from "Joker's Funhouse". Even retaining basically the same instrumentation for the leads. It's a cool cover and there's some expansion, but not particularly interpretive in any way.

Anyway, even if everything was clicking on all cylinders with the performance and production, the source tunes use parts of the Batman movie score, so you've inherited them here (e.g. 1:11-1:29). Unfortunately though, we don't accept tracks incorporating substantial non-VGM arrangement. It doesn't matter that the movie score was weaved into the game soundtrack, because the movie score wasn't originally created for this game soundtrack. (Section 3, Part 3 of the Standards: "Any incorporation or arrangement of source material not from games (mainstream, classical, etc.) should be extremely limited.") 55 seconds' worth of a 2:54-long arrangement (only counting the music) is clearly going beyond "extremely limited."

So in short, lengthy usage of the movie score = no-go. Even if the source material was all clear, this was too cover-ish and not interpretive enough, both in the lead instrumentation and the structure. The way this was put together was otherwise good, IMO, and if you came at us with a more interpretive arrangement, I think you'd have a good shot at passing, Timo. That being said, I definitely hope you'll submit more material in the future.

NO

This is very similar to the originals on a part-by-part basis (some of the instruments even sound the same), and a lot of the changes involve drawing the source tunes out without adding new parts. Seemed conservative overall, and the transitions were pretty awkward. The heavy usage of the Batman theme (even though it is in the source music) and clips would also make this a NO. Larry explained the standards well. I have to say I did like the choir coming in at 0:57 - very reminiscent of Batman without directly referencing it.

This had generally strong sounds and an epic scope, but I felt there was a lot of part conflict. EQ is your friend, to help those quieter parts shine through. I also thought the section starting at 1:48 sounded really unnatural, almost like the drum track was skipping.

So while this ReMix might not be the one that puts you on the board, I think you've got potential. I'd encourage you to send something else our way.

NO

Yeah it really follows the structure of the originals far too closely, and coupled with the Batman movie theme incorporation, it doesn't really jive with the standards. Still, a nicely executed piece of music; drums and guitar are particularly nice.

Anyway, gonna have to say NO on this one. Hope to hear from you again.

An aside, not having to do with my vote: The smattering of Joker voice clips also gets old pretty fast, to be honest. I'm not a fan of their usage here.